10m Chimaeron - phase 2: Best option?

Yes, we got a late start on raiding.

My guild is currently working on 10m Chimaeron (normal) and having issues, mainly in phase two. It could be a dps issue, but we didn't have an ideal raid comp last night either. Our raid comp is tanks= dk, pally; heals= shammy, pally, hpriest; dps= dk, warlock, moonkin, spriest, spriest (one spriest will be replaced by an enh. shammy tonight).

I've been reading up what I can find on the fight on what other guilds do and saw a few comments about not kiting and just staying still and blasting him down, claiming they lose too much dps by trying to run away.

So, what I want to know is what do you all do in your guilds? Kite, stay still, spread out, or something else all together? Is it worth doing 'delay tactics' such as shadowmelding, leap of faithing the current target, brezzing, fading, etc...?

Thank you for your time.

I think it is definitely worth spreading out, especially for the tanks and ranged. I am the DA tank, so as soon as P2 hits, I run to the opposite corner of the room as the main tank, since as a tank I don't do quite as much as a dps. Have a pally HoP a dps target when chimaeron is running to him, the lock can soul shatter when chimaeron starts coming after him, etc. A lot of those type of tactics don't take much time, but do provide you with more boss time for more people.

If your DK can build up an avoidance set, that can definitely alleviate some of the strain. The time we got the achievement, I (as a DK) tanked him from 19% to 4% mainly with high avoidance. Having a clicky dodge trinket, plus a clicky battlemaster type trinket, can provide some additional time, as can unglyphed vampiric blood. I don't think a pally has any HP increasing abilities, so, he is kinda SoL there.

My guild actually stacks, because we time his transition to happen right after a massacre and stacking = more efficient healing, and more efficient melee dps (Chimaeron has 150% movement speed or something during that phase). Spreading out sounds like it would work perfectly fine though.

And yes, people really need to blow all their survivability cooldowns, every second counts! Anything that lets you tank longer, e.g. mirror images, deterrence, dispersion, and of course things like a glyphed battle res.

I wouldn't Fade though as a shadow priest, unless the shadow priest is better dps than the people below him on the threat table. Just dispersion.

Shadowmeld isn't useful, since in order to dps you'll have to break shadowmeld and regain all aggro.

Spread out, including tanks, the melee dps can stay in. Use survivability things such as deterrence, ice block, etc. Yes kiting loses the raid too much dps.

Pretty much what Aleysia said.

A few recommendations that I can point out, is you want your paladin healer to be healing with Righteous Fury, and save abilities like a warlock's soul shatter, or your two Hand of Salvations to drop DPS threat below that of your healers. Healers getting nommed first means more DPS time on the boss.

-Vin-

We have a warrior tank (me) and a DK in his DPS spec. DK tanks and the boss but the class in tank spec taunt and eats all of the double attacks.
    So DK attacks, other tank (in tank stance) applies debuffs etc then when double attack debuff goes up on Chimaeron, the Tank taunts, as soon as his health drops the DK would taunt back.
    The DK can never die as long as people are spread out from him and he gets over 10k heals after each hit (its like a 4-5 sec swing timer. Warning, the DK needs to make sure he does not use Unholy Frenzy as the damage can kill them when they are reduced to 1 health from his swing.

After about 45 sec the DK can swap to his DPS presence and out of blood presence. The other tank needs to be careful after the DK taunts back after double attack lands so as to not pull threat since he will be in a tanking stance.

For Phase 2, the DK burns all cooldowns while the other tank runs to the other side of the room. When the DK dies, he is battle rezzed and since he is in DPS stance/gear/spec you have 9 dps.

One big thing that also helps is having rogues use evasion to tank and hunters spread to a far side and not to FD until chimaeron gets close to then, not right away. Each second gained before he turns to a new target is helpful on the first kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is how my guild did 10m Chim:

Setup:

Fury Warrior Main Tank
    Protection Warrior off tank

That made 6 DPS and 3 Healers.

Fury tanked the boss in zerker stance, getting tricks from rogues and getting hit or crit down to 1 hitpoint every 5 seconds from the boss' melee swings.

Prot would taunt a second after the boss got the double attack buff and would eat the double attack, healers would make sure that right before he taunted he was topped off. As soon as the double attack happened, Prot would stop all attacks so that Fury regained aggro (tricks are helpful here). As for the stacking mortal strike debuff we were able to heal through it, it really only becomes a challenge at the group up stage, the healers didn't have too much trouble healing the Fury back up to full. Specific for healers, Hpriest focused on tanks, pally on one of the groups and shaman was on the other.

Phase 2 was handled the same way as 25man, focus on dps and keep him running around rather than hitting folks.

This made for a much shorter fight, if I recall correctly we only had 3 group up phases during Phase 1.

If you don't have any rogues or hunters for tricks/mds it might be hard for your non-tank "tank" to get him back. If you have you DK Tank in DPS spec/gear but in Blood Presence, you can have him use DC and DG to get chim back. Once you hit P2 have the DK pop back into UH/Frost and DPS the hell out of him.

Omen works great for P2. Chim will attack someone until they die and go down the aggro table. So, DPS 1 is 2nd on the list, have that DPS move as far from Chim as possible. That makes Chim have to move longer, keeping more DPS up. Also, in P2, use your battle rez on a DPS. Not a healer or Tank.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-03-02 at 07:45 PM.

Typically we just have out MT eat it until he dies, then myself usually being 2nd on threat below him, pop evasion. If I get hit or it runs out I then vanish, by then he's usually almost dead, but we also have backups like our hunter feigning death and mage iceblock.

