Q about connecting comp to modem?

so i have a quick question about connecting computers to internet modems. im about to get a new comp, and will be using it for gaming mainly. in my basement, we have our modem set up, but we have the wire go up to the main level where it is plugged into the router. the only computer in the house is connected right into that router on the main floor.
    when i get my new comp, i plan on putting it in the basement. it wouldnt be very close to the modem, but would i be able to connect it right to the modem? if so, are there longer cords available?
    if not, ill just end up buying an antenna thingy for my computer, but just wondering if plugging it straight to the modem is possible because im not the most knowledgeable person with computers.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    check your phone book for a locally owned cable company, I had a guy make me several years back a 100 foot CAT5 cable for around 10 bucks.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Depends just how long the distance is between the computer and the router.
    You can get ones as long as 30m (possibly higher depending on where you get them from). Or as above, find someone with the know-how to make their own.
    If that is not long enough you can use these boxes to extend your distance and join 2 separate cables together. (The one linked is a 10 pack, you can get them separately from your favoured pc hardware vendor)
    If you are really that desperate you could go further, but you may find speeds decrease as your cable becomes unrealistically long.
    If you are able to drill through walls/floors you may find a 15m-20m cable is actually sufficient.
    If you cant and your router has wifi connections you may find its more cost efficient/less damage to the house just to get a wifi adapter though.

well does the computer need to be directly plugged in to the router, or the modem?
    because the router will be on the main floor, and the computer will be in the basement. so if i would need to plug it into the router, i wouldnt bother. if it can be plugged right into the modem, its about 15 feet away, so i would probably go buy a cable/one of the ideas listed above

10+ Year Old Account
    Your modem will likely have one input for a CAT cable connection, use that input to connect to the router, and computers will either directly connect through a cable to the router or via a wireless adapter.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

That's a little confusing. Your modem is in the basement, your new computer will also go in the basement, but the modem and computer wont be very close to each other? Approximately how far apart will they be? Do you still need internet access to the computer on the main floor?

To answer your question about connecting your new computer right to the modem, the answer is probably yes. Your modem may even have a built in switch that allows you to connect multiple computers to it. What's the Make and Model number of your modem?

10+ Year Old Account
    He has modem in basement, Router upstairs, router connects to upstairs computer. He wants new computer that is installed in basement to connect to the modem.

Can't do it unless your modem has multiple CAT connections, which it won't, you'll need to run a cable up to the router, but I would recommend buying a longer cable, moving the modem and router near the basement computer, and running the longer cable from the router to the upstairs computer.

Nothing will drive you more nuts than sitting at your downstairs computer, having a connection issue, and running back and forth from upstairs to down to diagnose it.

Yeah just move the router to the basement. Connect the modem to the router there. Then plug the cat5 wire that goes upstairs into the router and the computer up there. Now you access to the router in the basement.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-02-28 at 09:28 PM.