10+ Year Old Account

Port forwarding. Oh the horror.

Hi, so I'm having some issues with my torrent clients and download states.

As you may have guessed the trouble I'm facing is that any of the ports I try are, well, closed.

So I've tried to gather up the info I can about the issue, in hopes that someone greater than me can help sort this out:

1: I have selected a port between 49 and 60k
    2: Disabled all software firewalls for the purpose of testing.

This is where it gets funny, I have a modem (allthough my modem is a router aswell) connecting to my router and then to my computer. Pretty standard right? So I figured I'd check first things first, and activated UPnP. Still no good.

Confirmed NAT-error with the build in tool in vuze and proceeded to do this:

1: set static IP
    2: configured port forwarding in both the router and the modem through the range 50-60k
    3: retested with UPnP turned off clientside

Still no luck, and now I'm completely stumped. Anyone got any imput or additional information they would want me to provide?
    Last edited by Darkshine; 2011-02-24 at 03:16 PM.
    "Human knowlege and human power come to the same thing, for where the cause is not known the effect cannot be produced. We can only command nature by obeying her. And thus knowlege [...] is power."
    -Francis Bacon

does the problem happen if there is no router or is it dsl?
    does the router have a dmz?

10+ Year Old Account
    DSL, and I could check by running it through only one of the routers (the modem that is)
    Yes, the wireless router (the one that isn't a modem) does.
    "Human knowlege and human power come to the same thing, for where the cause is not known the effect cannot be produced. We can only command nature by obeying her. And thus knowlege [...] is power."
    -Francis Bacon

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    You have one of those horrible all in one modem/gateway things?

Friend of mine has one of those with BellAliant DSL, and port forwarding usually doesn't work on it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be the case.

The router/modem is a Speedtouch 546t
    The wireless thing is a Jensen Airlink 59300
    -Francis Bacon

Are you by any chance double NATing? Or do you have your modem set to bridge mode with your wireless router doing the NAT?

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a reasonable explanation. And could very very well be the case. How to confirm / adjust the modem?

I have theese absurd spikes in the DL speed. From 3 to 500 in an instant, and it swaps back an forth between those two polar points.

And sometimes the downloads just shut down for no known reason, whist others continue.. I'm really at my wits end here xD
    Last edited by Darkshine; 2011-02-24 at 04:39 PM.
    -Francis Bacon

Are you using one of those ATT 2Wire hunks of garbage?

If so, you need to assign your computer an ip in the router settings before port forwarding will work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I ain't. The router recognizes the units connected to it (amongst them my computer) and uses those when setting up port forwarding.
    -Francis Bacon

What router/modem combo are you using?

Also note that some ISPs do "quality assurance" when using certain protocols and can hit your download speed significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
    Could be the case.

The router/modem is a Speedtouch 546t
    The wireless thing is a Jensen Airlink 59300
    Those are the two.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    What router/modem combo are you using?

Also note that some ISPs do "quality assurance" when using certain protocols and can hit your download speed significantly.
    Yeah, I know. Just want to break down the problem one by one and see if the problems with the ports could be causing the impaired downloads.
    -Francis Bacon

Deleted
    sry, no help from me.. but Origin of Symmetry rocks :P

Edit:
    Do you also have a software firewall running on your local machine (like the windows firewall or something?). Does your router require a restart on configuration changes? ( It shouldn't but I had one that did... o_O)

you could TRY (i wouldn't use this permanently.. just to see if it makes a difference) and use the DMZ function of the box if it has one...
    Last edited by mmocaa32d79adc; 2011-02-25 at 07:49 AM.