Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How does "build it yourself" helps in his situation?

It has been said, if you paid with credit card, just call the credit card company and tell them what happened. They will issue a chargeback. Cyberpower will not receive their money. You will get yours back without any restocking fee etc.
    Last edited by Moropo; 2011-02-28 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought 2 Cyberpower PC's and not one problem with either

I would totally build my own, I just have problems finding what parts are compatible or just making sure they're compatible. Like if i get this case, then this mobo, with this heatsink, will it all fit? etc.

And other things like connecting a power supply to the right places, I've just never actually built one myself, I have installed ram and disc drives and what not, I'm just too scared to screw something up putting a whole one together lol

As with all electronic goods there is a failure rate though it is usualy quite low on retail items.
    In the UK you need to prove the item is faulty, if you can't the seller dosnt need to do squat, if the problem is intermitent and you send it back you need to be damn lucky for it to show for the person testing it.
    By the sounds of it you have had an intermitent problem and sent it back, they have tested it and it worked fine so they sent it back, you recieve it and its still faulty so you send it back again.
    So now they have what they think is a working comp that you are wanting a refund on and they dont realy want to give you one so they are trying to get back as much money as they can.
    It happens unfortunetly and though they are most likley in the wrong you need to understand that they have done it by the book and you and them are unlucky that the fault is there and that it isnt showing when its returned.

And yes i did work returns in a game store and the amount of times we had consoles come back that worked fine instore but were returned a few times as faulty (360's in particular) the only good thing was we could take the customer back to see the thing being tested.
    So if you had a fault take videos or pictures of it happening and it helps alot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorepic83 View Post
    I would totally build my own, I just have problems finding what parts are compatible or just making sure they're compatible. Like if i get this case, then this mobo, with this heatsink, will it all fit? etc.

And other things like connecting a power supply to the right places, I've just never actually built one myself, I have installed ram and disc drives and what not, I'm just too scared to screw something up putting a whole one together lol
    Sorry to get off-topic OP.

Almost all of the cable connectors are fitted. You can't put plugs where they aren't mean to be placed. Once you look inside the PC and look at the connections and the holes on the components themselves it gets pretty basic. Big ones from the PSU go to the Mobo, The row 4 pin (Molex) go to the components.
    With no floppy drive and Sata taking over from ata the cables are a breeze. The only thing that might be frustrating for newcomers is the front end pins (for the LEDs, Front USB, Audio/Mic jack). But most of them are coming standard and moulded into blocks now.

Once again, sorry for the off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    DON'T BUY A PRE-BUILT PC! BUILD IT YOURSELF!

There, I fixed it for you o_O
    Not everyone can I for one am completely retarded, and have managed to bork it both times I've tried, despite being walked through it step by step.

Used them twice.Both PCs are running great.Also sent a friend there and he is more than satisfied.As far as building your own i compared parts and it would have been 100-150 less to build my own,but i get a year warranty ,and was able to upgrade parts on a base model.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Sorry to get off-topic OP.

Almost all of the cable connectors are fitted. You can't put plugs where they aren't mean to be placed. Once you look inside the PC and look at the connections and the holes on the components themselves it gets pretty basic. Big ones from the PSU go to the Mobo, The row 4 pin (Molex) go to the components.
    With no floppy drive and Sata taking over from ata the cables are a breeze. The only thing that might be frustrating for newcomers is the front end pins (for the LEDs, Front USB, Audio/Mic jack). But most of them are coming standard and moulded into blocks now.

Once again, sorry for the off topic.
    Nice, yea I've been looking at some guides and what not and probably will be building me a new rig in the next couple months. I used to get my comps built at this local LAN Party / Internet Cafe place in Phoenix AZ but they went out of business not long ago. Too bad, because they did some really quality work.

What a nightmare my experience was with them. I picked the case, HD, MB, CPU, GPU, all this. Thought the 3 year warranty from them was a deal, not to mention the low cost. I got the PC, and the vid card crapped out nearly instantly. I went through their RMA process to get the following:

1. Send Card in, wait with no Video
    2. Get the new card, guess they like giving me used parts, but oh well
    3. Put the new but used card in, same problem
    4. Request specifically they don't send me the POS card brand and rather send me the new card I paid for
    5. Get the card in the mail, again it's used, different manufacturer. I don't even use the card at this point because it LOOKS beat up and cheap
    6. Call the BBB and complain, asking for my money back or a new functioning card from a decent manufacturer
    7. Weeks go by and the HQ calls me and apologizes, hoping to keep my business and get to the bottom of it
    8. Finally get a decent new card in the mail that works

I am on my third Cyberpower computer and I've never had a problem, but I have heard mixed reviews about their service. As it stands, I only recommend Cyberpower PCs to certain people - those that have computer hardware experience, know how to select quality components, and can troubleshoot the kind of issues you might run into if you were to "build it yourself."

