Lightbulb First time builder - a few questions.

Hello.

I've ordered all the parts for my first time build and got a few rather simple questions:

1. I'm getting a "defect" Sandy Bridge motherboard. Can someone explain me exactly what I need to be careful with? I'm getting a Samsung F3 HDD and some random Sony DVD drive. Are both of these using SATA? And if that's the case, will those 2 parts be the only ones that I can connect without the chance of something "bad" happening? I have an rather old Maxtor SATA HDD (3-4 years old) with lots of files on it that I will need to transfer to my new HDD. Can I do this?

2. I read somewhere that the first time you are turning on your computer after connecting everything that you should start it without the graphics card plugged in. Is this true?

3. Will my Corsair TX650 power supply be enough for a single HD6950 2GB and a i5-2500K CPU?

Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only issue with the "defective" Sandybridge boards is the SATA 3Gbps Ports. So, if you plug your HDD and DVD Drive into the SATA 6Gbps ports there is no issue.

If you bought an Asus board, it has 4 SATA 6Gbps ports and they are all useable. If you're forced to use a SATA 3Gbps port, put the DVD Drive onto it since it is the least active drive.

The 2500K isn't a very high power requiring processor and Corsairs Power Supplies have been known to output more than they're rated for so I don't foresee any problems even if you wanted to get another 6950 for CrossfireX.

Start the PC with the graphics in, it makes no difference if its in or out on first bootup. Since the P67 doesn't have any onboard video you won't be able to see what you're doing
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-03-02 at 01:27 AM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    Hello.

I've ordered all the parts for my first time build and got a few rather simple questions:

1. I'm getting a "defect" Sandy Bridge motherboard. Can someone explain me exactly what I need to be careful with? I'm getting a Samsung F3 HDD and some random Sony DVD drive. Are both of these using SATA? And if that's the case, will those 2 parts be the only ones that I can connect without the chance of something "bad" happening? I have an rather old Maxtor SATA HDD (3-4 years old) with lots of files on it that I will need to transfer to my new HDD. Can I do this?

2. I read somewhere that the first time you are turning on your computer after connecting everything that you should start it without the graphics card plugged in. Is this true?

3. Will my Corsair TX650 power supply be enough for a single HD6950 2GB and a i5-2500K CPU?

Thanks in advance.
    1. The "defect" probably lies in the SATA II ports. If those are your only two SATA devices, put them in the SATA III ports (they'll probably be white) and you shouldn't have any issues. For your Maxtor, I suggest using an external enclosure and doing it via USB or eSATA so you don't fry your other SATA ports. However, I wholeheartedly recommend against it.

2. This is false, no idea where they got this idea. Unless the motherboard has on-board video, you MUST have a video card in there, otherwise you cannot see if it POSTS or not. Also, before you even put the motherboard in the case, you need to see if it posts which means putting in your CPU/heatsink, RAM and video card if needed, hooking it up to power and turning it on. If it goes through POST (will ask for a boot device if it does) then you're in good shape and can do everything else.

3. Yes.

1. The Samsung drive does use SATA, and the DVD drive most likely uses SATA but some still do use the IDE ribbon cable. Basically the problem lies within the SATA revision 2 ports on the motherboard. Depending on what motherboard you ordered you should have anywhere from 2-4 of those. What you can do is plug your devices into the SATA revision 3 ports on the board which again depends on the manufacturer but there should be at least 2 of those while the higher end motherboards have more. Check the documentation online or in the manual to find out which ports are which. You also will be able to transfer files from your old hard drive by plugging it into the SATA ports and just dragging them over to your new drive. However if you have to use the SATA 2 ports to do this you should be fine, but I would unplug the drive after you transfer everything to avoid possible data corruption on that drive.

2. I have never heard about this, and I have build many computers. If you start without the graphics card plugged in you won't get any input on your monitor so I don't understand what possible use that could serve other than wasting time.

3. Yes that should be more than enough to handle that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    Hello.

Thanks in advance.
    1. Just stay away from SATA2 ports and you're good. Even if you use them there's high chance you will not notice anything. You can safely have your MAxtor temporarily in SATA2 port.
    2. No, it's not. It's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while.
    3. Yes.

Yeh, for now it will be fine to use those SATA2 ports to transfer all your files over. The problem with the ports is a degradation problem, which sounds like it would take years before you actually see the effects of them not working to their potential.

Thanks so much for the answers guys