Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shouldn't the Females be "Witches"?

Isn't that what the female counterpart to a warlock is? I mean I get why they are all called warlocks (multiple class names within races is just silly), just wondered if they thought about this when they were developing.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

10+ Year Old Account
    would be nice tho,

Name
    Level 85 Night Elf Huntress

yea!
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

aside from Hunters, locks and priests idk if any of the other classes would be affected...
    mage, shaman, warrior, paladin, rogue, Death Knight, and Druid are unisex;
    Hunter / Huntress, Warlock / Witch, Priest / Priestess are the only gender changing names

not worth Blizz's time imho

15+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't the Females be "Witches"?
    Aren't they already? /rimshot

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    No way. If we're having warlocks and witches then we need to have warriors and warriettes, shaman and shawoman, death knights and death dames...
    Death Damsels has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. YARG

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, if you are a follower of the way.
    Here is how it works. Witches are both male and female. Wizards never existed they were just a story. Warlocks were practitioners of dark arts also knows a satanists in later times they were also male and female.

The title was never to do with gender it was to do with what you followed. (sorry am a history and alternate religion buff)

15+ Year Old Account
    You will never break my belief in the Pinball Wizard.

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwell View Post
    Isn't that what the female counterpart to a warlock is? I mean I get why they are all called warlocks (multiple class names within races is just silly), just wondered if they thought about this when they were developing.
    By this same logic female night elf disc priests should be called priestsesses of the moon. I like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombikilla View Post
    aside from Hunters, locks and priests idk if any of the other classes would be affected...
    mage, shaman, warrior, paladin, rogue, Death Knight, and Druid are unisex;
    Hunter / Huntress, Warlock / Witch, Priest / Priestess are the only gender changing names

not worth Blizz's time imho
    Shawoman x]
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. A witch is a generic female magic-using evil doer. A warlock, while classically male, is overall a rather gender neutral title, and more specifically references someone who has power over demons, rather than someone who just uses magic to do evil.

Deleted
    As far as I know are witches both male and female, and therefor not the same as a warlock :P
    Nobody uses witch for males, but that's because they do not fit to the picture we have from witches. (Old lady with black cat :P)

Wikipedia agrees with me
    A witch is a person who practices witchcraft. a Warlock is not a male witch, Warlock means traitor or devil.
    Oh, and a Huntress is by no means the female equivalent of a Hunter...Huntress is a special title given to Nelf soldiers, wich are clearly no Hunters.
    I've read a discussion about this before, it started exactly the same...hmm...

Regarding the Huntress:

Misunderstandings
    A common misunderstanding regarding huntresses is that they are the feminine versions of a night elf hunter, a male night elf hunter is called simply a hunter, and a female night elf hunter is called a huntress. This is wrong. Huntresses are elite mounted warriors of the Sentinel army, and have very little to do with the night elf hunter. Although a large majoirty of hunters who are night elves are female, regardless of gender, both male and female hunters are refered to as simply, hunters. No masculine or feminine name variations are required or given.
    Last edited by mmocc4309604a4; 2011-02-28 at 11:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    FYI, googling Warlock returns Wowwiki before Wikipedia.
    We won this battle, friends!

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Azragarn View Post
    No, if you are a follower of the way.
    Here is how it works. Witches are both male and female. Wizards never existed they were just a story. Warlocks were practitioners of dark arts also knows a satanists in later times they were also male and female.

The title was never to do with gender it was to do with what you followed. (sorry am a history and alternate religion buff)
    Thank you. Was about to post the exact same thing just now, but you beat me to it.

Shaman ~Shamanka
    Mage~
    Hunter~Huntres
    Warlock~Witch(?)
    Rogue~
    Priest~Priestess
    Warrior~Amazon(?)
    Druid~Bandrui(?)
    Ahhh, Just a quick guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    yes, yes they should. warlocks bing witchs would be nice and there are ohters that they could do. like huntress and priestess

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't warlock mean 'oathbreaker' or 'deceiver' which could also reference the great deceiver, i.e. the devil?

In either case, if I recall correctly, wasn't Scottish the only culture that called male witches 'warlocks?' If so, I wouldn't say just based off one culture go renaming a 'class' to its gender counterpart.
    When in doubt, assume you rolled a natural 1.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    FYI, googling Warlock returns Wowwiki before Wikipedia.
    We won this battle, friends!
    Haha--nice.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Aren't they already? /rimshot
    take me. right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    In game there are all ready npc called witches. one is the goblin lock trainer in Org. and you see Priest and Priestess.....also sometimes huntress. It would be cool, but not sure blizz would do it.

Witches come from the Wiccan religion, and yes males can be witches too.

I think one downside to being this specific is that lorewise it opens the door to calling a lot of other classes different things across other divides. For example, in-game Paladins probably should not all be called Paladins, as not all are former Knights of the Silver Hand, some are Blood Knights, some are Sunwalkers, etc.