Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Amps x Volts = Watts?

So, I'm planning to upgrade from my ATI HD Radeon 5570 Graphics Card and I have a question regarding my PSU.

I heard that Amps x Volts = Watts, so I was wondering if this is true?

The closest information I can find about my PSU is "10A 250V~ so would I be right assuming its 2500 Watts or am I a complete fool?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

deff not right lol....most current PSUs are in the 500-700 range....not saying there aren't thpse over that but 2500 is no where near what u have im sure

it should say right on the power supply what the wattage is

Deleted
    P=U*I
    P: Power. Usually in Watts in electronics
    U: Voltage.. in Volt
    I: Current in Ampere
    So yes
    Ampere*Volt=Watts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VelakA View Post
    So, I'm planning to upgrade from my ATI HD Radeon 5570 Graphics Card and I have a question regarding my PSU.

The closest information I can find about my PSU is "10A 250V~ so would I be right assuming its 2500 Watts or am I a complete fool?

No offense, but I lol'd hardcore.
    The max you'll ever need is like 800 and that'd be getting into 2+ GPU's.

Yours is probably like 450W.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-03-02 at 10:14 PM.

do u know the make and model? if u do im sure google knows the answer

Well, what you written is right but pretty simple and may not paint the whole picture. A PSU has 1 input(240v), but has couple outputs. 3v, 5v, and 12v rails. So depending on what voltage the graphic card use, the psu may not be powerfull enough depending on the load the card produce. The 10 amps you read mean the total current the PSU can succesfully feed before acting weirdly.

There's more to it but the language barrier is getting to me, hth
    Last edited by poir; 2011-03-02 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    No offense, but I lol'd hardcore.
    The max you'll ever need is like 800 and that'd be getting into 2+ GPU's.
    sorry,but your comment made me LOL as well.............Im running an eVGA SR2 build,and 800 watts is nowhere near enough to feed my rig.

The thing what you found about it is the maximum input power it can take without getting burned. It's nowhere near it's output power. The voltage inside of the PC is max 12 volts.. It would catch fire if you would let 220 V go through it

10+ Year Old Account
    you sure the thing was in amperes? it was possible it was milliAmps, or another prefix before it. I really have no idea how many watts my card uses, but as someone above said 220v would fry your computer, so yah, i dont think it uses 2.5k watts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellytm3 View Post
    sorry,but your comment made me LOL as well.............Im running an eVGA SR2 build,and 800 watts is nowhere near enough to feed my rig.
    Congratulations, you have a rare build with two Processors. Not many people will ever build using an SR-2 and Xeon's.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Amps on your 12V Rail multiply by 12 = roughly your PSU wattage

10+ Year Old Account
    Norway, way way way way way way way way north.
    He's just jelly of rigs like yours, but im jelly too
    Death Knight Main
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Dictonary, get one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Protqt View Post
    I click
    I keyboard turn
    I never go LoS

Oh, did I forget to say that I got glad as LSD?

Quote Originally Posted by VelakA View Post

.... That's the input power, or what some houses have in their power grid, although usually tend to have more amp's (15 average around were I live) and around 230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V), then that power is transformed in DC current with lower potential difference (aka voltage), and more amp's... and divided suppressed filtered blah blah what the psu does.
    And after that the output is what you use Ohm's (Ω) law to calculate the power your psu is capable of producing, in a very simplistic way, yes you can use voltage*ampere=Watts, but you use the values that are written usually on one of the sides of the psu, that have stuff like +12V, +3.3V, etc the values that matter are the one in +12V disregard -12V, so for example if you have 12V*50Amp=600W.
    Easiest way, use something like this to calculate how much power you need and then one of the ones from this database, according to what you need.

ED. 230V -10% +6% (i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V) are European standards, US are different.
    Last edited by Enola; 2011-03-02 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theonen View Post
    He's just jelly of rigs like yours, but im jelly too
    Not really, he's running a almost 5ghz processor with 8 cores. He isn't very jealous at all.
    On topic, if you have a Radeon 5570, you are running a 400 or more watt power supply, the 5570 requires at least that to operate according to AMD/ATI.

I run a Radeon 5870, which requires a 500w power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. This is probably the first card in line thats really worth upgrading to from the 5570, so you'll need a beefier power supply. Anything less than the 5870 won't be worth the money to only get a slight upgrade.
    Last edited by FattyXP; 2011-03-02 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    Not really, he's running a almost 5ghz processor with 8 cores. He isn't very jealous at all.
    12 physical cores
    Last edited by Kellytm3; 2011-03-02 at 10:48 PM.

12 physical cores
    ATM that much power is completely useless, or at least for wow(which can only run on 3 physical processors). Anything short of running a very busy SQL database wouldn't even come close to using that much processing power, especially games.
    I'm more jealous of your electric bill, must be insane with the 1200w minimum power requirement for the SR-2.
    Last edited by FattyXP; 2011-03-02 at 11:08 PM.

the most wattage you can pull from a normal US 110v wall socket is 1400-1500 watts the biggest single plug power supply you can buy is 1500 watts and in most homes it wont even supply that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Senicide View Post
    the most wattage you can pull from a normal US 110v wall socket is 1400-1500 watts the biggest single plug power supply you can buy is 1500 watts and in most homes it wont even supply that much.
    and in most temperature situations it won't, even if your house supplies enough voltage. Like most everything to do with computers they lie a lot about power output on PSU's, with the max output being in PERFECT operating conditions. Condititions 99% of homes and computer cases don't/can't provide.

10+ Year Old Account
    On topic, if you have a Radeon 5570, you are running a 400 or more watt power supply, the 5570 requires at least that to operate according to AMD/ATI.

I run a Radeon 5870, which requires a 500w power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. This is probably the first card in line thats really worth upgrading to from the 5570, so you'll need a beefier power supply. Anything less than the 5870 won't be worth the money to only get a slight upgrade.
    Definitely not jealous. Thanks FattyXP Truthfully if I felt I needed an EVGA SR-2 and Xeon X5680's I'd have it but being a 4.8-5GHz Quad Core with HT is enough for what I do I have no reason to be jealous. The only real reason I'd see a need for an EVGA SR-2 would be for Folding@Home haha but that's just my opinion.

On a side note, the 5570 uses like 30-40 watts tops and shouldn't have any issues unless you run a 150 or 200 watt OEM PSU.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    ATM that much power is completely useless, or at least for wow(which can only run on 3 physical processors). Anything short of running a very busy SQL database wouldn't even come close to using that much processing power, especially games.
    I'm more jealous of your electric bill, must be insane with the 1200w minimum power requirement for the SR-2.
    I do alot of Auto CAD,and I do "Folding at Home"with it as well as do some gaming on it.Mainly,Im in the 1% die hard overclockers out there.It runs 24/7 and it tacked on an extra on average,$45 on my electric bill,and once summer it will be even more.