OMG spells galore

so new to the preist have a druid pally and shammy that raided with back at 80, and im sitting at 62 with this preist who for now is disc and OMG theres alot of spells lol running out of HB buttons lol and i see 2 more coming at later lvls... guess my question is really r there some that just arent used later on at 85 i mean i see a little use in all of them but atm having a ton of mana for my lvl im able to spam the bubble,renew and poh and lead the charts in dps while keeping every one topped off and never dropping below 50% mana.. for now i find myself never using heal, greater heal, binding heal, and penance... i know once im into cata lvl dungeons im gonna have to relearn everything and what im doing now wont work but is there anything we just dont use?

Deleted
    penance should be used a lot more :P

Also it depends on the fight, but i use all my spells somewhere.

Most of them are used, including Binding Heal. You'll find you'll be using pretty much all your spells as Disc, including Smite if you spec into Atonement. I don't play Disc so I don't really know other than there's two ways you can go about it. One way would using Smite/Atonement and Archangel and the other picking up some talents elsewhere.

Holy tends to be more focused around AoE healing and using Heal/Greater Heal/Flash Heal are situational. I've played both specs and Holy is definately easier to start out with but for me I just don't get on with healing as a Priest. I prefer my Shaman over anything; but I could also say Priest is my least favourite healing class because of the effort and the amount of spells you have to use to be effective as the other classes.

Since the person before me pretty much covered holy, I won't mention that. If your going to go disc, you will pretty much use every single one of your healing spells (I would recommend the Smite/Atonement spec which adds a few more buttons, but you almost have to time your archangel to stay competitive with other healers). The spells you will use least at 85, however, will be flash heal and renew. I probably use those spells 0-2 times per raid fight, but they are still worth being keybound. Try not to get too friendly with that bubble spam. That will oom you fast at 85...unless you wanna pay off a friendly boomkin to feed you innervate on cd.

Edit: on a side note. I saw you were using HB, just bind your major cds (PW: barrier, PI, Inner Focus, Divine Hymn, Shadow Fiend, Hymn of Hope) and offensive spells to your keyboard....then you will just have enough room for actual healing spells in HB :P
    Last edited by Teresaduex; 2011-02-23 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want an overview of spells and how and when to use them, there's a guide in my sig. It's a Holy Priest Guide, but the spell section should still help you out. Just replace the mention of Holy Word: Serenity with Penance.
    The spell selection of a healing priest can be staggering, and they all have a use. Be sure you know what each spell does.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

If you really are struggling with the amount of spells (as I do) and are crap with keybinds I recommend getting a raid frame addon called VuhDo which will give you clickable healing bars. Assign spells to all the buttons on your mouse and set modifier keys such as Shift, Ctrl and Alt to set more. This is great for me as I use the default keybinds on my keyboard and don't like setting q,e,r,f,c, etc for skills.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    atonement disc healing is fun and effective for 5 mans. havent tried it much in raids except for bh, and that really doesnt count. you will use almost all of the spells available on a regular basis, although as was posted above, renew and flash heal are just not that effective when compared to heal/gheal.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, we use them all. The only thing I don't have readily available is Mind Soothe (LOL). Anyhow, having a click heal set up works well. I use Clique & Grid, but I hear good things about Vuhdo too. Binding your heals to clicks including Alt, Shift and Ctrl options will save you a ton of keybindings.

Best of luck and welcome to Priesthood.

As a holy priest with a 17 button mouse, I use 16 buttons. Of those, one is for target and one is for vent. The rest are ALL healing related spells, not a one is damage.

Greater Heal
    Heal
    Flash Heal
    Renew
    PoH
    PoM
    CoH
    Guardian Spirit
    Binding Heal
    PW:S
    Chakra Spells
    Cure Disease
    LifeGrip
    Dispel Magic

Enjoy!

Lifegrip is the only thing you need on your bar.

Yep...you'll use nearly all of them when raiding at 85.

I use most of these keybinds on every raid boss.

Penance, Greater Heal (macroed with Inner Focus), Renew, Smite, Prayer of Healing, Archangel, Binding Heal, Pain Suppression, Power Infusion, PW:Shield, PW:Barrier, Prayer of Mending, Shadowfiend, Dispel Magic, Cure Disease, Holy Nova, Flash Heal.

Then I'm a nub and click Hymm of Hope, Divine Hymm, and Leap of Faith.

Only spells that are not key-bound, are Heal (find it 'still' useless, since any hit nowadays needs at least 5 of these cast, so better go for GHeal), both hymns are clickable, and so is fear ward.
    Mind soothe is probably non existent in my spell book.
    I also got a couple offensive spells added for whenever I am the last man standing and the mob is at or less than 2%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaga View Post
    Only spells that are not key-bound, are Heal (find it 'still' useless, since any hit nowadays needs at least 5 of these cast, so better go for GHeal), both hymns are clickable, and so is fear ward.
    Mind soothe is probably non existent in my spell book.
    I also got a couple offensive spells added for whenever I am the last man standing and the mob is at or less than 2%.
    Hmm I'm just at 11/12 but I can pretty much keep up tanks on most figths with healspam and actually gain mana while doing it.

lol thx for the replies i pretty much figured i would be using em all lol was hoping 2 or 3 would be on the ah i never use this list lol,,, but ah well a far cry from the days of spamming HL on my pally or chain heal and riptide on my shammy lol (havnet played either of which since cata lol and i know its dif now)