Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ultra settings, max(?) fps? Narwhal? Unicorn?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...p-of-the-Month

What does puppy/dolphin/narwhal/unicorn mean? I realize unicorn>narwhal>dolphin>puppy, but why are these names used?

Also, I decided to try something on my moms $400 laptop, i turned my settings down as low as they could go in WoW, and my fps ranged from 47-63. I thought 60 was the max? If not, what is the max, and why do people not seek it(or maybe they do?)?

Anyway, most importantly, which one of those setups would i need to run WoW at max settings at a constant max fps?

because average human eyes can't see diff over 60 fps and yet it's so smal that useless to try to aim higher.

Unicon and Narwhal shoudl run at max with no prob might have to tune down some setting with dolphin(but not Major one)

Quote Originally Posted by 0vergil0 View Post
    because average human eyes can't see diff over 60 fps and yet it's so smal that useless to try to aim higher.

Unicon and Narwhal shoudl run at max with no prob might have to tune down some setting with dolphin(but not Major one)
    Tyvm.

Anyone know what those names stem from(puppy, dolphin, narwhal, unicorn)? Also, just out of curiosity, what is the max fps?

Quote Originally Posted by 0vergil0 View Post

Actually anything over 30 is rarely noticable.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhailPally View Post
    It's noticable in the way that it looks way smoother with ~100 fps...

10+ Year Old Account
    You know nothing about the subject.

That the human eye would have an FPS limit is a myth.

120Hz screens are coming to the market because we CAN notice the difference.

But at the moment, 60Hz LCD screens are the norm, thus having Vsync enabled in-game using a 60Hz screen will result in the game limiting itself to 60fps max.

I'm sorry I'm mad but we need to put this human-eye-x-fps-bullshit myth to death.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-02-24 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also keep in mind Movies that operate at 24/30 fps use a different method to project the frames than standard monitors. So you cannot compare the 30 fps used in movies to the fps in gaming. Gaming is a whole different story on fps and has been reported that users have noticed differences in up to 90 fps on certain games using 120hz monitors. It all depends on the engine and how the frames are handled mostly too be honest since there are games that can indeed run smooth at 30-40 fps.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-02-24 at 12:36 PM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

idiot.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Assuming vsync is off, the max fps is well over 300FPS in WOW.

less babble more facts..
    so much half truth in here..

so lets begin.

How many Frames per second can the human eye recognize? I dont know , alot - but i cant give you a number because data processing in a brain is not yet fully understood.

How many frames per second in a computergame would make it look like totally smooth:
    This depends on the amout of movement you do!
    If your standing still you might get the impression of everything beeing smooth with only 20 frames per second

but the faster you move the bigger the difference between the current frame and the next frame (at 20frames per second those frames are 1/20 seconds apart.

Is the difference too big your brain thinks : woah thats no smooth!
    thats why you need more frames per second if you move fast if you have 60 fps your frames are 1/60 th seconds apart. thus the difference in the frames cant be that big as compared to the 20fps frame! ( both times you do the exact same movement which takes the exact same time )

so: the faster you move ingame the more fps you need to fool your brain into thinking : it is smoothly rendered

in a slow game like sim city i need only 30 fps, but in a shoter i need 120 fps for smooth play.
    so : THE more fps the better.

so the big question : WHY are movies then in 25 fps and why are people saying _: because movies are at 25 frames you dont need any more!

THATS PLAIN WRONG:

movies are at 25 frames because they use a trick , called MOTION BLUR
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Radsport.jpg

in the picture you can see a SINGLE FRAME of a 25 fps movie.
    IT is not sharp like a screenshot of a game!
    because of this blurryness the brain is easier to fool into thinking : thats a smooth transition.

Try it out for yourself: watch a movie and push PAUSE - is it blurry? YES IT IS..
    take a screenshot in a game : IS IT BLURY? NO!
    ---------------------

Why dont use motion blur in games then - wouldnt that make me need less FPS?
    TRUE!
    done in crysis for example.
    enabling motion blur effect lets you play more easily at low framerates!

-------
    So whats max FPS in wow ? its unlimeted if you put in in the config... because its a technical value its only restricted by your hardware. NOT YOUR EYES
    So whats VSYNC ? its limiting the fps to the vertical refressh rate of your display. TURN IT OFF unless you have a PC you can VSYNC with 120 hz
    thanks for your attention NOW u know
    Last edited by Jalatiphra; 2011-02-24 at 12:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    120Hz screens are coming to the market because we CAN notice the difference.
    these are used for 3D Glasses, one Frame per eye, still 60 FPS.
    While faster FPS might be noticeable (up to certain points), for animated images 20+ is sufficient.

