Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Engineering/Alchemy items - patch 4.1.0

Hello folks!
    Just wanted to ask what´s your opinion on eng/alch items in 4.1.0. Do you think we will get upgrades via reputation/drop recipes for our goggles and alchemy stones? I really hope so :-)

Sadly I would guess no... Blizzard seemed to think the upgraded goggles from Sunwell were a mistake

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Proffesions Subforums.

10+ Year Old Account
    They BETTEr

10+ Year Old Account
    Knowing Blizzard, I wouldn't count on it.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Yep but when its BoP and the recipe is dropped by a boss, I dont really see any advantage which would give it to us Engineers/Alchemists. That´s why I hope they will implement some recipes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Yep but when its BoP and the recipe is dropped by a boss, I dont really see any advantage which would give it to us Engineers/Alchemists. That´s why I hope they will implement some recipes

Make the recipies drop from bosses or purchasable with valor points.

Deleted
    I would very much like to see something useful to use my Chaos Orbs on other than making goggles and disenchanting them :P

+ there will be some new engi sockets, that´s for sure - you have Cogwheel which is equal to rare sockets and Hydraulic which is equal to epic sockets. What would be the point of making new sockets for old items which are not gonna be used by anyone?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roker View Post
    I would very much like to see something useful to use my Chaos Orbs on other than making goggles and disenchanting them :P
    I would also like to have a better use for the chaos orbs. nevertheless, atm I can in fact "sell" the Chaos Orb for 800-1000g, so that's not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    I would also like to have a better use for the chaos orbs. nevertheless, atm I can in fact "sell" the Chaos Orb for 800-1000g, so that's not too shabby.
    What are you making to sell that uses chaos orbs? I thought Engineering stuff are bop?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by djpete View Post
    What are you making to sell that uses chaos orbs? I thought Engineering stuff are bop?
    bop, but disenchantable

Quote Originally Posted by
    Grimbold of Skullcrusher

+ there will be some new engi sockets, that´s for sure - you have Cogwheel which is equal to rare sockets and Hydraulic which is equal to epic sockets. What would be the point of making new sockets for old items which are not gonna be used by anyone?
    please elaborate.?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Hello folks!
    Just wanted to ask what´s your opinion on eng/alch items in 4.1.0. Do you think we will get upgrades via reputation/drop recipes for our goggles and alchemy stones? I really hope so :-)
    Short answer...no

Long answer...

the TBC model of providing perks through gear was changed to stat perks in Wrath. The reason is simple, in TBC players would change professions every content patch because the gear would prove better in one profession over another. In Wrath, BoP profession gear was relegated to be leveling tools and were easily replaced in raid content. Cataclysm continues the Wrath model so do not expect to see upgrades to the BoP items from professions.

Deleted
    So.. the best profs will be alchemy and enchanting

When considering the effort put in to create the Cogs that are engineering Goggle only gems then ya if it's not upgrades to the current goggles then it will be new ones all together. My guess is it will be rep rather than drops Blizz has been avoiding dropping things that is specific to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurgix View Post
    So.. the best profs will be alchemy and enchanting
    'Best' in terms of AH value would be Jewelry crafting and Enchanting, as those both are in high demand whenever new contenct comes out and people are replacing their gear.

Alchemy is shortly behind as there is always a need for flasks, though this goes up whenever new content hits as more people raid.

In terms of personal usefuless, they're all more-or-less balanced at present with a fairly standard 80 extra points of main stat from each (JC has a tiny edge, Tailoring does it differently, but is largely equal, and Engineering does it via a cooldown, which can arguably considered better)

As far as fun factor goes, Engineering wins, hands down.

So, 'best' is all a matter of personal taste and interests, really.

I do hope that they bring back tier-specific Engineering helms and BoP recipees for other professions in a manner other than 'rare drop from trash' like they did in Sunwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    please elaborate.?
    Check this http://www.wowhead.com/items=3.9 - Hydraulic sockets and the categhory is empty. So my guess is Hydraulic socket = Engineering epic socket. Makes sense, or not?

They originally had both Hydraulic and Cogwheels for the Engi helms, setting the stats apart for things like throughput (Crit/Haste/Master) and alternatives like Spirit/Dodge; an Engi helm could use one of each. They did away with Hydraulic items however and they are all Cogwheels now to allow for more choice and customization. AFAIK, Hydraulics are not coming back.

Coming from an alchemist:

No I do not think we will see an updated version of the stones it's not a trend they've followed in the past and it starts getting clunky when you have 20+ alchemist stone recipes imo.

That said I do think that we will see updates to the engineering helm (possibly a free ilvl boost since the QQ would be enormous else wise) because I just feel that combined with reforging Blizz really wouldn't have introduced the idea of the cogwheels for one tier of helmets (Why bother getting the perfect helm when you can get an almost perfect helm without adding the new items) and the cogwheels are just so easy to scale up with every tier of content.

The only opposition I have to the idea is Blizz doesn't like the idea of things scaling for you (It's why they did away with having scaling profession recipes like the weapon smith ones for BS and so forth and they've on numerous occasions said they wont do it for Legendaries.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dharmabhum View Post
    They originally had both Hydraulic and Cogwheels for the Engi helms, setting the stats apart for things like throughput (Crit/Haste/Master) and alternatives like Spirit/Dodge; an Engi helm could use one of each. They did away with Hydraulic items however and they are all Cogwheels now to allow for more choice and customization. AFAIK, Hydraulics are not coming back.
    Ah that´s sad. Now I see that they are no longer in Auction House filters, so you must be right :-/