Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Yet another PWS: idea...

IMHO the problem of PW:S is its lack of CD. Yeah... I know YOU don't like what I'm saying. But this is how I see it:

If PW:S is an expensive spell you aren't gonna use it because it's better to cast other spells, except to proc Rapture... and if you need to spam it at a certain moment you get OOM.

If PW:S is a cheap spell you are going to spam it and forget the other 12 spells you got.

I think PW:S should be a cheap spell but with a 5 secs CD by default, lowered to 3 secs CD by a discipline talent which would also give you the ability to use a spell that would allow you to cast without any mana reduction as many PW:Ss as you want for X seconds, for instance 10. This would help you a lot to prevent damage in certain situations but wouldn't allow the healer to just spam shields during the whole encounter. This ability should have a 2-3 min CD so you could use it 2-3 times/boss.

What do you think? Mb Blizzard don't want to give us another CD, but I really think this would be the best they could do to solve the PW:S problem. Had anyone already purposed it??

Excuse my poor english.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't PW:S put a debuff on the target that prevents putting another shield on that target for a certain amount of time?

Deleted
    Yes, but you can cast PW:S on another target immediately

not if you're not specced it, it has a 4 second CD baseline, and specced it still ha sa 1 second CD (which ofc doesn't matter due to gcd)

Deleted
    You're mixing 2 different things.

One thing is Weakened Soul. A debuff that receives the HEALED after getting a Shield. It lasts for 15 seconds. He can't get another PW:S for these 15 secs, but the Priest who casted it, if he's got the talents, he can cast PW:S on another target immediately.

I mean the PW:S CD. If the priest doesn't have the talents, the PW:S CD lasts for 5 secs. If you got them it has a 1 sec CD. I'm saying it should have 3 secs CD with the talents, besides the other changes I say.
    Last edited by mmocc46c8e1895; 2011-02-27 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think PW:S is awesome how it is, seeing as you can only ever applying every 15 seconds, and the entire discipline tree is based off of using it regularly as a chain into other spells. because of haste buffs etc.
    I am a warrior, and i like to play similar to a drunken berserker.

Deleted
    I wonder if any priest is gonna read it someday... ^^

Maybe PW:S could be like Arcane Blast: "Every time you use PW:S the spell cost increases an x% of mana, this effect is consumed by casting a healing spell" that would prevent PW:S spamming.
    Last edited by Dami; 2011-02-27 at 03:53 AM.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    How about:

Each additional Power Word: Shield cast on other friendly targets reduces it's effectiveness by 10%, down to a minimum of 30%. In addition, your Power Word: Shield's effectiveness is increased by 25% if there is only one active.

Basically, the more shields you cast, the weaker they get.

This prevents Disc Priests from shielding the entire raid, rather then shielding a few more important characters (Tank/Off-tank/Someone near death etc) and would in turn make shielding a more active decision.

OR!

It could be based on the duration of the debuff Weakened Soul.

The more shields you throw on, the longer the debuff stays on for each target.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Deleted
    Dami: It sounds good too. And it would be easier. But what if the caster needs/wants to cast 6-10 shields at a certain point of the encounter? Go OOM?

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    Dami: It sounds good too. And it would be easier. But what if the caster needs/wants to cast 6-10 shields at a certain point of the encounter? Go OOM?
    Yeah, but the point of the matter is.

They want you NOT to spam the spell. So basically, only use PW:S when it's cost effective! Because what would happen with this change?

People would start stacking massive amounts of Intellect in order to achieve a ~slightly-hindered-version~ of PW:S Spam.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I thougt Prayer of healing and the Barrier were made for avoiding those spamming situations and Power infusion/Inner focus + Prayer of healing for unavoidable situations, and there is the intellect/haste thing too (that the current nerf its promoting too). The Baabinator idea its great, maybe changing some how our mastery...

