Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    at the end of wrath, 2/3 of my guild were JCs. almost all our main raiders including myself were.

fact of the matter is, you're oversaturated. there's so many JCs out there now that you're not gonna make any money cutting gems. cut gems are now so cheap on my server that I swap them around like candy in my gear for different raid encounters or roles. 60 stam gems, 40 mastery gems for 10 gold? np.

I ditched JC/BS at the end of wrath seeing that this would happen and went engi/LW. I made the entire cost of the switch plus ~25K gold back in the first week, being one of only about a half-dozen LWs on the server. when blacksmiths couldn't sell orbs for more than a couple hundred gold, I could still get 1K+ because there was nobody else with my profession.

summary: everyone got greedy in wrath and went JC. Now it's biting you in the ass and you can't make gold. thanks for the cheap gems guys, can hardly wait for epic gems to be under 200G within 3 days of their availability since half the JCs on the server already had the "brilliant" idea of banking 500 stacks of pyrite ore to prospect. wrath epic gems were under 200G within 3 days too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Children are now the majority of the playerbase what do you expect? I see people undercutting glyphs and gems by as much as 100g (yes really), people are idiots but i guess thats kids for you.
    Yeah, the playerbase is a bunch of idiots.
    When the people that claim they are smart are not smart enough to just buy the goods 100g cheaper and make 100g.

Seriusly, almost noone that is hooked on the economy in WOW buy out their compeditors. Seriously, stop looking at gems like a part of a proffesion and start looking at gems like oil. Think if a private company (you) bought all the oil (gems) in the world (of warcraft).

Then the company (you) can sell them at any price you want. And NOONE can do anyting about it.

They undercut you? You BUY their goods and price them for your prices. You simply control the market by always having gems avalible and gold avalible to buy out everyone else.

Seriously, stop blaming retards because you dont do enough effort. You want cash for walking back and forth from the AH, and when one small obstacle comes in your way. You go to the forums and cry because you cant double your cash simply because you have maxed out a proffesion.

So stop the QQ and do some god damn effort.

But since you have not yet tought of the simplicity of controling a market im going to give you the ''controling a market for dummies''.

High demand = high price
    Low demand = low price

So combine any of the above with any of the below.

Low stock = high prices
    High stock = low prices

High + high = high
    High + low = medium
    Low + low = low

These values are relative to another on a percentage basis.

So lets just use red uncut gems as an example.

Every day there are ca 100 red gems on the market at any given time. At the same time, only 10 gems are sold each day. Demand is low and stock is high, wich results in a low price.

But then you come in and buy 100 of the gems and then you repost 20 of them. Not only can you price them any value you can, but since you removed 80 of them from the market. The stock seems low and the demand is now a whooping 50% of the daily sales.

100% of the gems bought from the market is now bought from you. So you just continue to buy out the stocks of any other compeditors and post gems on the AH.

This method requires WORK. You need to LOOK at the market pretty often to make sure that the red gems on the market is 100% yours thus you keep a ''monopol'' on the market. You can simply buy cheap and sell expensive without any limit.

And if someone undercut by 1C you buy it and you increase the prices on the market by 5gold. That way you can sell the goods later for a profit without having to think about taxes that Blizz set on the Auction House sales.

Do all of this and those idiots that undercut by 100gold will be a blessing and NOT something to rage about.

So do some damn effort and stop your QQ.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Yeah, the playerbase is a bunch of idiots.
    When the people that claim they are smart are not smart enough to just buy the goods 100g cheaper and make 100g.

Seriusly, almost noone that is hooked on the economy in WOW buy out their compeditors. Seriously, stop looking at gems like a part of a proffesion and start looking at gems like oil. Think if a private company (you) bought all the oil (gems) in the world (of warcraft).

Then the company (you) can sell them at any price you want. And NOONE can do anyting about it.

They undercut you? You BUY their goods and price them for your prices. You simply control the market by always having gems avalible and gold avalible to buy out everyone else.

Seriously, stop blaming retards because you dont do enough effort. You want cash for walking back and forth from the AH, and when one small obstacle comes in your way. You go to the forums and cry because you cant double your cash simply because you have maxed out a proffesion.

