Thread: Trying to quit

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Trying to quit

I've been playing wow fr about 5 years since 7th grade and it's been extremely hard considering the effec left on me. All the friends I used to hang out with just stopped talking to me since I ignored them to play wow. Even worst, I have become very unfit and unhealthy. I realize I have a problem but it feels I'm trapped because even if I quit wow, I still have nothing to do or look forward to. It will get even worse for me in the summer because I'm most Lilly gonna be sitting home the entire day doing nothing and even fatter.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by pickles11; 2011-02-26 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    I'm feeling the same as you, i'm gonna really force myself doing stuff. Like, limit my gaming time to a maximum of 2 hours a day and possibly take a break to start with. I'd say if you can, take a break and then decide how you feel, if you're still enjoying the content keep playing, if not you maybe are able to quit.

Needless to say, try doing something else than gaming, preferable something outside.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles11 View Post
    I've been playing wow fr about 5 years since 7th grade and it's been extremely hard considering the effec left on me. All the friends I used to hang out with just stopped talking to me since Unalaska ignored them to play wow. Even worst, I have become very unfit and unhealthy. I realize I have a problem but it feels I'm trapped because even if I quit wow, I still have nothing to do or look forward to. It will get even worse for me in the summer because I'm most Lilly gonna be sitting home the entire day doing nothing and even fatter.

Any thoughts?
    1.call your old friends.If they really care about you they'll understant.Try to strengthen your relationship with them.This should be done ASAP

2.Gaming doesn't make you fat.Hell i've been playing like crazy the past few years and from overweight i got to normal weight without doing any cardio/gym(3 mths a year or smth.)

Eat salads,vegetables,fish,chicken(espec. breast),milk and do some weightlifting/running. That way you will burn the fat but keep most of your muscle mass

3.Quitting...altho' it's not imperative that you quit in order to get your friends and shape back,if you REALLY wanna quit gaming you could try doing smth. else that you find fun:sports for example...

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, I also tried ( & now trying again) to quit but it sux cuz all the people I know for 10 years via Xbox live & now on WoW are still there & im ;o sort of alone not IRL tho xD just ingame, but I bought some games on my xbox so atm I'm still not playing WoW, & basicly also because wow took alot of my schoolwork back but im a worker so now im also on AIon, for fun and not to be forced to come online at 20:00 to raid till 23:00

Ya i don't even enjoy the game too much I just have nothing better to do tbh

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    1.call your old friends.If they really care about you they'll understant.Try to strengthen your relationship with them.This should be done ASAP

2.Gaming doesn't make you fat.Hell i've been playing like crazy the past few years and from overweight i got to normal weight without doing any cardio/gym(3 mths a year or smth.)

Eat salads,vegetables,fish,chicken(espec. breast),milk and do some weightlifting/running. That way you will burn the fat but keep most of your muscle mass

3.Quitting...altho' it's not imperative that you quit in order to get your friends and shape back,if you REALLY wanna quit gaming you could try doing smth. else that you find fun:sports for example...
    It's really gonna be all of this, And its going to be a very hard thing quitting for some people at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faken View Post
    I sometimes worry about the kinds of people who frequent use gaming forums....they always of the uh...err...stranger variety

gym gym gym
    When We Ride Our Enemies..

Deleted
    Same like u playing 5/6 years with some small breaks here and there.
    I started playing less at the end of TBC, in WOTLK i played only 6/7 months or so and Cata just 1 month.
    Quitted a month ago, couple days ago uninstalled wow.

I go 4/5 times a week to the gym. Like one poster said i eat healthy food and i drink only water, tea and some milk.
    Evenings i usually watch a movie, or just checking some stuff like forums, news and so.
    I am planning to buy a Playstation 3 soon, but only for Gran Turismo 5, playing couple hours a day i think.
    I will try to quit wow for good and i will never play any mmo again.

Have a strong mind, have faith in urself, u can overcome any addiction.

I've found that deleting your characters doesnt work because you can always have them reinstated.. SELL your account.. thats my advise for your first step.. even if its for like 25 bucks.. it doesnt matter how much u get for it... just matters that some1 else has controll of it and you wont be able to get it back

10+ Year Old Account
    I quit four days before Cataclysm (one can't miss what he hasn't experienced, right?) and after almost three months, I hands down agree that the hardest part about quitting (and the, in my case, strongest argument to pick the game back up), is the huge amount of spare time that you suddenly have. Or rather, the huge amount of spare time to use for something else. So that's my best advice: Get yourself another hobby (just make sure it's not another game, that wouldn't really help your social life get back on track) and call your friends.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Step 1: Get up from the computer
    Step 2: Delete WoW and cancel Sub
    Step 3: Go to the gym / hang out with friends and live life w/o wow
    Step 4: repeat step 3

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I hate sob stories...
    Get your account perma banned by any means necessary. Hacking, bitching out a GM, yelling racial slurs in trade etc etc etc. That way, if you do want to come back to your old account and play again... OOPS! It's gone. That will be enough of a push to quit.

Or you can do what most of us do: learn to manage your time, realise that pixels are not as important as real life, and that WoW experiences really have no impact on your future.

Deleted
    I really do sigh at mankind these days...IT'S A GAME FFS!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Eat salads,vegetables,fish,chicken(espec. breast),milk
    I read this as "especially breast milk" lol!

ive been in the situation many times before as well...i havent played for over a year (longest break from wow ive ever had) and am getting back into the phase where i really wanna come back. in my experience, i honestly believe forcing yourself to quit doesnt really work, because eventually youll want to come back. the easiest way ive been able to stop...is when i simply got bored of the game. in my opinion, dont just delete/sell everything. keep your account running, and slowly work out of it until you get into one of those "wow this is boring, i hate sitting in org for 3 hours a day" phases.
    however, you should also start slowly getting back with friends irl as you slowly work out of wow. start by just texting, facebook mesaging, emailing, whatever. eventually, im sure theyll be willing to start hanging out and you can start doing some more irl stuff. as this continues, youll prob begin to see that you dont need wow as much and slowly get tired of playing/afking. this is when i would stop the subcribtion.
    ive found in my experience that forcing a break only makes me want to come back more...if you naturally move away from it, it works much better

Deleted
    I'm in a similar position to the OP, but with one fundamental difference.

I'm trying NOT to quit. >.<

If you've been playing for 5 years since 7th grade, you're pretty close to taking off for college, probably in the fall, unless wow has been affecting your grades, too. That's a time when you're likely to make a new set of friends anyway, and you have an opportunity to make a fresh start with people who don't know that you were a wow addict for five years.

Just make sure that you don't fall in with the wow crowd at college: a lot of college students go wild with videogames and end up going home after a semester or a year because they can't keep their grades high enough when they're playing all night every night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    There actually is such a thing as addiction. It's very easy for someone who isn't addicted to anything to say "You just have to stop!", but it's never that simple.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Your soo cool bro.. i'm sure ur perfect! Just saying dont judge if you cant relate.. be constructive or gtfo

I seriously can't imagine what kind of screwed up things it does to a person to be immersed in what the MMO (and internet in general) community has become recently (read: last 10 years) during the years of their life in which they would normally be developing social skills.