Thread: Hawking Paradox

Hawking Paradox

I found this topic very interesting. Its been theorized 30 years ago by Stephen Hawking that Blackholes destory physical information and is lost forever. It upset many physicists for so long because it basically says that all they have learned for the last 100 years about the laws of nature would be false. And I can't remember when but, recently Leonard Susskind found out that Stephen Hawking was wrong and that Black holes do not erase information, it just scrambles it beyond belief of recognition. The theory behind that is that blackholes emite radiation particles/protons. Now, Stephen Hawking came back just recently and claimed that he and Susskind are both wrong. He announced that black holes do not scramble the information but still suck the information through the black hole and it is tossed into a new universe. Both of these physicists have agreed that multiple universes exist in theory. So with that said, its possible that the information sucked into a black hole is tossed into another universe that doesn't have blackholes and therefore the information is not lost.

Anyone think Stephen Hawking is losing his touch on this?
    Last edited by Son of Lothar; 2011-02-23 at 05:22 PM.

This is very interesting. However, there is something Im still confused about. Susskind mentioned that if a person was to get sucked into the black hole the observer would see the person get stretched and become "speghettifaction" where piece by piece - particle by particle just striped from eachother and broken down as small as possible till you see nothing left. Basically you would a see a brutal ending to the person who got sucked in. The person experiencing it however, is expereincing no extreme conditions what-so-ever as if time has stopped.

This seems backwards to me. I thought that when the observer sees an object enter the event horizon of a black hole that you never see the object fully go into the black hole because time starts to slow down and so to the observer can still see the object but in reality the object has already passed the event horizon and fallen into the unknown. I think this is just crazy.... I don't know what to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarwiseman View Post
    No, I don't think he's losing his touch. Every time he says something someone comes out and says 'Well that Stephen Hawking's gone nuts', usually on no good basis. However you don't seem to be one of those people that blindly discredit 'just because'. Would you mind explaining why you think he's lost his touch? (P.S. I'm not trying to say he's always right or anything, I don't believe he is.)

IIRC, part of the multiple universe theory is that gravity from different universes can interfere with each other, when this happens black holes are created in both universes, and everything sucked into them is spewed out into a newly created third universe.
    Of course not, I have a ton of respect for Hawking. He is the reason I am so interested in cosmology and physics (which I admit am a complete novice). Hawking still hasn't produced the mathematical formula yet to support his theory on transfering information from one universe to the next through black holes. However, it just seems like the scientific community is losing their faith in him due to his unfortunate condition. If Blackholes are created in both universes how is possible to claim that there are some universes that do not have black holes which ultimately made the conclusion that the information can not be lost.
    Last edited by Son of Lothar; 2011-02-23 at 07:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always pictured Black holes being an outcome of Anti-Materia.
    Last edited by vian; 2011-02-23 at 06:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    I've always pictured Black holes being an outcome of Anti-Materia.
    Did you mean anti-matter?