Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    I main a Demo Lock, but when I play my Prot Paladin, I can't help but adopt a completely different personality and play style. When I'm on my Paladin, I become very proud. Even when my Pally first hit max level early WotLK, I felt as if I was able to make a huge difference in anything I participated in.

I keep my pride to myself, though, I never be "that guy" and inform everyone about how highly I think of myself. I never even point out peoples' flaws unless they are truly group-breaking. One of my favorite things about being a Prot Paladin is our ability to make up for peoples' shortcomings:

Poor DPS? That's okay, I do enough to make up for it.
    Too much threat? That's okay, I'll Hand of Salvation you.
    Stood in that thing? That's okay, I'll Hand of Freedom you.
    Attacking the wrong target? That's okay, I can tab and taunt.
    Body pulled? That's okay, I'll Righteous Defense you.
    About to get cleaved? That's okay, I'll Hand of Protection you.
    About to die? That's okay, I'll Lay on Hands you.
    Standing in fire? That's okay, I'll Hand of Sacrifice you. (But seriously, move.)
    Healer running low on mana? That's okay, I'll Word of Glory our friends.
    Healer's dead? That's okay, I'll keep myself alive with Word of Glory and proper Cooldowns management.
    Healer can't dispel that? That's okay, I'll toss you a Cleanse.

But it is not merely having the ability to do so that makes me so proud, it's actually doing so. I've seen just about every piece of content from the past two years from every perspective--tank, healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS--and have seen so many tanks who only tank. Anyone can do a simple rotation and hold aggro, but it takes a real tank to truly become a credit to their team.

But nobody likes an elitist jerk. So we do our job quietly, and feel good that we made things just a bit easier and more fun for our friends, family, and complete strangers.

To all the 'real' tanks out there, let's raise a glass to one-another. Let's be proud in this thread and give ourselves and each other a much deserved pat on the back, because we've earned it.
    Do you ever feel that by playing with this philosophy, you are inhibiting the growth of players?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleavesworth View Post
    Pallys, the Charlie Sheen of WoW.

Always winning.
    Were Warlocks, can't stop us.

Always winning.
    I'm glad to have multiple personalities, if i didn't i would be talking to myself, and that's just insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish more tanks were like you OP.

/cheers

You actually make me WANT to make a tank...(healer here. Have a priest, shaman and druid for heals...)

10+ Year Old Account
    *raises glass*

well said, DeanyKong

I started reading and came to this part

I keep my pride to myself, though, I never be "that guy" and inform everyone about how highly I think of myself.
    The whole OP is you contradicting yourself. Not that its important because you can post what you want. Just made me lol, thats all.

you a warrior or druid tank? np ill feed on your tears U_U

I main a Demo Lock, but when I play my Prot Paladin, I can't help but adopt a completely different personality and play style. When I'm on my Paladin, I become very proud. Even when my Pally first hit max level early WotLK, I felt as if I was able to make a huge difference in anything I participated in.

I keep my pride to myself, though, I never be "that guy" and inform everyone about how highly I think of myself. I never even point out peoples' flaws unless they are truly group-breaking. One of my favorite things about being a Prot Paladin is our ability to make up for peoples' shortcomings:

Poor DPS? That's okay, I do enough to make up for it.
    Too much threat? That's okay, I'll Hand of Salvation you.
    Stood in that thing? That's okay, I'll Hand of Freedom you.
    Attacking the wrong target? That's okay, I can tab and taunt.
    Body pulled? That's okay, I'll Righteous Defense you.
    About to get cleaved? That's okay, I'll Hand of Protection you.
    About to die? That's okay, I'll Lay on Hands you.
    Standing in fire? That's okay, I'll Hand of Sacrifice you. (But seriously, move.)
    Healer running low on mana? That's okay, I'll Word of Glory our friends.
    Healer's dead? That's okay, I'll keep myself alive with Word of Glory and proper Cooldowns management.
    Healer can't dispel that? That's okay, I'll toss you a Cleanse.