So stop the QQ and do some god damn effort.

But since you have not yet tought of the simplicity of controling a market im going to give you the ''controling a market for dummies''.

High demand = high price
    Low demand = low price

So combine any of the above with any of the below.

Low stock = high prices
    High stock = low prices

High + high = high
    High + low = medium
    Low + low = low

These values are relative to another on a percentage basis.

So lets just use red uncut gems as an example.

Every day there are ca 100 red gems on the market at any given time. At the same time, only 10 gems are sold each day. Demand is low and stock is high, wich results in a low price.

But then you come in and buy 100 of the gems and then you repost 20 of them. Not only can you price them any value you can, but since you removed 80 of them from the market. The stock seems low and the demand is now a whooping 50% of the daily sales.

100% of the gems bought from the market is now bought from you. So you just continue to buy out the stocks of any other compeditors and post gems on the AH.

This method requires WORK. You need to LOOK at the market pretty often to make sure that the red gems on the market is 100% yours thus you keep a ''monopol'' on the market. You can simply buy cheap and sell expensive without any limit.

And if someone undercut by 1C you buy it and you increase the prices on the market by 5gold. That way you can sell the goods later for a profit without having to think about taxes that Blizz set on the Auction House sales.

Do all of this and those idiots that undercut by 100gold will be a blessing and NOT something to rage about.

So do some damn effort and stop your QQ.
    If someone did this on my server, I would just buy ore and prospect and throw it on there since afterall, you are going to buy it and raise the price, thus next time i post it im getting more than before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Attempting to control a market is often the best way to lose your fortune overnight. On any server above Low Population, you have almost no chance of completely controlling any serious market for more than a few hours. There's simply too much stock and too many people reposting for you to handle it all.

Besides, why risk so much when it's SO easy to make steady income with professions? I make 3k per day for basically doing nothing but logging in. It's retard-proof.

Deleted
    *Transmutes red gems and undercuts you* Muhahaha

I would be surprised if this strategy would work. I certainly would never risk it, especially on such a grand scale that you suggest.

It is much harder in WoW to control the market by monopolising supply then in real life, simply because in WoW you can create stuff (mats) out of thin air. You basically transform game time into raw materials. You can never fully control supply, since you have no control over the farming habits of people. The supply of farmable mats is theoretically unlimited.

PS. In your example you don't need only to buy out all the Inferno Rubies, you need also to buy out all the Carnelians, or Alchemists can just produce new Inferno Rubies easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Children are now the majority of the playerbase what do you expect? I see people undercutting glyphs and gems by as much as 100g (yes really), people are idiots but i guess thats kids for you.
    When all else fails, let's resort back to saying "everyone else is a 12 y/o". It must be true though, because people aren't taking this game serious ! ZOMG! There are people out there that don't realize WoW gold is real and needs to be taken seriously !

Hey I just sold something for 100G less than what I could have..I must be 9 years old because I didn't demand absolute top dollar for something ! ! I'm such a horrible person ! I'm not taking this serious enough !

Oh yeah, care to share your "proof" that the majoirty of the playerbase are children ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Well red gems was just an example.

If youre going to control a market you control something that can only be created in 1 way.

And it also would require you to pick a server where the timezone is good enough (so you dont log off 3 hours before the majority of the playerbase). And then you just check in every 30 min or so. The more frequent you check the higher control you keep.

So optimaly you would need 2 accounts. And im thinking ore would be a good item to do this with.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Well red gems was just an example.

If youre going to control a market you control something that can only be created in 1 way.

And it also would require you to pick a server where the timezone is good enough (so you dont log off 3 hours before the majority of the playerbase). And then you just check in every 30 min or so. The more frequent you check the higher control you keep.

So optimaly you would need 2 accounts. And im thinking ore would be a good item to do this with.
    Ore is a horrible item to do this with as it's readily available due to botting, same goes for herbs.

Most of my profit from JC now, is selling the green gems on JC daily
    Ember Topaz are about 19g atm
    fun fun

I still make profit, just sad my profit margin has gone from 100%, to about 20%

Glad this thread is still going on.

On arygos - most gems are now 10g a piece - CUT.

