Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    i see this all the time but you have to understand 10s are a lot more strict as far as comp goes when certain tasks need to be accomplished.

tell your warlock to go demo
    tell your priest to take the f'in AE talents
    tell your hunter to go MM (unless you need blust or some other super important buff)

tell your balance druid to push solar eclipse and mushroom the crap out of them. this is easily accomplished and will do 13-15k instant dps if you all stack. his dps doesnt matter until the head drops, so saving the solar eclipse for adds is important. also dont waste time with hurricane sunfire/insect swarm multidot ftw. starsurge glyph also helps push down starfall CD... but if hes not already doing that well son youve got problems

duel spec exists for a reason
    Last edited by fews; 2011-02-26 at 02:39 PM.

Deleted
    We also run 2 tanks for our Magmaw kills. I (Protection Warrior) always kite the worms for the entire encounter.

I'm not sure if this makes faster kills compared to bringing one additional damage dealer and killing the parasites, but it works great and makes the encounter a lot more fun to me.

Deleted
    Wait... what? you're running with 2 tanks for magmaw (assuming it's normal)? Why?
    Both in 25 and 10 man, we have a boomkin / survival hunter pretty much soloing the parasites, kiting and just multidotting / aoeing.
    Hunters with their traps, boomkins with their shrooms (with the slowing-area spec), works great really (playing 25 man in mainraids)

On heroic I understand using 2 tanks because of the big adds, but even there we a boomkin kiting the parasites, with a few others helping to aoe them down.
    But you do not need a tank for them, even in our altraids we're running 1 tank only in that fight (10 man in altraids), but the tank numbers are the same for us in both sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    i see this all the time but you have to understand 10s are a lot more strict as far as comp goes when certain tasks need to be accomplished.

tell your warlock to go demo
    tell your hunter to go MMsurvival(unless you need blust or some other super important buff)
    Fixed that for ya, you want the hunter to be survival if your goal is to slaughter the parasites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotech View Post
    Wait... what? you're running with 2 tanks for magmaw (assuming it's normal)? Why?
    Both in 25 and 10 man, we have a boomkin / survival hunter pretty much soloing the parasites, kiting and just multidotting / aoeing.
    Hunters with their traps, boomkins with their shrooms (with the slowing-area spec), works great really (playing 25 man in mainraids)

On heroic I understand using 2 tanks because of the big adds, but even there we a boomkin kiting the parasites, with a few others helping to aoe them down.
    But you do not need a tank for them, even in our altraids we're running 1 tank only in that fight (10 man in altraids), but the tank numbers are the same for us in both sizes.
    Because who would actually bother with bringing a custom setup just for Magmaw? If neither of the tanks have a decent off spec, you might as well utilize them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotech View Post

So, youd rather have 2-3 dps waste their time dropping the adds, instead of pounding the boss. A warrior tank can solo them. why not have 1 short dps > 2-3 that have to constantly switch. It results in a quicker kill due to no target switching.

Quote Originally Posted by fews View Post
    Awesome! I didn't know there were hidden talents with secret codes to unlock them. Can you please tell us what these are so that my shadow priest can have effective AoE?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Because who would actually bother with bringing a custom setup just for Magmaw? If neither of the tanks have a decent off spec, you might as well utilize them both.
    Well of course it'd mean to have a decent offspec for any of the tanks, but how hard is it (really) to get a full 346 set piece for offspec? Not that hard after all. Maybe tanks should just taunt on CD on Valiona and Theralion, just to pass the time (since you only need 1 tank on normal there aswell).

Aous: you only really need 1 dps for normal to handle the adds. And with only 1 tank, you'll have 1 dps handling the adds, which should result in the adds dying faster than if a tank handled it, meaning you have less time spent with people not dpsing the boss. And since (again) offspec gear isn't really that hard to get from 5-man heroics and some epics from factions, you'll have as many dpsers on the boss as you'd normally have, even a bit more dps since the dps handling the adds would be able to finish them off faster than a tank anyways.

It's just really about people being too lazy to get offspec gear it seems and not so much about it being a better option. Just saying.

well i know i sound like a rude elitlist at this very moment but i assure u im not that great but i see most of the ranged in my guild doing 13k-16k in normals our tanks are pulling 12k ...that may be the cuase
    are they fully enchanted and full 346?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Ape View Post
    running 10's with 2 tank, 2 melee, 3 ranged, 3 heals...
    in our ranged dps, there's a shadow priest and he admits, his spec is not ideal for AoE dps on Magmaw's adds...

our raid roster is in rotation basis, hence
    3 tanks rotate for 2 slots,
    3 melee rotate for 2 slots,
    4 ranged rotate for 3 slots,
    4 heals rotate for 3 slots

i'm MT of our group... and it seems that Magmaw is one of bosses that goes down, albeit, not so smoothly...
    the main issue is that they are not dying fast enough... despite our ranged being able to do 10-12k dps
    they are also being scattered all over the place...

here's our rotation combo for ranged...
    B Druid
    S Priest
    A Warlock
    BM Hunter

so we have, in essence, combination of any 3 of above... and seems we're having some issues handling the adds.
    i know that learning to move in unison will help some... but being on a rotation basis makes this process take a bit longer...

what i would appreciate is any tip/advice on how to handle the adds... for each of the 4 classes listed above.

also, our S.Priest mentioned that his spec is not that great on AoE dmg on adds... any tip?

sorry, we do not have any mages, and i am hoping to find a resolution from your experience, with the current class mix in our roster.

thank you in advance for your help.
    Tell your boomkin druid to stop blowing the mobs everywhere, when ever we wipe it's because of typhoon blowing mobs in random directions out of my Frost DK's aoe or my Fire mages frost nova's into the melee group.