How about they make Divine Aegis proc off of every heal you do no matter what (like what they did to PoH). Then they can mess with PW:S as much as they want. This way disc's mastery still feels useful, and people will use their normal heals more. Think of DA as Heal and PW:S as flash heal. Makes sense to me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dami View Post
    Maybe PW:S could be like Arcane Blast: "Every time you use PW:S the spell cost increases an x% of mana, this effect is consumed by casting a healing spell" that would prevent PW:S spamming.
    My friend mentioned this idea to me. I haven't thought it over a whole lot, but it sounds like it would have potential. Spamming PW:S constantly would lead to going OOM quickly, but in an emergency a few shields can be thrown out back to back without being restricted by a cooldown.

I think that Blizzard should stop trying to punish healers for using PW:S and instead they should fix the real issue they're having with the spell: They aoe power it packs at low mana costs.

It's simple, really. If they want to restrict shield spam, and stop people from abusing this "obsolete" method of healing, then instead of making it less effective, make it impossible.

All they would need to do, is restrict the amount of targets PW:S can be on at any given time to say 3 targets, and viola! They can revert the mana cost hotfix nerf, and possibly buff prayer of healing for disc to "compensate" for their lack of aoe healing power.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflictid View Post
    How about they make Divine Aegis proc off of every heal you do no matter what (like what they did to PoH).
    Isn't this called being a holy paladin?

All they would need to do, is restrict the amount of targets PW:S can be on at any given time to say 3 targets, and viola! They can revert the mana cost hotfix nerf, and possibly buff prayer of healing for disc to "compensate" for their lack of aoe healing power.
    This seems a little OP to me, especially for 5 mans or if there's group assignments for healing. Keep three bubbles up and only have two targets to heal? No other class has that. Nice idea though. Maybe one target like Lifebloom is, or two.

This would end up similar to the three-target-restriction. As long as you cast a heal in between each shield thats still three targets with shields up assuming no haste with no real implications to mana. With haste and casting spells aside from heal this would be even more. Also a nice idea though.

It sucks having an entire tree and mastery dedicated to shields when the two spells that use them are largely of little use.

Quote Originally Posted by xMuse View Post
    Isn't this called being a holy paladin?
    Yes, however resto shammies and resto druids mastery used to be the same in its inception. They should of made paladins mastery be for disc in the first place as it would suit the spec so well.

"Your direct healing spells also place an absorb shield on your target for 10% of the amount healed lasting 8 sec. Each point of Mastery increases the absorb amount by an additional 1.25%"

Holy's heals create a HoT on the target healing for x% amount over 6 seconds. They should make Disc's mastery the same as a Holy Paladins i.e. Disc heals create a shield on the target for x% of the amount healed and replace Holy Paladins mastery with the old splash mechanic or Glyph of Holy Light. This change to Disc would make it much easier for blizzard to scale disc's healing to bring it in line with other healing specs/classes. PW:S is still badly implemented as it is very OP in it's current state. An instant cast heal which is vastly more efficient than our supposed go to spell "heal" and has tremendous throughput - 25K instant, no over heal (ideally) - arguing it's not OP is either naive or ignorant (whichever is your demeanor). Keep the current mana cost because increasing it again and again is just futile especially with increasing gear level making it neccesary for more and more changes but instead nerf it down to around in-line with flash heals amount.

When I saw for the first time the holy paladin mastery I tought shit! and I'm still hating it.

Disc MST is just what it needs to be, except the spec needs a low HPS, high HPM shields as suggested by the developers pre-cata alpha, DA should be applied as a baseline to all spells [at a significant reduction for non-crit, non-aoe spells], and "new shield," PW:S, & DA should all have the same scaling w/ MST.

Then they can go revisit Paladin MST. Personally, I think it should somehow interact w/ holy power, but that is just a broad conceptual idea as I really don't have a lot of hands on experience behind a holy paladin. I'll ask my guilds' holy paladins tonight what they would like to see.

Deleted
    About the Arcane-ish shield thing.. It would kinda ruin the idea of using shield for movementspeed on bosses like Omnitron defense system, Council, I think you get the idea.. Then that would burn you mana like crazy... IMO the thing baabinator said sounds a lot more reasonable.