On modern monitors (read TFT/oLED )its impossible in most cases to notice the FPS as pixels have a Light to Dark Ratio of ~1:0. On CRTs pixels were lid for a time and then decayed. On modern monitors the pixel just changes its colour.
    You can still notice frames in animations to a certain point but in still-images you cant differ 1 FPS from 60 FPS from a Million FPS.
    Also, guess at 60FPS you cant notice the difference to 50. Just try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    less babble more facts..

in a slow game like sim city i need only 30 fps, but in a shoter i need 120 fps for smooth play.
    so : THE more fps the better.
    Speaking of babble, there are also few interesting flipsides when people claiming they can see differences in 100fps+ speeds.

Even if your eye can see something happening at 1/100 second speed, it does not mean you can actually understand what it means. The brain is wired to blur out details and generate all kinds of strange associations from what you actually see. Single frames at over 25fps speed usually goes into subliminal messages than through actual reasoning process and you probably will not for example see a difference between green van and green mailbox in a picture of empty road. Your brain makes the best guess it can (since it's road, it's most likely a car). You can't really make rational choice based on anything seen so fast, but just a best guess

Another thing is reaction speed. Assuming you can make informed and rational decision, reaction speed is nowhere near 1/100 of a second. The false start limit is 1/10 second in sports, and the best sprint runners in the world can reach about 1/9 of second reaction speed from the start signal. Brute force generalization means that 9fps is already fast enough to match the reaction speed of world's best athletes for making informed decisions and react accordingly. So in reality there's really very little point with 100-200fps speeds in real time shooters when your reaction speed is so far below it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i totally agree
    your absolutley fine with 100-200 fps
    i was talking from a general point of view.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok just needed to say this, i just saw this thread and i just hade to try it, so i hucked upp my pc to my 8th ser ,Samsung led 55" 3d ,200 Hz tv and turned on the 3d settings to play wow. And dam it was amizing like a new game hahahaha gunna try to do some raid conten and se how that feals

only because your display has 200 Hz doesnt imply you got 200 fps

its a better experience because of the size and the 3d . not because the framerate.
    your framerate actually should have gone lower because of the 3d feature needing to render a frame for every eye

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    your framerate actually should have gone lower because of the 3d feature needing to render a frame for every eye
    The TV is also adding some motion blur which hides the lowered framerate. 200hz TV with 1080p24 / i50 / i60 material means that it's pulling a lot of inbetween frames from thin air to add extra smoothness.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Speaking of babble, there are also few interesting flipsides when people claiming they can see differences in 100fps+ speeds.

Even if your eye can see something happening at 1/100 second speed, it does not mean you can actually understand what it means. The brain is wired to blur out details and generate all kinds of strange associations from what you actually see. Single frames at over 25fps speed usually goes into subliminal messages than through actual reasoning process and you probably will not for example see a difference between green van and green mailbox in a picture of empty road. Your brain makes the best guess it can (since it's road, it's most likely a car). You can't really make rational choice based on anything seen so fast, but just a best guess

Another thing is reaction speed. Assuming you can make informed and rational decision, reaction speed is nowhere near 1/100 of a second. The false start limit is 1/10 second in sports, and the best sprint runners in the world can reach about 1/9 of second reaction speed from the start signal. Brute force generalization means that 9fps is already fast enough to match the reaction speed of world's best athletes for making informed decisions and react accordingly. So in reality there's really very little point with 100-200fps speeds in real time shooters when your reaction speed is so far below it.
    Um, wouldnt reaction time be added onto the time it takes for your screen to update, not folded into? Ie <-----><--> First <-> is the time it takes for your screen to update, second <-> is your reaction time. It's not <---<--->--->. You can't begin to react to something that hasnt shown up on your screen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    What does puppy/dolphin/narwhal/unicorn mean? I realize unicorn>narwhal>dolphin>puppy, but why are these names used?
    For fun, and because a name is easier to label them rather than saying "the budget version" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    Also, I decided to try something on my moms $400 laptop, i turned my settings down as low as they could go in WoW, and my fps ranged from 47-63. I thought 60 was the max?
    With VSync on, your FPS is limited to the refresh rate of your monitor. In most case this is 55-60Hz, so it limits to 55-60 FPS. Turning off VSync removes that limiter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to ask, how's possible, when you're driving car, wheels of car next to you driving in same direction looks like they're not turning?
    If you know RPM of the cars wheel, couldnt you calculate FPS your eyes can see at that conditions?
    English is not my mainspec!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druidicitus View Post
    I have to ask, how's possible, when you're driving car, wheels of car next to you driving in same direction looks like they're not turning?
    If you know RPM of the cars wheel, couldnt you calculate FPS your eyes can see at that conditions?
    The easy answer is no. Life displays as one fluid movement. Your vision does not have a refresh rate. No refresh rate means no "x" per second (frames, refresh, whatever). It's literally impossible to put a framerate on our vision. Period.

We can say that near "x" framerate, things look smooth, but this will vary person to person and be dependent on whether motion blur or other visual effects are added. To one person, 25fps might be fine. To another, 45fps might be fine. To another, they may need 60fps. Also, as Jalatiphra said, it depends on movement. A first-person shooter might need more framerate than an RPG to appear smoother, based on constant movement and spinning back and forth.