Tips for a rusty prot pally

I used to be ret/prot back in 3.1 and I switched my holy is back to prot yesterday and was quite surprised at how much it's changed. One thing I've noticed is I look down at my action bars way too much. Clcret used to have a prot option but I looked and didn't see it now, is there an addon that helps with prot rotation? I basically go SotR>CS/HoR>judge>AS as my rotation now. I did a few practice runs just on normal to see how I did, and a few times I ran into the problem of pulling a group and not grabbing enough aggro on all of them at once and one might wonder off to attack someone else. I'm thinking it's because I have the forced AS glyph I think it's called, where it only hits 1 target but 30% more dmg. Only have that because it makes more sense for when I tank raids. One last question, should I regularly use WoG for the buff it gives? Forget what it does exactly. Or just stick with SotR?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughJustice View Post
    I used to be ret/prot back in 3.1 and I switched my holy is back to prot yesterday and was quite surprised at how much it's changed. One thing I've noticed is I look down at my action bars way too much. Clcret used to have a prot option but I looked and didn't see it now, is there an addon that helps with prot rotation? I basically go SotR>CS/HoR>judge>AS as my rotation now. I did a few practice runs just on normal to see how I did, and a few times I ran into the problem of pulling a group and not grabbing enough aggro on all of them at once and one might wonder off to attack someone else. I'm thinking it's because I have the forced AS glyph I think it's called, where it only hits 1 target but 30% more dmg. Only have that because it makes more sense for when I tank raids. One last question, should I regularly use WoG for the buff it gives? Forget what it does exactly. Or just stick with SotR?

Thanks
    That's pretty much the standard rotation. AS really helps to hold aggro on multiple target when it's not glyphed. if you're running more heroics than raids I'd trade the AS glyph for a different one at least until you are done with heroics. I tend to cycle through targets (especially ones where DPS is going balls to the walls on) and throw a judgement their way. if you're having threat problems use SotR however if threat is fine and/or you're having trouble staying alive then use WoG. the buff a WoG gives you is that if you're full health an overhealing the WoG gives you will be converted into a shield.
    Last edited by LimeSudz; 2011-02-28 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling error

If you're having trouble with AoE threat, you can drop consecration and use Holy Wrath, I would recommend removing the AS glyph if you want more help in AoE. Also, spam HoR, it's a full 360 degree hit if it lands. If you're really having issues, perhaps pop Wings or use HP for Inq and then drop consecration or HW.

Make sure you have Righteous Fury on too!

For AoE I'd say start with AS (unglyphed), judge the run running towards you if you want, then HoR, consec, and HW once they reach you. Spam HoR and HW when it's up. You shouldn't have too much trouble there, especially if your dps is focus firing. If not, you might have to switch targets and SotR individually, but you can still HoR to gather overall threat.

Hope some of this helps.

Edit: This is an extreme AoE rotation, and not what I'd do on every pull. But if you're having issues, there are some things you can use to make it easier. When they are easier, you shouldn't need the HW or consec much.

Id actually consider reprioritizing your single target rotation to make judgment more prominant. IIRC from maintankadin the order is
    judge-SHOTR-CS-AS-holy wrath-consecrate
    judgment being prioritized first because:
    1. Mana is great to have
    2. The crit buff should have as much uptime as possible
    3. It applies a vegeance stack so if you judge on pull, tiny bit more threat.

As for aoe I typically do something like
    1. Plea for HP
    2. Inquisition
    3. Avengers shield
    4. HOTR HOTR HOTR HOTR

get into the habit of marking and ccing, pull back away from the aor and follow a single target rotation on the remaining mobs, but replace CS with HOTR, that should be sufficiant to hold agro on other targets while the skull ou marked is dying.

Deleted
    The most important thing for AoE tanking:

Inquisition.

You should be doing the following -

AoE Tanking Rotation:

Divine Plea (if you have available will give 3 HP straight off for full inquisition) -> Avenger's Shield to pull -> Hammer of the Righteous -> Inquisition (this also activates Holy Shield btw) -> HoR again (this second one will be boosted threat from Inquisition) -> Other abilities from here on in such as Holy Wrath and Consecrate. You should also be able to get 3 HP and activate Inquisition followed by Holy Wrath & Consecrate for extra threat.

Single Target / Boss Rotation:

Avenging Wrath (for bosses) -> Avenger's Shield -> Judgement whilst running in -> Crusader Strike -> 1 Holy Power SotR (for Holy Shield) -> Judgement / Crusade Strike -> Get 3 stacks of HP and SotR mixing in Avenger's Shield when possible.
    Last edited by mmoc4fa48d822f; 2011-02-28 at 05:31 PM.