Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    I have family that are Amish. I have to say that is the Amish population grew at double that rate it would be a positive thing for the US. Amish communities are some of the most welcoming environments you could ever walk in to, I speak from experience. They treat you like you are part of the family before they even know that you actually are a part of the family.
    Uh-nuh. Any society that gimmickly treads and lives in the "glorius times of the past" is bound to be crushed under the wheels of advancement. True story.

Wonder why people want to fake their lives like that. I cannot remember how seperated they count themselves to be from the rest of USA, but if it is anything as bad as our own Pentti Linkola's anarchy ideals then I'm ready to mark this one with a big fat FAIL stamp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizards Hat View Post
    IKEA watch out!

And no, if you think the backwards, technologicly impaired Amish are ever gonna influence the rest of America; No. Just no.
    Ummm but by international standards isn't america ALREADY backwards both technologically and socially?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    /Facepalm

There's a problem with extrapolated data.

Look at this, as an example:

Time Athlete Nationality Date Venue
    4:14.4 John Paul Jones United States 31 May 1913[4] Allston, Mass.
    4:12.6 Norman Taber United States 16 July 1915[4] Allston, Mass.
    4:10.4 Paavo Nurmi Finland 23 August 1923[4] Stockholm
    4:09.2 Jules Ladoumègue France 4 October 1931[4] Paris
    4:07.6 Jack Lovelock New Zealand 15 July 1933[4] Princeton, N.J.
    4:06.7* Glenn Cunningham United States 16 June 1934[4] Princeton, N.J.
    4:06.4 Sydney Wooderson United Kingdom 28 August 1937[4] Motspur Park
    4:06.1* Gunder Hägg Sweden 1 July 1942[4] Göteborg
    4:06.2 Arne Andersson Sweden 10 July 1942[4] Stockholm
    4:04.6 Gunder Hägg Sweden 4 September 1942[4] Stockholm
    4:02.6 Arne Andersson Sweden 1 July 1943[4] Göteborg
    4:01.6 Arne Andersson Sweden 18 July 1944[4] Malmö
    4:01.3* Gunder Hägg Sweden 17 July 1945[4] Malmö
    3:59.4 Roger Bannister United Kingdom 6 May 1954[4] Oxford
    3:57.9* John Landy Australia 21 June 1954[4] Turku
    3:57.2 Derek Ibbotson United Kingdom 19 July 1957[4] London
    3:54.5 Herb Elliott Australia 6 August 1958[4] Santry, Dublin
    3:54.4 Peter Snell New Zealand 27 January 1962[4] Wanganui
    3:54.04* Peter Snell New Zealand 17 November 1964[4] Auckland
    3:53.6 Michel Jazy France 9 June 1965[4] Rennes
    3:51.3 Jim Ryun United States 17 July 1966[4] Berkeley, Cal.
    3:51.1 Jim Ryun United States 23 June 1967[4] Bakersfield, Cal.
    3:51.0 Filbert Bayi Tanzania 17 May 1975[4] Kingston
    3:49.4 John Walker New Zealand 12 August 1975[4] Göteborg
    3:48.95* Sebastian Coe United Kingdom 17 July 1979[4] Oslo
    3:48.8 Steve Ovett United Kingdom 1 July 1980[4] Oslo
    3:48.53 Sebastian Coe United Kingdom 19 August 1981[4] Zürich
    3:48.40 Steve Ovett United Kingdom 26 August 1981[4] Koblenz
    3:47.33 Sebastian Coe United Kingdom 28 August 1981[4] Bruxelles
    3:46.32 Steve Cram United Kingdom 27 July 1985[4] Oslo
    3:44.39 Noureddine Morceli Algeria 5 September 1993[4] Rieti
    3:43.13 Hicham El Guerrouj Morocco 7 July 1999[4] Rome

By May 15, 2721, humans will be able to run a mile so fast, they'll cross the finish line in the same instant that the timer starts. On foot. That's really fast, huh?

Moral of the story: Trend lines are only valid within a data set, and are only of limited value outside it.
    Indeed, as I said. Exponential growth calculations are void if they ignore outside factors, such as in this case disease, social standing, politics etc.

