15+ Year Old Account

Constant Driver Crashes

Greetings,

I have a second hand rig sitting around that I've been using for WoW mainly.

The current video card is an ATI Radeon 4650. I installed the latest drivers (which I believe, were from February 15th?) from their main site.

Everything was fine until I logged back in. For some odd reason, maybe 2 minutes after startup, everything gets all grainy, it freezes, and goes to a blank screen forcing me to do a hard reboot.

I got the BSOD one time, and it seemed to be related to ATIKMDAG.

I don't have any backups on this specific machine because I'm a moron, I'm wondering what my options are? I'm on safe mode with networking ATM.

Thanks!

You can try to remove the graphic card's drivers, reboot and try to install again but it sounds like the graphic card is telling you it's dieing.

Hello.

Did you install this newest driver after you encountered this error? Haveyou tried rolling back to the previous driver or installing an older one?

Uninstall, reboot safe mode, http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

Clean all ATI drivers.

Reboot, download latest Catalyst drivers and install, reboot again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by einaschern View Post
    Hello.

Did you install this newest driver after you encountered this error? Haveyou tried rolling back to the previous driver or installing an older one?
    Currently trying Ayako's suggestions but right now, I'll answer this.

It started after I rebooted after installing the newest driver. It didn't even give me enough time to uninstall the old one before it went to an error - and I can't uninstall in safe mode. Absolutely NO ISSUES AT ALL prior to installing the drivers a few hours ago.

However, I went into the configuration and set my default video to the onboard and is working fine from here, so I know it's related to the drivers or the video card, thankfully, nothing else.

I'll post back with news in a sec after I try Ayako's suggestions.

---------- Post added 2011-02-28 at 05:58 PM ----------

So far that seems to be doing the trick...*knocks on wood*