After a new graphics card for light gaming

SO yeah, I have had this PC for 2 years or so now, I bought it off Dell, a dual core 3.0 GHZ processor, 4 GB of DDR2 ram with a Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB ram graphics card.

Last week the power supply went on it and I took it to get fixed, got it back and a few days after I noticed 5 thicks lines appear on the screen, indicating the graphics card has gone. We ran it off the onboard graphics card and lo and behold the lines went. So we have took the computer back the shop and they agreed we need a new card.

I want one that will play the likes of WoW and Mass Effect 2 on maximum settings to a reasonable rate and won't be too bottle necked by the system. Probably on par or slightly better than my 9800 GT 512 MB that I previously had, don't really want to spend upwards of £100 and would prefer a good, reliable card.

A ati radeon hd5770 is a pretty good. I have one and can run WoW on high setting with 80+ fps. They run about $120 US but ti is well worth it. Also make sure your psu can handle it

Quote Originally Posted by ednerr View Post
    A ati radeon hd5770 is a pretty good. I have one and can run WoW on high setting with 80+ fps. They run about $120 US but ti is well worth it. Also make sure your psu can handle it
    How will I find this out? They put one in and when I took it back they replaced it with a better PSU so I would hope it could.

The minimum required psu is a 550 watt for that type of card. Just pop open your computer and take a look at the power supply or ask the shop which type they installed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    How will I find this out? They put one in and when I took it back they replaced it with a better PSU so I would hope it could.
    Minimum power requirement is 450 watts for the 5770. If you had a 9800 GT, I'm pretty sure the 5770 will work just fine.

Well, since your last PSU was crap, what did they replace the old one with? A 5770 uses the same amount of power as a 9800GT, so no issues there if your PSU was good enough to run a 9800GT, it will be fine with a 5770. Anyways, open your case, and look for a sticker on your PSU and tell us what you find. What brand/model/wattage and most importantly how many amps on the 12v rail(s)?
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Well, since your last PSU was crap, what did they replace the old one with? A 5770 uses the same amount of power as a 9800GT, so no issues there if your PSU was good enough to run a 9800GT, it will be fine with a 5770. Anyways, open your case, and look for a sticker on your PSU and tell us what you find. What brand/model/wattage and most importantly how many amps on the 12v rail(s)?
    Unless they changed, Dell uses a proprietary PSU that doesn't conform to the ATX standard. Their rated wattages aren't found to be very accurate, usually their rated amps and voltages are lower than they actually produce. Although typically the 9800gt draws slightly less power, I think it would be safe to say he could run a 5770 as long as he has the appropriate 6 pin connector available.

As discussed in other thread, Dell uses Delta PSUs, which is not a known brand because they do not make PSU for direct sales, however they make all the internal components that quality PSUs use such as Corsair etc use. So indeed Dell PSUs are of quality.
    Last edited by Moropo; 2011-03-03 at 09:30 PM.

do you have a 6pin connector on your PSU ? if Yes ... well then what are you waiting go buy this 5770 now?