Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Copying Wow folder to friends computer

Hey guys
    Is there a way to transfer my wow folder directly to my friends computer without first transferring it to an external harddrive then to his?
    Im running windows 7 ultimate 32bit if that helps.

how are you trying to transfer it?

Deleted
    Well how good is connection between both of you ? Programms like Radmin/Teamview could make it possible or just rar your wow folder and send it over to your friend with any programm like skype/icq/etc

Well he's going to bring his laptop over to get the folder off me but I dont particularly want to move the folder to my external harddrive then transfer it to his computer. Is there a quicker way?

Deleted
    Ah if thats so , search how to make a 'homegroup' in your home network and just 'share' wow folder.

Alright I'll give that a shot thanks a heap

Deleted
    Two ways:

1) Both computers have possibility of Wireless = create a wireless network, connect both computers to it, make sure they are in the same workgroup (right click my computer, properties, rename if different, i prefer naming it "MSHOME" without quotation marks). Then you can go to "network and sharing centre" or whatever is the equivalent in your operating system, and search for computers in your workgroup. Make the WoW folder available for sharing, and copy it. Im sure you can find a better manual on how to do this via googling.
    2) If no wireless, get a LAN cable, make sure both computers have ports and connect them through the cable. Then create a LAN network and do pretty much the same as Ive described above with wireless.

oh snap I did not think about that chainik.. i was learning about tcp/ip packets and connecting comps up to each other today and i failed to think of this... thanks for that

Deleted
    No problems, bro, hopefully it works out! I actually registered to try and help you because Ive had a lot of problems with copying games from friends at school ages ago, since noone had harddrives =( therefore we worked out these two methods. Those are quite buggy, though, and sometimes the computers cant see each other, sometimes the folder cannot be seen, but lets hope you get lucky =)

Much appreciated

A wired connection compared to a wireless will be MUCH faster. Any router will do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by raven1245 View Post
    A wired connection compared to a wireless will be MUCH faster. Any router will do.
    First of all, dont really need a router if you have a LAN ethernet cable. Otherwise router, of course, is helpful.
    Secondly, a wireless connection within the same room under perfect conditions is 54mbps, therefore pretty much the same as a wired connection.

GStar, please update on your progress, Im interested what you are gonna do. You are probably going to end up using a hard drive =P

Quote Originally Posted by Chainik View Post
    First of all, dont really need a router if you have a LAN ethernet cable. Otherwise router, of course, is helpful.
    Secondly, a wireless connection within the same room under perfect conditions is 54mbps, therefore pretty much the same as a wired connection.
    Yes, this is true. You don't need a router. BUT if you are going to be using a cable connecting one computer from another, a simple "straight" ethernet cable will not work. The computers will not recognize one another. To do this from one computer to another so they can see eachother, one would need what is called a "crossover" cable. unless you have had a computer networking class in your past, most normal people haven't even heard of those. I would suggest the homegroup and then hooking them up through a 10/100/1000 router if you have one, each computer having their own ethernet cable hooked through the router.

PS - I'm an IT guy, so trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Aldiron View Post
    PS - I'm an IT guy, so trust me
    Famous last words...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldiron View Post
    Yes, this is true. You don't need a router. BUT if you are going to be using a cable connecting one computer from another, a simple "straight" ethernet cable will not work. The computers will not recognize one another. To do this from one computer to another so they can see eachother, one would need what is called a "crossover" cable. unless you have had a computer networking class in your past, most normal people haven't even heard of those.
    Most NICs today are smart enough to detect if they need to operate on crossover or straight cable mode, and can change it without any user interaction, and even older models can be configured into crossover mode manually from the NIC config under control panel of Windows.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I'd recommend for your friend to delete the Config.wtf file in the WoW Directory -> WTF folder after transferring.
    I had some issues when I transferred my wow directory from my desktop to my old laptop, which turned out to be caused by the config.wtf (got fixed after deleting it - wow automatically rebuilds it).
    I believe it was mainly caused by the Config.wtf trying to force a higher resolution and refresh rate than my laptop could handle and going from an 8-core i7 to a mere dualcore.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way I know to transfer files between two working computers. USB to USB Sharing Cable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainik View Post

GStar, please update on your progress, Im interested what you are gonna do. You are probably going to end up using a hard drive =P
    If your wired speed on your LAN is less than 60 Mbps, there's something very wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait is he trying to transfer a 24 gig file via skype?!

Assuming you are trying to create a LAN between 2 Windows 7 systems and just want to copy the game from one to the next.

Turn on Network Discovery, Turn on File and printer sharing. Public Folder Sharing is optional.

Turn off Password Protection Sharing.

Right click your WoW folder (or any other folder you want to share) click properties, click on the sharing tab, click share and add everyone, by typing everyone in the text box. Save the settings. What you see should be like the pictures below and above.

You can either have your friend type the network path in the run/search bar on your start menu for example - \\User-Pc\WoW\ is the network path in the above screen-shot. Or you can have him access the computer through your network sharing center.

I hope this info has been helpful and not misleading.

Woah thanks guys for more info. friend didnt end up coming over so no progress.

@aldiron a normal cable should be sufficient for each computer to pick each other up (learning networking in class atm crossover switches packets tcp/ip that jazz)

I've set up homegroup up and sharing and that seems like the most logical and easiest way for now. I've transferred small files in the past via that but not too sure about my 25gb wow folder.

I'll update this page when I do this and we'll see how it goes. I'm going to try every way just for the sake of it and post info about it if i can