The New ZG in 4.1 (PTR) --a semi-review and rant

So i was excited about 4.1 and once i transferred my hunter over and made a few pre-mades as backups, all was good. Last night i finally got into ZG for the firs time. So i Zone in and we immediately had a DC'ed member, so we kicked him, and continued on. We make it to the first boss which is Venoxxis, which much like kael in magisters, the first ZG was merely a setback...

First encounter notes and comments

So after 5-6 wipes, after blood sweat and tears, and a whole lot of poison, we got him down...and then we realized...there is no loot implemented yet for this testing phase. lolwut.

So basically this boss he comes down off the platform, our bear tank tanked him to the right of the stairs, and he hits a random person with a green beam chain link thing, that basically if you get it you have to get as far away as you can from the other person you are linked to, before it goes away. He then spawns green patches of poison that "snake" along the ground, forming a green lines, poison maze, which you have to avoid touching the sides, and most of the time getting screwed by not having anywhere to go when he does the next phase...

which is to bombard the better portion of the maze with a poison river, so if he hits your area, and you are in the maze in a corner and nowhere to go you have to eat it, and it ticks hard, if you run across the maze lines, while taking damage from the river of poison you will pretty much die, healer has a hell of time keeping you up with 40k hits every 2 seconds. so then he will return to the stairs, shoot his chain stuff at people, come stomping down, and be dazed (this is the dps phase) before he will resume his making the poison maze again, and then the river phase, and repeat till dead

once you get the phases down and can avoid the maze + river its really not that bad a fight, he goes down like a sack of wet potatoes we had no dps problems, but melee dps gets owned hard, because besidees the green chain he casts these green bubbles of poison muck under you, and you cant really run away from them, they pop up explode but dont do a lot of damage just annoying, he also does a frontal cone poison spray, and as melee you also have to avoid the maze walls as you try to dps him, melee have it hard on this fight

as a hunter i just stood and shot his face off, and hunters can forget their pets on this fight, they don't survive at all, in melee range the green stuff ticks for 40k a tick, every single attempt my pet died, no saving your pet unless you only send in pet on dps phase when he is exhausted but that phase only lasts not even 10 seconds from what i saw. When we downed him only person to get the achievement was the gnome priest healer, he was very pro, the achievement is to not get hit by any of his 3 poison abilities during the fight (poison maze, poison something assuming his frontal cone and the poison river) which i failed because i died to bad luck on maze and river nowhere to run

So long long post short, 1st fight is fun, but really frustrating and i think a little overturned on damage, our tank was in full 359+ epics, his gear was fantastic, tank didn't die but took a hell a lot of damage, our priest kept him up well, he was a really good pro healer though, if they expect us to do this place in 349 heroic blues, tanks are going to step it up cuz this guy wasn't that easy on the damage, and even ranged if they get hit by wall and river, its gg
    Last edited by Urza29; 2011-02-28 at 03:48 PM. Reason: took out my rant

I hear the PTR is used to test and tune fights

More review and less describing how someone DC's and/or gets kicked or dies.

indeed it is, i was just posting on my first time in there, I'm sure it will get better, right now i think the damage is a bit high still, but its doable not impossible by any means

---------- Post added 2011-02-28 at 03:46 PM ----------

lol yeah that was my rant part, cuz of the way PTR is, there is a lot of dc's and people crashing, i could edit them out really when i get to typing i tend to describe everything in detail

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by goozen View Post
    I hear the PTR is used to test and tune fights
    This Blizzard would most likely buff the place if it is so easy now.

Did this fight last night on my resto shaman....this fight is definitely way to easy....after loosing two dps in the first 20 seconds then the third after about a minute me and the tank killed the boss from about 70% and I got the achievement. Pro tip...if you are a ranged DPS or healer you can stand outside of the maze (near the cliff drop) and just run along the cliffs edge during the poison beam phase.

The funniest part is the second (?) boss where you're near the Frost Fire cauldron thing and if you have it on you you bring anything you hit to like 10% health. Bugs are funny.

Third boss was a bit harder. It's the summoned one. Abilities are:
    -Random lines on ground that spawn spikes after a few seconds that basically 1 hit kill you (200k damage maybe?)
    -Grows and chases someone (slowly) but roots you which needs to be dispelled or he 1-hits anyone (except tank).

I think that's it? Fairly simple. I forget if there was anything else.

Fourth was after the staircase going down. We didn't kill her, people went afk. But was easy until 50% or some lower percentage where all the cats around her woke up and jumped people. Would've been easy to AoE down or just have a pally tank consecrate and keep them occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by dbgokux4 View Post
    Third boss was a bit harder. It's the summoned one. Abilities are:
    -Random lines on ground that spawn spikes after a few seconds that basically 1 hit kill you (200k damage maybe?)
    -Grows and chases someone (slowly) but roots you which needs to be dispelled or he 1-hits anyone (except tank).
    Were you guys able to do Bloodlord? I saw a video on youtube of a group doing it but when we got to him our tank one shot him. XD
    Also where is the third boss in the instance? Once my group did High Priest, Bloodlord and various other mini bosses my group disbaned.

90% of the damage on that fight is avoidable. I've done the whole place with 346 ilvl premades. People just gotta learn to play right.

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 12:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Destrozo View Post
    Were you guys able to do Bloodlord? I saw a video on youtube of a group doing it but when we got to him our tank one shot him. XD
    Also where is the third boss in the instance? Once my group did High Priest, Bloodlord and various other mini bosses my group disbaned.
    Like the guy said frost cauldrons which reduce who you hit for 90% of their health is a bug. The normal fight goes like this. He will do a cone which will 1 shot you. He will randomly charge people and decapitate them killing them. A spirit who is chained in the area will come and rez people. He will start sending his raptor around to kill the spirits. The raptor is slowable/stunnable/snarable. Every time he kills someone he levels up and gets a stacking buff. It's basically a dps and and don't get killed by aoe fight.
    Last edited by Evilmaniac; 2011-03-01 at 12:47 AM.

Deleted
    I just made an account here to react on this matter.
    I think the first fight is way too easy, I have done him 2 times now, the first time 3 dps died and me and the healer killed him from 40% (this was on a premade character).
    The second time I was on my normal character copied from live and soloed him from about 80% (the first time the maze appears).
    I am a dk in 346 gear with some 359, but because luck of the draw I have 219k hp and 15% increased healing, this combined with the fact that almost all of the dmg is avoidable makes it too easy for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Urza29 View Post
    So long long post short, 1st fight is fun, but really frustrating and i think a little overturned on damage, if they expect us to do this place in 346 heroic blues, tanks are going to step it up cuz this guy wasn't that easy on the damage, and even ranged if they get hit by wall and river, its gg
    Sounds like business as usual then, no different from launch week Cataclysm heroics with everyone in quest gear and blues. Tough but doable is good.