Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What to do about standing in fire?

So I was posting on another thread and am wondering what would help the stand in fire types. This is not a QQ, or a flame thread, but just a discussion. First I tank and my wife heals, we are now mostly epic'd out and the heroics are a cake walk now, even with bad players. Since we over gear now, we can finish many fights just the 2 of us. She has a big enough mana pool, and I have enough stam/mitigation/avoidance where she can heal the stand in the fire types with little to no issue. Some are still not healable like GB and VP

But here is my question: What is the best thing to do FOR bad players, heal em or let em die and explain? This isn't let them die QQ thread. She almost always heals them, and then says to me "How will the learn to be better if I heal em, but I can't let people die"

I tell her to let them die and maybe they will eventually learn that things on the ground are usually bad, they will get sick of dieing. Once again this is not a spiteful thing, I am just wondering if she is enabling them to never learn

So what is the best thing to do?

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I heal them for a little bit, but if I see them continuing to stand I'll let them die, and as I'm rezzing them I'll explain "such and such mechanic killed you. It's easy to avoid if you move out of it. "

Usually, they catch on before their death (and the second they move I start topping them back up), but often it legitimately helps to tell them what killed them and how to spot it to move out of.

Deleted
    Option 1: Explain it
    If they realize what they were doing wrong, and are willing to look out better for it, just heal them when they make 1 more mistake. Mistakes can happen, everyone makes them.

Option 2: If you have explained what they were doing wrong, but they just respond retarded [NO CHU HEAL ME HEALZ0R TROLOLOLOLO, Something like that] I'd heal them once more, but after that let them die, and they'll eventually leave when they are sick of dieing.

It maybe sounds not fair, but if they are really retarded... Nothing to do than what I mentoined ; / (That's what I think =P )

I'm of the opinion that if they're standing in fire/other random bad stuff, it will cost less mana to res them after the fight than to keep them alive spamming heals. I don't even have an 85 healing class yet, but I still support letting people die if they're chronically ignoring mechanics. Maybe that repair bill or no longer staring at their numbers in recount during the fight will convince them to start paying more attention.

See that's the thing, 90% of the time we have been blessed to get cool people, so she feels bad if they die. If the person is a jerk, she will let them die.

I always ask if anyone doesn't know the fight and explain what to watch for, and yet time and time again we get people who won't move. I chuckle a bit, and it is usually predictable who will be "that one"

Just to clarify, I am not talking about the whoops I did it once type. Heck I even get distracted by shiny objects and she has to yell at me. But like in HoO you get the melle who despite me explaining I will LoS the mobs and mark skull he charges it and stuns it, won't move from the fire mini boss, then stands in the purple on the ground etc. By now you get it is a pattern

15+ Year Old Account
    I also heal them for a few seconds, but no longer. I don't ress them after. If they fuck up and kill themself, I'm not gonna be the one healing them through it and I'm not gonna be the one making their life easier either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    I also heal them for a few seconds, but no longer. I don't ress them after. If they fuck up and kill themself, I'm not gonna be the one healing them through it and I'm not gonna be the one making their life easier either.
    LOL this is a bit further that we would go. The only time she won't rez is if we all wipe and one member refuses to release. She will rez once, and I usually tell them to release next time.

It isn't about punishment, it is about trying to help people play better

10+ Year Old Account
    let them burn

I always thought failure/loss promotes learning/character building, and in this sense, it's literal. The best possible solution is to reset the fight until everyone does it correctly and not let them win to make them think what they do matters, but no one wants to spend that time to teach people right from wrong, really. So it's your call. Letting them die still reveals yourself as an individual, but I think if you explain the fight and everyone knows what they SHOULD do, that's the best course of action despite if the end result is them dying/you still downing a boss. You can try to teach a baby to walk, but they'll only do it when they're ready.

Heal them unless it is risking someone more important such as the tank or yourself dying or if someone less stupid needs a heal.

Let them die. If they're really that bad to not notice their health dipping, then why should you exert yourself to stop them?

15+ Year Old Account

Smile

When I heal, I tell them "hey fire, move".. I actually have a macro for it... " %t you're in fire, get out! " . if they are constantly in fire, i just let them die and rez them and say "Sorry, can't heal stupid".

The best are when uh.. (brain fart... 2nd boss SFK...) when Commander whats his face does his purple shield of death, and tanks just stand in it... its fun to let them die, then heal a dps for an easier time

10+ Year Old Account
    try to explain to them what they're doing wrong, don't swear, don't use ALL CAPS, just in a reasonable way say 'Hi, sorry don't mean to pry/be rude but if you do blahblahblah then you'll last longer/do better dps whatever' If they keep doing the wrong thing... fuck em let em die, Natural selection FTW
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    there will always be people who stand in fire...if you are up to the challenge of explaining again and again and again and again and again

If they stand in bad stuff I don't heal them on my alt as I do not have the mana pool for it.

Also, if you heal them then they won't learn the lesson of staying out of bad stuff.

get the add-on GTFO it tells you when your standing in anything bad

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    LOL this is a bit further that we would go. The only time she won't rez is if we all wipe and one member refuses to release. She will rez once, and I usually tell them to release next time.

It isn't about punishment, it is about trying to help people play better
    People will not learn to play better. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way anymore. If you don't do it from the beginning you basically help people being even more retarded, 'cause they won't learn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I heal, this is what I do.

Me: *upon entering the dungeon* hey guys, make sure to stay out of fire, helps everyone

Player X is standing in the fire.

Me: Please get out of stuff on the ground. *toss a heal on him hoping he'll move soon and I won't have to waste mana healing him to full*
    him: *does nothing*
    Me: GET OUT OF STUFF NOW *toss weaker heals, enough to counter fire, not enough to keep him alive.
    him: *does nothing*
    me: let him die, explain that he won't get heals if he stands in stuff.

This has generally worked well enough to get most players to stay out of the bad shit. I dunno if they take these lessons to heart or not, but it makes my dungeon experience better even if they take it for my dungeon alone, and to that end, it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nørf View Post
    People will not learn to play better. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way anymore. If you don't do it from the beginning you basically help people being even more retarded, 'cause they won't learn it.
    ye theyre born without the ability to learn

If you find that you are standing in fire, here are the steps you should take to ensure the best possible outcome:

1. Look at your health and see if it is going down - also pay attention to the scrolling red numbers above your avatar's head.
    2. Read the chat to see if raid members are screaming at you.
    3. Recognize the visual likeness of 'flames' or 'fire' on the ground that is at or near your character's feet.
    4. Check your inventory for hot dogs or marshmallows.
    5. Stand there dps'ing or better yet doing nothing at all.
    6. Die.
    7. Leave group.
    8. Exit game.
    9. Uninstall WoW.
    10. Kill self.
    I'm sorry, but i just have to tell you that you are an ignorant, closed minded fool, and you need to chill out, think more, and quit being such a douche. Your responses are shrill, closed minded, and ignorant. You need to think outside the box sometimes, and realize its blizzards game and you are not ghostcrawler.