So yes, in other words, If you arrange it well kiting and juggling defensive cooldowns makes this phase exceedingly easy.

Thanks for your replies. So, from the different responses, I gather it's better to spread out instead of kite, and use threat reducing abilites when you get near the top of the threat meter, plus use other abilities to keep him running instead of attacking such as death grip (tank only since he has less dps), and leap of faith as well as the dps who is second on the threat meter runs as far away as possible (wait, will that lose dps? That person might lose dps but the rest of the raid will have extra dps time. But what if it's down to about two or three people, is it worth moving away or just standing still trying to get out as much dps as possible?). We don't have a rogue, hunter, or mage to completely drop threat, but we could use a battle rez, ss, or self rez.

If you have mostly ranged dps it's best to spread them out as much as possible in phase 2 and just nuke him down as much as possible while having players use abilities to prevent dying. Such as fading, ice blocking/invising, blood stance, paly bubble, and a great one is having your lock put a port on one side of the room while running to the other side in phase 2 and porting once he gets to him to buy a few more seconds.

Also priest wings can give you an extra hit on a tank to buy you 5-10 seconds so try to save it for phase 2. It's a bit difficult to time but doing so last night got us the achievement of only letting two people die for instance.

Death grip wont do anything in the burn phase - the mortality debuff he gets makes him immune to taunt effects.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spread out and stand still and focus him. He'll move to each person and you will lose the person but you won't drop DPS until they die. Which is what you'll be doing if they try to kite him so whats the point? It's a DPS race and he's faster than you.

Have your Pally's use LoH on both tanks just as the phase transitions so they both start the phase @ full health to take him. Use wings on MT when he's about to die, to get him back to 50% health, when he's down and your OT is taking the slapping from full health have him use his Argent Defender and this should stall him a good 15-20s for everyone including your healers to DPS. Then it's just hope you have the DPS requirement to match his health and each member should use there survival CD when the tanks are down and he turns towards them. Obviously not all at the same time =P

We have the following:

Tanks:
    Warr
    Pally

Heals:
    Shammy
    Pally - Tank healer
    Druid

DPS:
    Mage
    Rogue
    Enh Shammy
    Lock
    Shad Priest

Mages and Rogues get an aggro dump, pop it at 21%. This ensures you will be the last to die, the boss will run around to everyone higher than you and eat their face.

Two tanks spread out, about 60 yards apart (almost to the corners of the room), they don't do any good DPS anyway and will have the highest threat. With solid avoidance and a few cooldowns they can usually live thru the first 6-8% of phase 2. The extra time the boss takes to run between them is a bonus. Everyone else maintains their phase 1 positions more or less, and DPS's the hell out of him.

Any class with a sprint (or engineering belt) is viable to kite him to an empty corner as he targets you (those extra 10 seconds he chases you is actually well worth it if you'd just have died anyway, especially if you have dots that keep ticking for that time, or can jump/spin and cast instants.

Rogues are great with evasion/sprint and mages with mirror images buy you a stack of time too.

If you're a class without a movement boost then trying to kite him is pointless and you are just wasting DPS time, stand and fight, die proudly

As far as I can tell power word: shield works normally in the final phase and is not effected by the 99% reduction to healing. While a single bubble isn't fantastic I've found in both normal and heroic mode that with Strength of soul you can usually keep up a single target for quite a while.

While they usually say healers should DPS I propose instead that disc priests do a rotation of: shield, heal, heal, shield.
    The heals don't actually "heal" per say but they do reduce the weakened soul debuff so that you can shield again. Flash heal is quicker but I find that I normally can't spare the mana for it by that point.

While Circle of Healing is great for helping to pick up the people below 10k if you're doing a 10 man a properly timed (and a little lucky) Prayer of Healing can do the trick on half the raid and penance is a pretty reliable and quick way to pick up somebody who is below as well.

I'm highly dubious of claims that spreading out helps; the boss' swing timer is 5 seconds, so you have to make him move for more than that to get any benefit out of spreading, and the room just isn't that big. I'd recommend staying stacked, using your raid CDs as appropriate, and focusing on maximizing DPS and tank survivability through a proper CD rotation.

My group usually kite Chimearon and being a pally i try to run to each corner of the room and survive as much as possible. Pop all defensive CD's at that point. Ardent Defender anything to survive so dps can do more dmg on the boss.

Don't over think it!

As long as you're finishing phase 1 with no deaths, it's just a straight DPS zerg. Just burn, burn, burn, burn, burn! Anything more than using cooldowns on the tanks to keep them up through 1-2 more hits is just wasted effort.

Deleted
    we usually take 2 normal tanks and with all the avoidance and cooldowns they have, we never actually had problems in P2.
    it is rare that both die, but dont remmember the boss killing DPSers. Think we always get the achieve.
    As a DK tank i usually survive all the P2, just by popping all the cooldowns i can, 1 after another and properly getting rid of the break debuff.
    Last we we had really really bad timing and got P2 right after/during a massacre (everyone started P2 with 1 hp) and we still killed it with only 2 dead (the tanks). Just save your avoidance cooldowns above everything as well as any shields you have. If the 1st dps on threat is a rogue, then GG!

Not sure if this helps you but its how we do it. 2 proper tanks properly using cooldowns on P2 are very hard to kill. Also make sure you top them up before P2.

If you still have problems, try helping out by letting healers die before dpsers. holy pallies and resto druids can taunt just before P2 to go high on threat and get taunted back by tanks (the 4 sec swing helps alot here) and use cooldowns after (or even before) the tanks die... and give all your dps a few more secs. Also most dpsers can lower their threat below healers...