There is no way to predict for sure how the population of a religious minority would ever fare over the a hundred years by just working growth numbers. No way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    Actually....no, he doesn't sound ignorant at all. Not politically correct or multi-culturally friendly, but 100% accurate. Don't get me wrong, I have Islamic friends, and they weren't rioting or sending letter bombs, but they did take it personally. As far as I know, the Islamic community is the only community in the world that DOES react literally violently something outside their sphere of influence. I mean, you don't see Catholics sending tanks in about Jesus jokes, or Buddhists burning down the Buddha doll factories. I mean, really. Yes, they consider it a personal affront, I get that. It's their religion. However, by that same token, if you spit in my face, does that give me the right to take out a gun and shoot you? Again, I realize this isn't the entire culture, but it's enough that it makes the culture look bad.
    Maybe not these days(and even then this depends on branch) but in the past christians did this kinda thing and worse on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beress View Post
    Is this people who are being BORN Amish, or does it include people who convert as well (if such a thing is permissible).

People make fun of their low tech ways now, but once everything has collapsed and technology fails us, these guys will have a real leg up!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6723886.shtml

The remarkable growth is almost entirely due to the Amish birth rate - many Amish families have five or more children. Kraybill said the Amish retain about 85 percent of the young adults who have to decide whether to remain in the church. The Amish marry within the community, and the total number of converts nationwide is believed to be less than 100, he said.
    Ahh... good 'ole RTFA, sorry
    Last edited by Beress; 2011-02-27 at 07:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ummm but by international standards isn't america ALREADY backwards both technologically and socially?
    You've got a point there... Atleast socialy. The only country in the west still with death penalties and not having universal healthcare. I don't know what their new health bill thing did... I don't follow their problems that well, I just know that the US is a violent place, especially when it comes to politics.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 08:16 AM ----------

Maybe not these days(and even then this depends on branch) but in the past christians did this kinda thing and worse on occasion.
    But they have been tamed, domesticated and stripped of their power. Mostly. If you ignore the pope.

They know they can't get away with open violence nowadays. Islam doesn't, and watch where it takes it.

It's just so funny how serious people approach to very flawed and badly calculated statistical assumptions. A person who bases such ideas on those is no better than a man who sees a TV set and is now afraid of a robotic rebellion next year.

Deleted
    Gotta remember that the most Catholic countries are rather well-living and atleast 90% if not more of the population can read. Same doesn't apply to middle-eastern countries, where most of the people are poor and can't read. Those are easy to fool into violence or aggressive reactions.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You really need to l2 population:

Deleted
    You've got a point there... Atleast socialy. The only country in the west still with death penalties and not having universal healthcare. I don't know what their new health bill thing did... I don't follow their problems that well, I just know that the US is a violent place, especially when it comes to politics.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 08:16 AM ----------

But they have been tamed, domesticated and stripped of their power. Mostly. If you ignore the pope.

They know they can't get away with open violence nowadays. Islam doesn't, and watch where it takes it.
    If I recall it right the new health bill forced people to take health assurance, so some progress in that slot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    I have family that are Amish. I have to say that is the Amish population grew at double that rate it would be a positive thing for the US. Amish communities are some of the most welcoming environments you could ever walk in to, I speak from experience. They treat you like you are part of the family before they even know that you actually are a part of the family.
    They are backwards and religiously brainwashed, they don't treat you well out of respect or understanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    [/COLOR]

Yeah but as i look at it the islamic faith seems to be where christianity was even as little as 3-5 hundred years ago. I think they will grow out of it soon. Besides the violent traits were added in response to the crusades and thus we bear the sins of our ancestors in the modern era. Well more like aftereffects but the poet in me had me phrase it the other way first.

Oh also our prisons are also down right third world and our legal system just encourages repeat offenders and problems.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Origano View Post
    Gotta remember that the most Catholic countries are rather well-living and atleast 90% if not more of the population can read. Same doesn't apply to middle-eastern countries, where most of the people are poor and can't read. Those are easy to fool into violence or aggressive reactions.
    Agreed and if you'll see the above if linked if not my last post you'll see i think it will change over time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Origano View Post
    If I recall it right the new health bill forced people to take health assurance, so some progress in that slot.
    Well now I can understand why people were angry about it.

