Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never turn off my computer. Saving a few bucks on the energy bill isn't worth the unneeded voltage spike/dropon my hardware.

At night before I go to bed.

I just put mine to sleep every time I'm going to be away from it for a while. Come back, click mouse button and it's back up within seconds.

as often as possible.

Sometimes,if i'll be back in 1 hour i leave it on since i have to log into the user and select my operating system when i turn it on(=can't press 1 button and see myself ready)

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    I never turn mine off. On idle my PC averages 60-80 watts from the wall so it's not that much.
    I did that with one computer and within a year the fan died.

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

I leave my old laptop on all the time for torrents and folding @ home.

With my new laptop, I usually send it into sleep when I go to sleep because I don't wait to reload all of the 20+ youtube and 20+ browser tabs when I restart. When I start to see it slouch along, I usually restart it, but by that time it is usually time for my weekly windows updates, so I do those at that time as well
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

the only time i turn it off is when i'm out of the house for more than an hour (work/shoping) but since i'm unemployed its virtualy never off or even on sleep mode. current uptime is 108 hours and i doubt it will be off till next tuesday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aqthedruid View Post
    I did that with one computer and within a year the fan died.
    Oh well, I have tons of replacement fans. Not too stingy about fans considering how cheap they are. Even if I turn off all my fans though, nothing overheats lol.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Usually I turn it off when I go to work around 9:30 am and I turn it back on at 22:00 pm when I get back home.

I run my machines all the time because I use them for folding. You can't fold on a PC that is shut off.

It isn't really going to hurt anything because most PC components are made to take continuous intensive loads. Especially when you get into server hardware which runs high loads at high temperatures all the time. Consumer grade hardware may not be as durable but it has sure come a long way over the years.

...when i don't use it?

Deleted
    Every night if there's no torrents / other downloads running, and if I'm leaving the house and no one is expected to be home within ~5 hours or so, but this also requires there are no downloads of anykind running tho .

unless im adding/changing hardware i never turn it off. last reboot was 5 weeks ago when i installed a new CPU cooler.

I leave mine on overnight, usually because I fall asleep to an iTunes playlist. Generally I turn it off when I'm not home during the day, unless I have a big-ass torrent to download.

I'll bite.

I keep mine on 24/7. The only thing i turn off are my 2 monitors whenever i leave for work/sleep (plus they turn off after 10 mins of no use anyways)

Its on seeding torrents and being used as a media center (able to stream my movies to my xbox 360, TV(hooked up via HDMI to my comp) or other computers in my house)

I usually have an uptime on that machine of 1+ month easily. - it also has a UPC hooked up to it, just in case.

I have been doing this for years and have seen no adverse affects other than a video card blowing up... The fan died, and resistors litterally popped on it (I wasn't there - other people were at my house using it)

Deleted
    I generally turn it off when I intend to afk for longer than 2-3 hours.

out of old habit i turn it of why use energi while your not there and sleep mode anything can go die in a horrible fire all you need is on and off.

Why bother turning it off, takes like 15 seconds to wait for power on later when you have to turn it back on, pffff.

C:\>uptime.exe

uptime 19 days, 06:16:00

=]

I tend to leave my desktop on, and laptops on standby.

Desktop I shut down every night, Server on the other hand I leave up. Why? It's Linux. Windows eats up resources like no tomorrow even on standby, but for a Linux / Unix server, there is nothing really being used up unless it's accessed. My Linux server hasn't rebooted or shut down in close to 5 years. Only time I really shut down is when I have to modify the kernel and it requires a restart. Otherwise no application needs a restart espically if you know BASH and K-Shell.