Cure Disease / Dispel Magic

So, I purchased a new 17 button mouse about a month ago and a holy paladin friend was helping me macro my spells. He was, to begin, surprised by how many healing spells I had to macro.

"Do you use them ALL?!"
    "Yes, I use them all."

But, then he noticed that I have to press a button to cure disease and press a different button to dispel magic. He said his is the same button. Then, a druid in my guild said their cleanses are the same button as well. Is this true? Are we the only class that has them divided into two different spells? If so, why? Why can't they combine them?

as far as I know we are the only class who has two different dispels.

I doubt there is a good reason for it.

Umm, your dispel magic is also the only one that removes two of them and it works offensively and defensively. It's by far the most powerful dispel type spell in the game.

This is correct. but think of it this way..
    The pally version is called cleanse and it can only cleanse disease/poison as baseline BUT if you spec into holy you can put a talent point to also remove 1 magic effect.
    The same applies for druids except their ability is called remove corruption.
    As a priest, you get both of these abilities baseline except as two different spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Maisey View Post
    So, I purchased a new 17 button mouse about a month ago and a holy paladin friend was helping me macro my spells. He was, to begin, surprised by how many healing spells I had to macro.

"Do you use them ALL?!"
    "Yes, I use them all."

But, then he noticed that I have to press a button to cure disease and press a different button to dispel magic. He said his is the same button. Then, a druid in my guild said their cleanses are the same button as well. Is this true? Are we the only class that has them divided into two different spells? If so, why? Why can't they combine them?
    Quote Originally Posted by LimeSudz View Post
    as far as I know we are the only class who has two different dispels.

I doubt there is a good reason for it.
    There is. Dispel can be used as a magic dispell or a purge, hence another spell for remove curse. We can also dispel 2 magic debuffs at once + a disease (total 3), on par with other classes that remove 3 types of debuff. Priest has the strongest dispel ability in the game considering that like 70% debuff/buff is magic type, and better, its baseline spell so spriest can also make use of it too!

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    There is. Dispel can be used as a magic dispell or a purge, hence another spell for remove curse. We can also dispel 2 magic debuffs at once + a disease (total 3), on par with other classes that remove 3 types of debuff. Priest has the strongest dispel ability in the game considering that like 70% debuff/buff is magic type, and better, its baseline spell so spriest can also make use of it too!
    I stand corrected.

Dispel magic is usable in shadow form to help with dispels/purge magic on mobs, Cure Disease pops you out of shadow form (meant to be used by healy priests)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maisey View Post
    I believe its because of that talent some other healers have that allows us to use our cleansing spell to remove 2 different kinds of debuffs.

Like Shaman's Cleanse Spirit, when Talented, can remove curses and magic effects.
    Paladins', when talented, can remove disease and poisons and magic effects.
    I bet its the same with Druids too (I've never had a resto druid).
    For priest, if I recall, you get 2 separate spells instead of just one that removes two to three different effects in one spell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Resto Shaman: Cleanse Spirit - Friendly Magic + Curse // Purge - Offensive Magic

Holy Paladin: Cleanse - Poison + Disease + Friendly Magic (wtf nerf?)

Resto Druid: Remove Corruption - Poison + Curse + Friendly Magic (wtf nerf!)

Priest: Dispel Magic - Friendly Magic + Offensive Magic // Cure Disease - Disease