Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The last part of Dragon Age: Origins

I'm playing through Dragon Age for the first time, trying to beat it before the 2nd one comes out, and I'm at the last boss. Is it just me, or did the game get like 3 times harder after the landsmeet? I rarely ever died before this, but now i'm stuck fighting the Archdemon. I've died like 6 times. (It also got buggier. That dwarven merchant's son was standing in front of the door to the roof and sold me potions)

Does anyone have any advice for the last boss? I have 28 redcliffe soldiers, 17 dwarves, 50 elves, and 5 mages at the start of the fight. I have Allister as the tank, Wynne as healer, Morrigan, and me (arcane warrior)

Sandal being at the door there isn't a bug. He's supposed to be there, you can even ask him why he is there. Course, he'll just answer "Enchantment!"

Are you playing it on normal? If so, just turn the difficulty down if you are dying too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    I'm playing through Dragon Age for the first time, trying to beat it before the 2nd one comes out, and I'm at the last boss. Is it just me, or did the game get like 3 times harder after the landsmeet? I rarely ever died before this, but now i'm stuck fighting the Archdemon. I've died like 6 times. (It also got buggier. That dwarven merchant's son was standing in front of the door to the roof and sold me potions)

Does anyone have any advice for the last boss? I have 28 redcliffe soldiers, 17 dwarves, 50 elves, and 5 mages at the start of the fight. I have Allister as the tank, Wynne as healer, Morrigan, and me (arcane warrior)
    The son is intended to be there.

I can't really give you any suggestions but if your Arcane Warrior is built right I can't see how you can possibly fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Sandal being at the door there isn't a bug. He's supposed to be there, you can even ask him why he is there. Course, he'll just answer "Enchantment!"

Are you playing it on normal? If so, just turn the difficulty down if you are dying too much.
    Oh ok lol, it seemed too sketchy to be on purpose.

And yea, i switched it to casual at the beginning of the final onslought.

Do you think i might be too "mage heavy" with me, wynne and morrigan? I'm an arcane warrior so i thought it would be ok

Hmm.. what difficulty are you playing on? Also, are you playing on the PC or console? I honestly struggled playing parts of the game on my buddies console. For PC I found it quite easy.. I can't recall how I accomplished the last part when I got the game at release. Unfortunately my save was recently deleted when I reformatted my computer, so I too am working on beating this game before Dragon Age 2 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooya View Post
    I can't really give you any suggestions but if your Arcane Warrior is built right I can't see how you can possibly fail.
    It probably isn't. I just kinda went with whatever i felt like at the time lol

Doing some of the optional stuff really helps. What level are you by the way? One thing I did that really helped me was while fighting big packs I always used the different types of bombs that I made from the poison crafting profession in it. Other than that you may want to have an outragously high amount of health potions.
    The dwarven mechant's son is meant to be there, to help supply you before the final boss.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

I'm playing it on Xbox

and my characters are all around lvl 16

Deleted
    Ye Scandal is supposed to be there, giving you the opportunity to stack up on what you might need before the last fight.

As the above poster mentioned, turning down the difficulty can help you if it's too hard. If that isn't an option for you, then you'll just have to practice. A few good advices i can give is to abuse the tactical display to move you characters around while paused, and use the elves (that's what i did anyway) since their range attacks helps a lot.

Oh ok lol, it seemed too sketchy to be on purpose.

And yea, i switched it to casual at the beginning of the final onslought.

Do you think i might be too "mage heavy" with me, wynne and morrigan? I'm an arcane warrior so i thought it would be ok
    Not sure. I built my arcane warrior as a tank, maybe try rebuilding him as a tank? Leave alistair, unless you want him to be there for the sacrifice. Then, I'd say leave morrigan for Oghren, or Sten. When the dragon goes to the part of the tower where you can't hit them, use the ballistas to fire at the dragon, and it should do a lot of damage.

Last resort, stock up on potions from Sandal(that's why he's there )
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

6 deaths isn't too bad. Just keep working at it, play it tactically, make sure you're doing the mechanics right, and if you cant get it, look up some strategies.

Didn't see the ballistas, im off to go try again lol.

Thanks

I did my first playthrough on hard and found it quite easy.
    Had Shale as tank, myself as a melee arcane warrior with more defense than shale, wynne for heal and zevran for damage.