But it is not merely having the ability to do so that makes me so proud, it's actually doing so. I've seen just about every piece of content from the past two years from every perspective--tank, healer, ranged DPS, melee DPS--and have seen so many tanks who only tank. Anyone can do a simple rotation and hold aggro, but it takes a real tank to truly become a credit to their team.

But nobody likes an elitist jerk. So we do our job quietly, and feel good that we made things just a bit easier and more fun for our friends, family, and complete strangers.

To all the 'real' tanks out there, let's raise a glass to one-another. Let's be proud in this thread and give ourselves and each other a much deserved pat on the back, because we've earned it.
    Trouble?! Thats okay, I'm... a PALADIN! /queue cool music and background effects

This thread should have been renamed "Prot paladin making you jealous with utility"

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothe View Post
    I'm a feral tank.

Poor DPS? That's okay, I'll yell at you on vent.
    Too much threat? That's okay, some of my nerfs were slightly reverted.
    Stood in that thing? That's okay, I'll move the mob so you know to move.
    Attacking the wrong target? That's okay, you will die soon.
    Body pulled? That's okay, I'll make loud noises.
    About to get cleaved? That's okay, the healers got you.
    About to die? That's okay, I might be able to bres you afterwards.
    Standing in fire? That's okay, fire is pretty.
    Healer running low on mana? That's okay, I'll pull out my trinkets. Which trinkets? The ones that say Dodgin' Mofo on 'em.
    Healer's dead? That's okay, we have 20 seconds left to live GOGOGOGOG.
    Healer can't dispel that? That's okay, pie > cake.

Cheers to my fellow tanks!
    Hahaha! Had a proper laugh with this one XD
    And yes guys, cheers! Hope to run in some of you some day

prot war

Poor DPS? i got a shield and plate...i can hold out till enrage timers or healers mana.
    Too much threat? i guess i can tab-taunt for ya.
    Stood in that thing? FINE ill move the mobs for you.
    Attacking the wrong target? go go shockwave>tab-shield slam.
    Body pulled? charge>tclap.
    About to get cleaved? FINE ill move the mobs AGAIN.
    About to die? i guess i can intervene you...but you only have about 3 more seconds to figure something out.
    Standing in fire? FINE!! YET AGAIN ill move th....ya know what no, just no your dying this time.
    Healer running low on mana? go go shiled wall, last stand, enraged regen, trinkets.
    Healer's dead? time to watch a real warrior kite-stun like a mofo....and pick up your dps.
    Healer can't dispel that? well that sucks huh....

10+ Year Old Account
    but you're not really helping bad players learn anything, if they're standing in fire let them die, focusing the wrong target let them die. If you keep coddling the baddies they will just keep being bad because they will get the idea that it's the tanks job to pick up their slack while they mindlessly cycle through their dps rotations.

The difference between a good dps and a great dps isn't numbers it's situational awareness and ability knowledge.

Deleted
    Cheers. I'm kinda sick of the people constantly repeating the mantra "Healer dies, tank's fault. Tank dies, healer's fault. DPS dies, their fault." The only thing it does is give an excuse for people to suck at tanking and pretend like they're blameless all the time. I'm the tank, my job is to keep stuff off the group and survive no matter what.

Coming from someone who's experienced tanking, healing, ranged and melee DPS in his time.

Deleted
    /raise glass.

Cool thread. Here's to using our many utilities to compensate for the stupid that plagues our PuGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderhuge View Post
    After tanking so many pugs, you tend to become slightly twisted when it comes to tanking heroics...

Poor DPS? I hope you die.
    Too much threat? You're dead.
    Stood in that thing? You're dead.
    Attacking the wrong target? You're dead.
    Body pulled? You're dead.
    About to get cleaved? You're dead.
    About to die? You're dead.
    Standing in fire? You're dead.
    Healer running low on mana? You're dead.
    Healer's dead? You're dead.
    Healer can't dispel that? You're dead.

