Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Leveling a DK - Things I should know?

Alright, I'm going to be leveling a Death Knight; I have the Chest, Shoulders, and the Guild EXP buff. Just wondering the estimated time from 58-85? I'm going to be raiding with this toon aswell when it reaches a standard in which it can.

Could someone just inform me of the best leveling spec? (I have Heirloom 1H Sword, but if I did frost I'd need another).

Also, if anyone else could tell me some things I should know when leveling a Death Knight and playing a Death Knight it would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
    Sun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go blood, and don't use an heirloom weapon, or you can't put runes on them.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most important thing you need to know about leveling is -
    You need to gain experience to level up. that's it. Have fun.

Oh and.. I'd prefer a 2h weapon and then go UH or Blood... Instant tank queues ( If you want to run dungeons all the time )

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    its been changed you can now rune heirlooms. OT i would say grab duelspec 2hand frost/blood

Deleted
    level, enjoy and unleash all of your goddamn rune powah!
    -go blood or dual wield frost
    -Set a hearthstone as close as possible to the levelling zone, you can use Gate to train and to vendor stuff.
    -Be prepared for when you pvp randomly, there are a lot of evil words out there which might be used against you
    -Death Grip every single living thing!

at first outland will be a pain in the @**, but when you go to northrend everything will be smooth, and the cata zones will be smooth-er.
    Estimated levelling time between 58-85 = I deed it in approx 2.5-3 days (not non-stop ofc -> Work >.>) 5h average questing/day, here and there some dungeons.
    Last edited by mmoc058e0f1fe5; 2011-03-02 at 12:25 AM.

Most important thing to know about being a DK? Prepare to be hated cause your just so cool (others call it overpowered =P ).

Go 2h unholy and enjoy raping in pve+pvp with a crazy ghoul. Dualspec blood (10g....... QQ) for insta Q's.

read up on the basics, so you dont end up in dungeons DPSing with blood presence and dropping death and decay everywhere and deathgripping mobs off the tank.

there is a VAST difference between good deathknights and bad ones. be a good one and you'll be practicaly unstoppable

I'd recommend dual specing Blood (tank queue) and 2H Frost (Increased run speed + increased mount speed in the standard spec).

Unholy isn't that great for leveling because the pet is such a large portion of your dps yet takes several seconds to become active after dismounting. Usually the mob is half dead before your ghoul even begins attacking so you're basically loosing 25-30% of your dps half of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    the runes while leveling aren't that awesome as the increase isn't as good as the weapon is.

and follow what Wing said as that seemed to work best for me too.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

I've been leveling a new DK lately... Let me tell you this.

Frost SUCKS! until you hit 69. Before that you don't have HB and kill much, much slower. If you go blood sub 70, you can more or less chain run dungeons @ 10% a run doing about 1k dps. With a decent group, each of these runs takes about 10-15 minutes making it well worth it. After 70, Frost has been my choice because of the run speed/mount speed buffs.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just go Blood, you will never die.

i'd take the extra couple days and level something else, eveyone has a dk(easy alt as it starts at 55). pugging a raid, forget about it, you'll never get in as a newer 85. we are the most nerfed and hated class over and over again, which is very demoralizing. i don't want to be negative, but if it was me i'd really like it if someone was honest like i'm being. not good luck go pew pew pow pow etc. also, if your planning on raiding, we are currently last in dps as frost and below avg as unholy, check out stateofdps.com which is an ok site, however, it shows unholy pre-nerf #'s so they are a ton lower now. again, not to be negative, i just want you to know the truth and not roll one because you start at 55. but, im sure you still will as we are all lazy and starting at 55 is nice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    any spec will work. leveling a dk is probably the easiest in the game

Quote Originally Posted by damescool View Post
    i'd take the extra couple days and level something else, eveyone has a dk(easy alt as it starts at 55). pugging a raid, forget about it, you'll never get in as a newer 85. we are the most nerfed and hated class over and over again, which is very demoralizing. i don't want to be negative, but if it was me i'd really like it if someone was honest like i'm being. not good luck go pew pew pow pow etc. also, if your planning on raiding, we are currently last in dps as frost and below avg as unholy, check out stateofdps.com which is an ok site, however, it shows unholy pre-nerf #'s so they are a ton lower now. again, not to be negative, i just want you to know the truth and not roll one because you start at 55. but, im sure you still will as we are all lazy and starting at 55 is nice.

You are incorrect sir! They've filtered out the pre 4.06 numbers. UH DK's are still very viable dps.

loldkbattlerez

User received an infraction for this post. ~Nangz
    Last edited by Nangz; 2011-03-03 at 02:43 AM.

I would level as Blood, still does a good amount of damage and the surviablity is awesome. Though 2h frost gets your around faster, you're able to Lichbourne heal yourself and AoE stuff down (although they nerf HB, so I dunno how powerful it is anymore since I've never tried frost).

go blood, use dps gear until 72ish then start mixing tank gear in.

blood does a lot of dmg and you will never die. when you get rune strike start using blood presence while lvling for super cheap rune strikes any time you want.

for the record, DK tanks are really fucking fun. i love topping the healing and damage meters in heroics

10+ Year Old Account
    all you need to know about leveling a dk is death strike is your best friend

My Deviantart sig by Axa

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    any spec will work. leveling a dk is probably the easiest in the game
    thanks for your lack of useful input Mr. Troll.

of course you can use any spec but the easiest to level with with the least down time is blood in dps gear in UH presence.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE