Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which professions to have multiple of?

So this is probably a derpy question, but anyway.

I have at least one of every profession at, at least, level 430 (except engineering, but we're working on it). Most have a gathering profession as their second, but I intend to leave my DK as my farming toon with skinning/mining, and herbalism on my feral druid, so I can replace others with crafting profs.

I have two maxed Alchemists for the daily transmutes and eventual epic gems. My question is, are there any other professions that are worth having more than one of like this? From a profit standpoint, anyway. I just don't know enough about what each offers at max.

Would more than one tailor be useful for the special cloths every day? What about jewelcrafting, so you can do dailies on one or more characters, and split the recipes between them? Enchanting recipes are bought with crystals, so there's not much of a point in having more than one, I think. Sound right?

Do leatherworking, blacksmithing, and engineering even HAVE anything that would make you want more than one?

Or should I just make all of them have Alch as their second profession? lol It sounds like a safe option.

ETA: I'm not necessarily asking 'lol gais what do i does', I just don't know what the benefits of professions would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another Alch couldn't hurt. Tailoring probably not since Dreamcloth is Soul bound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sapphirea, I adore your picture of Mew. =]

On topic though. The only thing I can think of is Alch. 3 different masterys for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Several with alchemy is great.

Jewelcrafting perhaps for the fire prism, tho that is very random and I dont think it's worth skilling up another JC just for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Several with alchemy is great.

Jewelcrafting perhaps for the fire prism, tho that is very random and I dont think it's worth skilling up another JC just for that.
    Nah unless gems are super high on your server, you would always be better served using the same mats to make 2+ diamonds on your transmutation specc'd alchemist :P.

Transmutation Specc'd Alchemy. Elixir may be worth it if you are an active farmer and flasks sell for a good price (higher than herb cost*.80). Don't bother with potion spec. It is beyond pointless no that you can only use 1 per combat.

Jewelcrafting for acquiring designs faster/selling chimera eyes. Tailoring for more dreamcloth / week.

Deleted
    I believe in the long run, gathering professions are the big winners. Crafting profs only have a big profit in the begining of a patch, when most people are improving their gear. Herbalists are gold those days

Quote Originally Posted by kalamitis View Post
    I believe in the long run, gathering professions are the big winners. Crafting profs only have a big profit in the begining of a patch, when most people are improving their gear. Herbalists are gold those days
    Gathering is very time consuming. With jc/inscription your can make much more gold / time invested than gathering. Plus, gathering's not very efficient outside of when most of the server's asleep.

As others have said, alch...many many uses.

Other than that po..ssib..le jewelcrafting. If you do the daily on both toons you get cuts twice as fast or you can AH the chimera eye. As well as save the token, for when/if blizz has the epic gem patterns off the vendor like in wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alch does seem to be the best profession to have multiples of. However, on my server, Transmutation doesn't seem to be as big of a money maker as Potion spec is. The Agility, Strength and Spellpower potions are all worth a lot on my server, as well as Mana and Health Potions (a lot of people double pot). It's also nice to have a toon that's a farmer (druid is ridiculously OP for herbing). Also, due to the leg armor and LW crafting (and the very low drop rate of Pristine Hides), Skinning seems to have made a bit of a comeback this expac. Often times you can just farm a popular quest area (respawn rates in TB anyone) and get a ton of skins in a very short time. Compared to the fights or time it takes to farm nodes, it seems very worthwhile to me. However, I would say there is no need to have two Leatherworkers. Alch and Tailoring are the only professions I can see having multiples of at this time (even though the Dreamcloth is soulbound, spellthread and the crafted epics are not), besides gathering professions.
    Last edited by Faytlynn; 2011-02-28 at 02:18 AM. Reason: typo

A guildy of mine have 7 85s now and on 6 of those 7 he have gathering+engineering since the extra drops is aweomse for making money

"Remember there is always something cleaverer than yourself"

i have 5 with Engineering, 3 with mining, and 2 with Herb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigroll View Post
    A guildy of mine have 7 85s now and on 6 of those 7 he have gathering+engineering since the extra drops is aweomse for making money
    The extra drops are really awesome!
    I usually mine for about an hour, sell all the Volatiles (Lots of Air, also some earth/fire/water) and send all ores to my Jewelcrafter for prospecting. Cut all rare gems for the highest profitable gem, send all uncommon gems to my alchemist (transmute master) to transmute them to rare gems (gives more profit then transmuting Shadowspirit Diamonds on my server).