I love my universal healthcare, costing me nothing more then taxes and low bills for doctor visits or hospital stays. I was in hospital for about 1½ after my appendix surgery wound got infected, only cost me 600ish SEK. And I think it was a small sum for the ambulance, negligable. Everything else was "free" (aka tax payed).

Ofcourse all forms of healthcare has problems, but I prefer being treated to dying on the street for not having enough money or being denied vital treatment because I'm too expensive for the insurance company.

But that's another discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    apparently I don't.. you'll have to explain this one to me.. I'm curious as to how I chose the incorrect mindset..
    assuming an entire group of people rise up and destroy an entire country over a cartoon? really? you just assume all muslims act like that? one, that didnt happen there were death threats protests stuff like that they didnt wreck an entire nation over a god damn cartoon. and second, i love how you assume muslims are just this group of barbaric ass backward fuck holes when i can say the same for any stupid fundamental Christian. but i don't. UNLIKE YOU
    Last edited by psdew1813; 2011-02-27 at 07:34 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah but as i look at it the islamic faith seems to be where christianity was even as little as 3-5 hundred years ago. I think they will grow out of it soon. Besides the violent traits were added in response to the crusades and thus we bear the sins of our ancestors in the modern era. Well more like aftereffects but the poet in me had me phrase it the other way first.

Oh also our prisons are also down right third world and our legal system just encourages repeat offenders and problems.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 07:25 AM ----------

Agreed and if you'll see the above if linked if not my last post you'll see i think it will change over time.
    Truth is, islam is very over-represented by the Middle-East. It's in Asia where you find the majority of the worlds muslims, and they don't seem to care at all.

I'd say it's the Middle-eastern countries that suffer from being uneducated and poor (with a super rich minority). With a history of being colonies, a sin much more resent then the crusades, and an unforgiving culture.

Yes, and in Sweden we think our prisons are too nice. But compared to the US, being imprisoned here is like living in a hotel with tough roommates that might shake you up.
    Our own penal system lacks proper, tougher sentances for things like rape and child abuse, something we've had a lot of controversy about what with pedophiles and such not getting proper treatment or punishment etc.
    And let's not get started on our terrible psychological rehabilitation.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    assuming an entire group of people rise up and destroy an entire country over are cartoon? really? you just assume all muslims act like that? one, that didnt happen there were death threats protests stuff like that they didnt wreck an entire nation over a god damn cartoon. and second, i love how you assume muslims are just this group of barbaric ass backward fuck holes when i can say the same for any stupid fundamental Christian. but i don't. UNLIKE YOU
    That's what I say about everyone, and a more. Also including non-religious people.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    assuming an entire group of people rise up and destroy an entire country over a cartoon? really? you just assume all muslims act like that? one, that didnt happen there were death threats protests stuff like that they didnt wreck an entire nation over a god damn cartoon. and second, i love how you assume muslims are just this group of barbaric ass backward fuck holes when i can say the same for any stupid fundamental Christian. but i don't. UNLIKE YOU
    u mad bro?

10+ Year Old Account
    u mad bro?
    lolololololololol no. just glad that i shoved all your dumb ass beliefs in your face and all you have to say to that is: u mad?

Deleted
    u mad bro?
    Posting meme's gets you banned, friend. Best hope he doesn't report you.

---------- Post added 2011-02-27 at 08:43 AM ----------

lolololololololol no. just glad that i shoved all your dumb ass beliefs in your face and all you have to say to that is: u mad?
    Keep it civil. Just ignore his attempts at baiting you and report him.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    sadly the last several posts we've made were all unconstructive bannable offenses.. rodent child that I quoted cussing me out in a flame post simply because he didn't like what I had to say.. and to an extent your post telling me I'm doing it wrong isn't exactly on topic either..

but it is a great example of why the behavior of said religious group gets tolerated... reasonable people are not only intimidated by the offenders.. but the ignorant people who will side with them on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and since my point of view is more vile than people who overreact to the most extreme limits... well.. i think we can understand why I said what I said

You left out that fact that at some point the Amish population would stop increasing that quickly and level off at some point. Sounds like a differential equation to me!