Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    With your setup you should really take 2 crackles in p2 since you have 2 protadins. A third crackle in p1, even if coordinated well, is very hectic and far worse than taking 2 crackles in p2 especially with your setup.

We run with only 1 protadin and still take 2 cracks in p2.

There is no reason to take 2 crackles in p2, or 3 in p1, we 4 DPS and 1 bear specced druid in dps gear (he tanks onyxia first) and we do it from 72-0% in p3 with no problem, just have the kiting go properly in p3 and it will be fine. You can take a crackle or two in p2, but its really not worth it since it can rape your healers mana, even if p3 is easy to heal, you want healers to have some mana, and forcing all those unneeded crackles is not worth it unless your kiter or DPS is very low.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    There is no reason to take 2 crackles in p2, or 3 in p1, we 4 DPS and 1 bear specced druid in dps gear (he tanks onyxia first) and we do it from 72-0% in p3 with no problem, just have the kiting go properly in p3 and it will be fine. You can take a crackle or two in p2, but its really not worth it since it can rape your healers mana, even if p3 is easy to heal, you want healers to have some mana, and forcing all those unneeded crackles is not worth it unless your kiter or DPS is very low.
    I agree. Unless you want a challenge, the risk is not really worth the 'reward' so to say.

We spend a portion of P1 trying to CC the adds properly and minimizing mana usage, but usually get Nef down to about 72-74% before we run to our respective pillars and start bandaging up. The downside here is that we can't do much damage during P2, mainly because of lack of cooldowns, and we cannot start DPSing in P3 until everyone is topped. With our way of add kiting (paladin healer healing with RF, taunting adds to the kiter) it's usually no problem to keep things going for the few seconds longer our fight would last without pushing any 3rd electrocute/crackle.

I'm not saying it's *useless* to maximize DPS and challenge your healers, but any new guilds progressing through BWD should not feel like they MUST push this 3rd electrocute to be able to beat the encounter, and that it will make P3 a breeze. Having killed Nef many times on 10man, I still prefer it with 2.
    Last edited by Unbelievr; 2011-02-28 at 12:36 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEXZLgUl4WM

Vid of how my guild pushes 3 crackles in P1. As soon as we see he is about to crackle we kill Onyxia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346 View Post
    idk how ppl can do a crackle in p2. with those barrages hitting for 30-45k on random ppl and a crackle. ppl are surely gonna die even with people using CD's
    It depends on, as always with 10-man, your composition. It also depends on how good your healers are at cooldown rotation in phase 1.

Our most recent wave of attempts on 10-man (we generally raid 25-man, but were shy a few healers on our last raid evening) was a holy paladin, myself (also holy, priest obviously by my signature) and resto shaman. The shaman and pally both tend to trump me on straight numbers (and straight overhealing, but that is another story). The rest of our setup was as follows.

Tanks : Paladin, Warrior (pally on Nef, warrior on Ony)
    Melee - Ret pally, rogue
    Ranged - Fire mage, Marks hunter, Balance druid

Healing assignments in phase 1 went as follows. Paladin on off-tank, shaman on main tank, myself on raid. First crackle, I would pop Hymn of Hope after topping everyone off. After second crackly, the shaman pops MTT. During transition, our paladin pops his Plea for some regen.

I should also point out that we're all pretty well geared, and two of those healers (myself and our paladin) have the healing trinket off of Cho'gall. For myself, trinket + Lightweave (580 intellect proc) + flask (300 intellect) + food (90 intellect) + Power Torrent, with some lucky RNG, brings my combat regen to nearly 6500. I can average a phase 2 transition with about 70k mana. Our paladin tends to be the lowest at 40k.

Our separation on the pillars was the shaman taking the largest of the groups, with the two tanks, our mage, and herself. The paladin got our rogue and hunter. I got our paladin and balance druid.

I have Glyph of Lightwell (15 charges total instead of 5), which makes my platform easy to handle if my mana does happen to get low. I save Shadowfiend for phase 2. If your holy priest is running a different prime glyph other than this one, I would suggest to them to change it unless your raid still lives in Wrath of the Fail King where nobody even knew what a Lightwell was.

Once everything is established, we can have just the interrupters worry about the add (since they pull an average of 18k DPS) while the ranged start hitting Nefarion. We have our paladin SAVE DIVINE GUARDIAN FOR THIS CRACKLE. That is the key. Taking 20% less damage from that particular crackle makes it completely possible. If you do not have a holy paladin, I would not suggest this method or I would suggest finding an alternative solution to handle it.

Now, there can be better ways to split up your raid dependant on what your healers can and cannot handle. Your hybrids should be assisting on healing during phase two, especially if you are pushing a crackle.

With the OP's raid setup, I would probably go as follows (though I do not know the performance of his healers, this is merely based off generalization of standard throughput).

Pillar 1 - Prot pally (interrupter), holy priest, fire mage
    Pillar 2 - Prot pally (interrupter), resto shaman/druid, marks hunter
    Pillar 3 - Rogue (interrupter), death knight, warlock, holy pally

Make sure your raid saves healthstones for this crackle. Have one of your paladins save their Divine Guardian for this push. Have your ranged DPSers push the crackle, then only burn another 5%, then switch to the adds to finish them off to enter phase 3.

This will guarantee in phase 3 only 6 crackles to deal with (your first one will be at 60%).
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    The usual tactic for normal is to do 2x crackles in p1, then 1x crackle in air phase and kill him good in p3. IF you want to take a third crackle in P1, you will need to bring onyxia to about 200-300K hp, push nefarian to 70% (thus activating the lightning machine), and then KILL ONYXIA before the third crackle goes off. Nef will start transistioning, along with the lightning machine going off. You get ~10 seconds to heal everyone to full before you gotta swim the lava.
    We do EXACTLY that it's not THAT hard