Deleted

4.1 interrupt change and melee DPS

I am talking about this change:
    All non-damaging interrupts off the global cooldown will now always hit the target. This includes Pummel, Shield Bash, Kick, Mind Freeze, Rebuke, Skull Bash, Counterspell, Wind Shear, Solar Beam, Silencing Shot, and related player pet abilities.
    I couldn't find any thread on the topic, what confused me as I happen to think this is important. And a step in the absolute wrong direction.

I searched for an explanation on why they want to implement that change, but couldn't find any. So I have to guess:

Some people complained about the strict requirements on interrupting in 10man raids. Could this be a attempt to make this easier?
    I don't know for sure, but I couldn't think of another reason. Maybe you know?

But to come back to what I said earlier: In my opinion this is a step in the the wrong direction as it makes melee DPS even more unnecessary.
    There were a few discussions over the last week about the viability of melee in the current raid tier. And the conclusion of the discussion was mostly: "Current raid bosses favour ranged DPS, it is probably possible build a raid without melee DPS, but not without ranged DPS. One of the very few reasons to bring melee is their ability to interrupt."

So this change might lead to even more less raid spots for melee DPS. Why should a raid leader prefer a rogue over an other hunter/mage/lock when the tanks (and the heal shaman) can interrupt everything?

I think their must have been another way to make interrupting easier (and on a side note: we never had any problems with interrupts up to now) without making melee DPS even more unpopular. Makes me sad (and I don't even play a melee myself)

The best int in the game in my opinion is from shamans. I get it no matter what spec with the same cooldown in my raid. Our Ele takes care of all ints with us backing him up. It saves me 2 points in my tank build for blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    The simple fact is that since 10 mans dont have as many melee dps(or short cd interrupters) to do the int (so tanks need to do them) they impleted this so tanks in 10 mans dont have to gem/reforge hit while 25 man tanks can almost ignore it.

That is probably the reason, and in my opinion it is a great change.

To me it doesn't make that big of a difference. While wind shear is only 5-6 sec cd, counterspell, solar beam, and silencing shot are all at least (edit: )2x the cd of kick/pummel, and other melee interrupts.

That being said I do agree that it is tougher on melee dps than ranged in raids. However I still think it would be just as easy for melee to be on top of interrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    The simple fact is that since 10 mans dont have as many melee dps(or short cd interrupters) to do the int (so tanks need to do them) they impleted this so tanks in 10 mans dont have to gem/reforge hit while 25 man tanks can almost ignore it.

That is probably the reason, and in my opinion it is a great change.
    Not only that but some melee dps largely ignore hit (it is the worst stat for feral dps) so this change allows them to be interrupters without having to a) gimp their dps by hit capping themselves only for interrupts or b) having a second set of gear that is a "hit" set.

10m Nefarian.

Nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does removing the chance for an interrupt to fail have any effect on raid composition at all? It's not like they added new baseline interrupts. (besides Paladin, but that's melee)
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

i think it was done for tank (and maybe kitty druid) interrupts since they generally dont hit cap having to get tanks in groups that lack alot of interupt capable classes to gimp their survivability just because blizz wants fights that need more interrupts is a bad design

its all part of bring the player not the class they dont want groups having to stack dps rogues/dks/warriors/pally/shammys and dropping pretty much every ranged (except ele shammys) just so they have enough interrupts for fights like 10 nef...which b4 prot pallys getting rebuke would have been near impossible for my group

I think Jaitee hit it spot on. This is primarily for tanks, probably because of 10 mans. I mean, they're the only ones that should realistically have a problem with hitting a target currently (since you don't need hit for threat anymore with MD and TOTT) and with no oops-moments occuring where that 1% chance to miss kicks in and wipes the raid.

At least doing this will mean you can stick that rogue or whatever on another target if there's a mechanic that forces a target switch, but you can't let a cast go off no matter what, meaning you'd (currently) put the rogue on the target you need to interrupt.

What I'm curious about though is how long it'll take them to put Shield Bash for protection warriors down to 10 seconds. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    How does removing the chance for an interrupt to fail have any effect on raid composition at all? It's not like they added new baseline interrupts. (besides Paladin, but that's melee)
    Some classes interrupts are technically categorised as spells. Namely DKs and any paladin interrupt bar rebuke i think. Spells can miss or are affected by other such spell immunities. And being that they are spells, whether they hit or not is determined by your hit rating. Which for some classes/specs hitting capping so interrupts never miss would detract from other stats.

For fights that require near constant interrupts, and it is physically impossible for a single person to interrupt every single spell, having your raids interrupts miss is problematic. So they are fixing the problem.

There is no reason an interrupt should ever miss in PVE.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirosaki View Post
    10m Nefarian.

Nuff said.
    ?

The adds are level 85, so you only needed like 5% hit to interrupt them to begin with.

And if you are a healer? I am main spec resto and find when I have to interrupt its much easier as ele, I get way too many wind shear misses as resto to be reliable. This is a huge change for 10 mans as it allows tanks/heals to interrupt

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    ?

The adds are level 85, so you only needed like 5% hit to interrupt them to begin with.
    Not everyone runs in the raid with 5% hit

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Some classes interrupts are technically categorised as spells. Namely DKs and any paladin interrupt bar rebuke i think. Spells can miss or are affected by other such spell immunities. And being that they are spells, whether they hit or not is determined by your hit rating. Which for some classes/specs hitting capping so interrupts never miss would detract from other stats.

For fights that require near constant interrupts, and it is physically impossible for a single person to interrupt every single spell, having your raids interrupts miss is problematic. So they are fixing the problem.

There is no reason an interrupt should ever miss in PVE.
    Except that both dks and paladins get free spellhit which ensures that spellhit it capped if they're at 8% melee hit.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Not everyone raids with 8% melee hit either :P Forcing people to dump their stats into hit, just for interrupts so they don't wipe for hours on ONE boss that needs interrupting, is flawed logic. They're fixing that next patch.

(ONE boss is just a random number, I can think of several more that *have* to be interrupted otherwise you wipe, but meh)

Many tanks run at <1% hit. It is one of the worst stats for them as Taunt has not been able to miss since Cata hit. 10m tanks had to get full hit sets in some groups where they would lose a LOT of defensive stats.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuanrang View Post
    What I'm curious about though is how long it'll take them to put Shield Bash for protection warriors down to 10 seconds. ;/
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...uary-28-Update
    Pummel is now usable in all stances.
    Shield Bash has been removed from the game.

This is a great change, anyway saying otherwise is obviously not a tank in a 10man guild or an interupt for the nef fight where 1 miss = wipe.