Only reasons i can think of to have multiple alchemists is either having multiple masteries, or having multiple transmute masters for the Truegold/Volatile Transmute...

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is my setup: I have 3 alchs (2 xmute 1 flask) 2 jc's to get gem cuts faster, 2 enchanters to just slightly increase my chances of having an enchanter around lol.. 2 tailors because of getting dreamcloth faster, 1 blacksmith, 2 engi (one of each just bc I like the tinkers), 1 scribe. Gonna do skin/Lw on my future rogue. So yea.. I have a few duplicates but alchemy is the best and IMO easiest to stack. I can spit out truegolds left and right. Getting my sandstone was cake. Mmm nomnom cake...
    I am a filthy casual!

Deleted
    agree with farming + engineering, then alchemy

One of my mates has enchanting on every single one of his characters, except for his farmer (mining/herbs there). Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me if you actually play the char and do quests/instances/raids. Engineering/Enchanting appearantly works as well, since (on our server at least) the mats for the epic helmet are a lot cheaper than epic shards.

In short, enchanting mats prices never seen to decay, so being able to DE bops is always an advantage, provided you actually play the character.

Alchemy for gold and engineering because engineering just rocks.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    Gathering professions. Easy xp when leveling is the main reason.

Roughly the only prof worth having multiples off are Alchemy (specially Transmute Masters, An Elixir Master is enough), due to the transmutes pretty much always being worht it in one way or another (at least of the cds bring ups nice money at any given time, even if it needs a sideprof for that, but since you have them all it's not a problem for you ).

The other is JC, due to the ability to run multiple dailies a day and rack up recipes faster than others, allowing you to have all the recipes faster and hence always be able to cut maximum profit gems at any given time, plus the ability to use multiple Fire prism a day, but it's far less interesting i would say).

Tailors isn't really that useful to have multiples off, since the margin on dreamcloth based products isn't that high, and it'll dwindle with time, with more and more people having maxed out tailors, less and less people needing the products from dreamcloth (since soon the Epic crafted won't be as interesting as they are now, and anyway those ones requires you to run hc to get the orbs anyway.... and on multiple chars it's a pain and not worth the time investment).

It would be different if dreamcloth weren't soulbound, allowing you to make those in higher quantities and sell them, but since it's not it's not useful.

I really don't see any other prof that is worth running in numbers for money, since there is no advantage at having multiple BS (only the cost to level them that is quite high), once you get to the point where you have all the glyphs from researches there is no advantage either for Inscription. LW is the same as BS, Engineer idem except coupling with a gathering prof, since it allows you to get more Volatile Air that sells well from memory, Enchanting is weak too as multiple, so it really boils down to Alchemist and Jewelcratfers, with a preference for the previous one (easier and cheaper to level, easier to make money out and the market for them is usually less saturated than the JC's one since pretty much every raider is a JC as one of his profs... ).

Edit : Enchanting is a false good idea, specially once you already have one. With the LFD, you'll get roughly half your groups with an enchanter allowing to de, and once you got one, the BoE you de'em yourself, reducing the value of another enchanter.
    Add to that that pretty fast the money gain (once you win the roll) of getting a shard instead of selling the item will fall and become pretty inexistant (or a negative as in the end of Wrath) and you DON'T want to pour out the kind of money needed for enchanting, specially not on a char you only really use for profs (and yes, enchanting cost a SHITLOAD of money when you take into account the money you could have done selling items you de'ed and used to lvl).
    Last edited by Ashareth; 2011-02-28 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted
    If you have a herb and 310 flying (or even better, a tauren druid with 310 flying and mount speed guild perk), then unless you don't have the profession slots free on your alts, there is no reason why you shouldn't farm the mats for 3 alchs at a time.

I did this recently for 2 alchs (I already had a transmute alch) and it really didn't take that much time at all.