I realize my approach is somewhat cynical, but people in PUGs can take a nasty toll on your way of thinking. GC told me that if a DPS dies it's probably their own fault - so I like to think I'm following the designers' wishes.
    I'm at this point as well... then again, I also raided in vanilla where there were 40 people and no pretty symbols to mark what to hit.

Default bind: f -> target of target. Friend of DPS everywhere.

how dare those druids not shift out to heal/cleanse/brez and those shamefull warriors not utalizing all their useful healin.....oh well their cleans....oh or their dispel....wtf why do people play these? ahh thats right cause we can take and avoid waaayy more dam....WHAT?!?!?! come on!

---------- Post added 2011-03-03 at 04:19 PM ----------

I'm a feral tank.

Poor DPS? That's okay, I'll yell at you on vent.
    Too much threat? That's okay, some of my nerfs were slightly reverted.
    Stood in that thing? That's okay, I'll move the mob so you know to move.
    Body pulled? That's okay, I'll make loud noises.
    About to die? That's okay, I might be able to bres you afterwards.
    Standing in fire? That's okay, fire is pretty.
    Healer running low on mana? That's okay, I'll pull out my trinkets. Which trinkets? The ones that say Dodgin' Mofo on 'em.
    Healer's dead? That's okay, we have 20 seconds left to live GOGOGOGOG.
    Healer can't dispel that? That's okay, pie > cake.

Cheers to my fellow tanks!
    made me lol so hard.

EDIT: im not flaming anyone just thought id throw that out there, im just jealous of all the pally utility as a tank =(
    Last edited by Desminn; 2011-03-03 at 10:21 PM.

I had lots of toons, but I loved my Prot Pally most. I stopped playing a couple of weeks back because I was tired of carrying retards who think they get as far as they do because they're good and then give you attitude. The hard work often goes unnoticed and unappreciated.

Warrior Tank

Poor DPS? That's okay, oh wait no it's not.
    Too much threat? That's okay I'll let you die.
    Stood in that thing? That's okay, I'll let you die.
    Attacking the wrong target? That's okay, I'll let you die.
    Body pulled? That's okay, I'll try to get them back on me, have fun with me being rageless though.
    About to get cleaved? Move behind the boss..
    About to die? That's okay, oh wait, healer's fault.never mine.
    Standing in fire? That's okay, fire gives haste.
    Healer's rolling low on mana? That's ok I can pop CDs.
    Healer's dead? That's okay, rotating CDs efficiently trying to find adds so I can victory rush!
    Healer can't dispel that? Oh look neither can I.

The only one's I can really understand are bolded, I mean seriously. If you're pulling low dps l2p, there are plenty of sites to help you out. If you stand in fire or are attacking wrong target l2p, it's not that hard to focus fire/realize you're taking insane damage. If you're pulling too much threat just stop attacking, tanks need vengeance before their threat picks up. Body pulling really depends, if it's an accident I'll try my best to get them off of you, but it will be hard as hell since everyone is going balls on the wall while I have no rage/vengeance. If it's on-purpose I will let you die, if you're going to be stupid just die.
    My sig was stolen, if you find it please contact me. Thanks.

+5 internets

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone can do a simple rotation and hold aggro, but it takes a real tank to truly become a credit to their team.
    First of, Thanks for being an awesome tank, good to know there's others out there!

And the above line goes for anything in this game.. You might be able to top 30K dps, but it's no good if you got no idea how to avoid stuff that kills you. A dead dps means no dps.

It's so very true.
    Sometimes I will log out in Roleplaying gear, so if my stats in the image below, seem ridicoulously low, then that's probably the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    this banhammers gonna hit harder than puberty will hit justin bieber

@ the op, thats not just being a good tank, but a good player, most clases have a few moves to help their group in MANY ways other then just do dps, a few examples are interrupts, dispells, stuns, proper usage of knockbacks, etc..

the big fire caster mobs at the start of HoO are the best way to know if a given mage is any good player at all for example, because by just using a spell they are getting a dps boost aswell as reducing damage taken by the party, yet i havent gotten any pug mage to use spellsteal on them when i tank on my paladin