Other than that, craft a bunch of potions, get spirit resistance gear and potions, most of his hardest hitting attacks are spirit damage.
    With a caster group you're off better normally, since they can spread out more and should take far less damage than melees.
    Then summon all the armies you have left row after row. (I hope for you that you upgraded them.. I spent quite a few gold on buying elfroots and donating them)

It probably isn't. I just kinda went with whatever i felt like at the time lol
    They can be absurdly powerful.

Your level seems low. I went into the Arch Demon past level 20. I'd done the majority of content prior to starting the final assault. I'm sure it is doable though.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing it on Xbox

May have found your problem. If you didn't go through and do many of the optional questlines you may be lacking in gear and abilities. I've beat the game twice now, but I had my own character tank the first time, with a healer, Oghren and Morrigan. Second time I was a rogue, with Shale as a the tank (BOSS TANK WITH THE SPIRIT CRYSTAL ARMOR DERP), Wynne and Morrigan. Took me a couple times but I figured it out the first time. Second time I one shot that silly Archdemon. Group composition, gear and the right tactics are definitely key in beating the Archdemon.

Call in your Dwarves or Human soldiers when the Darkspawn start showing up; when they die off, call in your Elves. Make sure you save those catapults until the Archdemon is away from the group. Also, if you have any spirit balms, throw them on when the Archdemon comes back into melee range and what not. Keep your characters healed and make sure your healer drinks lyrium pots when low on mana. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm playing it on Xbox

Your level is probably the reason why. You should do some of the DLC and optional stuff to get up to around 18 or higher if you want to make it easier on yourself. I think I was lvl 18 or 19 on a rogue character when I fought the last boss with Wynne, Morrigan, and Alistar.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm... After reading these comments I feel like I had a much easier time (I was on Normal). My team was Alistair, me (archery Rogue), Wynne, and Morrigan (all level 25) with full armies of Dwarves, Elves, Mages, and Recliffe. I just summoned Dwarves to take care of the adds, and had my team focus on the Archdemon, using Ballistas when necessary, and downed him the first time (with only Alistair dying). Maybe I found it really easy because I had all level 25s, but I thought that enemies scaled with your characters level?
    Quote Originally Posted by sithorion View Post
    brb my lama is eating a kangaroo while my horse is watching it eating my popcorn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Things try to kill you on every content, Australia's things are just better at doing so. x3

I just got him down to 10% health then ran out of potions and died. fml, i'll beat it tomorrow now that i know its do-able

Make sure u have a healer in the party, if not, spend all ur gold in Potions, and set the Tactics menu to your companions to use them when they have 75% health

Here's a list of tips I would recommend (though you don't necessarily have to do them all!)
    Last I checked, Arcane Warriors are the best tanks in the game so see if you can optimize on making yourself tank. If not, just stick with being a regular mage. Blood Mage is the only useful damage specialization anyways, so whichever specialization you picked, you can still hurl fireballs and blizzards around.

Be sure to have Wynne set to heal at about 50% or 75%. Create 3 different heal tactics, one to use a health poultice on herself (since it works well on mages), the second to heal the tank, the third to heal another ally, and put it in that priority order.

Speaking of healing and great Arcane Warrior tanks, Health Poultices are affected by magic which makes it incredibly op on a mage tank.

I also recommend having either Leliana or Zevran with you since the Ballistas do deal great damage on the downside that they sometimes get stuck which requires a rogue to fix it. Leliana would probably be the better choice since she's naturally an archer so she can just stand by the ballista and still shoot arrows.

Don't be shy to friendly fire some of your summoned allies. If there are lots of enemies in an area, use Storm of the Century if you have to. (Although, I often find that overkill and just use Blizzard and Tempest separately since that mostly takes care of the job). Hopefully, both you and Wynne picked up on Blood Mage so you can just use your health to cast those big spells (then turn Blood Magic off and use a Health Poultice. Have I mentioned how op those are on mages?)

Glyph of Repulsion + Paralysis combo provides a good CC, just be sure to not hit anyone in your party.

You can never have too many mages. It's best to alternate what spells your mages use - one can set up Paralysis Explosion while the other begins casting Tempest. Or, one casts (Spell Mighted) Tempest while the other casts (Spell Mighted) Blizzard so you can do Storm of the Century much faster.