The reason being that's basically what Cyberpower is. None of the components used in their systems (save maybe the PSU if you're too cheap to get a quality one) are actually branded/manufactured by Cyberpower. The upside of this is you never run into issues with proprietary (non-standard) hardware/configurations. The downside is they often direct people to the individual hardware manufacturers for support - which can be frustrating.

They're NOT a computer manufacturer like Dell or HP or Apple. They are a computer builder - and that's it. So why not build it myself? Every time I've ordered a computer from Cyberpower, I've gone to Newegg and tried to peice together an equivalent system and I've never been able to peice together a system for more than $100 less than what the Cyberpower system costs. (Some people like to argue that last point, but I'm only speaking of my experience with the configurations I've purchased. Your mileage may vary.)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would have built it myself, but buying it from them was only a little more expensive (About $100) and it came with a 3 year warranty so I figured why not?

And I was fully aware of the restocking fee's before I bought it, it is a common practice in this day and age that I don't disagree with, the problem is the machine has never worked properly, If I was simply returning it for none defective reason, than certainly, but the fact I'm being charged to return a computer that was sent to me broken is ridiculous.

My first problem with it was after spending 2 days downloading wow, I finally got the play it and the comp kept turning itself off, just black screen and boot.

My second problem was after downloading everything for 2 days again the comp kept blue screening, would be idle on the desktop with nothing running, playing wow, playing Minecraft just serfing the web, bluescreen after bluescreen.

Its honestly even more disheartening to see so many people speaking so highly of them and for me to have such a bad experience... I was really excited I was getting it from these guys, all of this has just been horrible.

I'm sorry that you had a shitty experience with cyberpower. I've had nothing but good quality stuff from them. Fairly cheap too.

I got a core i7 set up nearly 2 years ago for ~1,200usd from them and not an issue one. It came with everything that I ordered, installed correctly, down to the thermal paste on the cpu/gpu core. I did have problems with ibuypower, though.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

At least you didn't buy a dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellytm3 View Post
    get what money back from them that you can,and build your own.
    Agreed.

It's really not all that difficult and you can get much better individual pieces when bought separately than when buying a package PC.

Biggest difference is that each individual piece is warrantied instead of the entire PC under one warranty.

Once I found out how easy it was to build a PC I never went back and have never had a problem with bad pieces of gear.

However, thanks for the info on cyberpower. I'll make sure I pass the word along. I can't stand poor CSR.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalenin View Post
    At least you didn't buy a dell.
    Dell actually has pretty good customer service generally.

rng remember randomness and computer hardware failure

one case out of a thousand does not mean absolute horror
    a personal experience is just that a personal experience in order for it to gain traction that cyber pc was a really horrible manufacturer we would need more convincing evidence then a one-5 people that had a bad experience because we have little ability to measure the amount of people that got a positive experience or even if we did humans tend to forget what dosent fit with there current mindset

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 12:27 AM ----------

there are lots of negative press about everyone if you look hard enough you would think that dell never delivers a computer on time hp tech support dosent exist and that intel cpu's fry from simply turning them on
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

I don't think that hes complaining about the fact that he happened to be a statistic, but rather the way he was treated/it was handled.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    rng remember randomness and computer hardware failure

one case out of a thousand does not mean absolute horror
    a personal experience is just that a personal experience in order for it to gain traction that cyber pc was a really horrible manufacturer we would need more convincing evidence then a one-5 people that had a bad experience because we have little ability to measure the amount of people that got a positive experience or even if we did humans tend to forget what dosent fit with there current mindset

---------- Post added 2011-03-01 at 12:27 AM ----------

there are lots of negative press about everyone if you look hard enough you would think that dell never delivers a computer on time hp tech support dosent exist and that intel cpu's fry from simply turning them on
    I certainly agree, lemons happen, bad experiences happen, no company is perfect, its how the companies handle the bad problems when they DO happen that's important, my problem is that the company could have made this whole situation so much less pain full. They could have taken responsibility, THEY COULD HAVE JUST BEEN SORRY FFS. I'm not complaining that I'm a statistic, shit happens, but there was no need for this to have gone so wrong... there is no need to make me wait 2 months for a new computer...

You are absolutely right

Many people have come and said how they this # of PCs from them and no problems etc. Irrelevant in this case. I mean, congratulations you didnt have any problems, but he did, which is also acceptable since there is always a failure rate, but the way the company has handled it is just unacceptable.

are people still trying to get customer service in this day and age? get with the times, expect the worst, and do as much as you can yourself.