63 Ember, 18 Amber, Ocean 36, Demoseye 70g, Dream 44, Inferno 188G, korgall eu ally.

I would be so rich if I just transferred to OPs server.
    Try:

Rares:
    Red: ~60g
    purple/orange: ~30g
    rest: <10g

Uncommon:
    Reds: ~15g
    Rest: 10g

All metagems: ~100-120g
    Chimera's Eye: 160g

Now that it's all settled, here's how you really make gold with jc:
    1) Buy obsidium/elementium ore
    2) Prospect
    3) Cut into whatever you want
    4) Sell to vendor, yes, we're talking 1000s of each uncommon gem and selling them on the ah is just impossible. (craft carnelian spikes with the carnelians and dissenchant them if you want, sell essence on ah, sometimes a profit)
    5) ????
    6) Enjoy goldcap

Quote Originally Posted by Mystiik View Post
    someone got mad that he was undercut yesterday on the realm Shadowmoon, and set all of his Superior quality gems to 10g buyout. Completely fucked the economy.
    First off, I did not get mad. I just had 400-700 uncut Blue/Green/Yellow gems in my banks that weren't selling fast enough so I was going to simply vendor them. However, instead I decided to test something.

I threw them up at 7g 50s buy out or less for all Blue/Green/Yellow cuts to see if people would actually undercut this ridiculously low price....and they did. I know that I have over a million gold and my costs are pretty low, but I certainly am not making money on that low a price. I have no idea how other people would.

The problem with the gem market is a common misconception people have with how the AH works. I see often the excuse "If I set my price super-low it will sell out faster." This is not true in all cases. In high volume markets such as the Gem market, you will get undercut...regardless of your low price. The way to have yours bought is by being the current cheapest up, and people will pay that price when they search the AH, even if it is just 1c less than others. Undercutting by large amounts actually just creates Price Ceilings, as you can almost 100% count on being undercut if you are posting more than 1-2gems. In this sense it is really a shame gem prices have dropped so low, because this is cata, people have more gold and these gems shouldn't be cheaper than endgame Woltk where demand was low for gems and people had less gold.

People also often say "Well if they are so low just buy them out and resell." I posted 400-700 gems of each color, and I have many more I could have posted. Even though I posted them at 7g if you would have bought those out it would be incredibly difficult to resell them fast enough for any profit to be worth it. This philosophy does not work in high-volume markets as you will be undercut swiftly.
    Last edited by Eddo; 2011-03-11 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddo View Post
    The problem with the gem market is a common misconception people have with how the AH works. I see often the excuse "If I set my price super-low it will sell out faster." This is not true in all cases. In high volume markets such as the Gem market, you will get undercut...regardless of your low price. The way to have yours bought is by being the current cheapest up, and people will pay that price when they search the AH, even if it is just 1c less than others. Undercutting by large amounts actually just creates Price Ceilings, as you can almost 100% count on being undercut if you are posting more than 1-2gems. In this sense it is really a shame gem prices have dropped so low, because this is cata, people have more gold and these gems shouldn't be cheaper than endgame Woltk where demand was low for gems and people had less gold.
    This. A million times this.

I just bought out 68 stacks of Elementium ore at 41g each on average.

PURE MONEY lol.

Worst case, I get all single green prospects, I lose ~250g.
    I'm already broken even from just cutting 2/3rds of my greens and vendoring them.
    I've sold 17 Inferno Ruby's at 50g each(yes our AH sucks) and have another 125 items on the AH.
    If nothing else sells, I vendor the rest of the crap and come out a few thousand ahead.

Deleted
    This morning stacks of Elementium Ore hit 35g on Skullcrusher, so even if I only get 4 green gems per stack from prospecting, i can still vendor them all and make 1g per stack. So basically, worst case scenario for me, I only lose the time it takes to prospect, I'll always at least break even just by vendoring.

Quote Originally Posted by SilchasRuin View Post
    This morning stacks of Elementium Ore hit 35g on Skullcrusher.
    Just shows how servers can vary. On EU-Azuremyst Elementium Ore is 80-90 gold per stack, Obsidium Ore is 70-80 gold. And its been like that for weeks now. (Used to be cheaper.)