Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Can't wait till The Old Republic comes out! XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasyn View Post
    I'm another one in the "more I see, less I like it" crowd.

Concerns:

1 - The animations (not to be confused with overall graphics) are pretty terrible. Anyone defending them need to get their heads examined. If they are still "placeholders" at this point, BioWare is in for trouble. I don't see them improving to the point of being tolerable (for me, ofc). I hope I'm wrong, but it's 2011 and the clunky nonsense in the trailers is unacceptable, even for an MMO.

2 - Huge stories and MMOs do not mix. I'm almost positive the game will be a single-player game with multiplayer elements, not a true MMO.

3 - Group content (from what I've seen) is 'meh' at best. Combat seems pretty slow to me, I don't know that it would keep my attention.

All in all, I've never been impressed with Star Wars games outside the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. I may try to get into beta for this one, just to see what it is like. If it's anything like the abomination that was Galaxies, I'll stay away like it's the plague.

See my post on the last page. Post # 119, page 6. There are plenty of examples there. (If you are gonna knock it, you should do the research)

1: The animations are there. Please provde video to whatever game you are comparing it to. With just saying "they don't look good" you have no basis to argue that point.

2: Not true. Huge stories and MMOs have not mixed YET. Just wait for it. ALL feedback from official posts as well as leaked beta/alpha things have said that the story element in this game adds so much to the gameplay. The quests do not feel grindy. You feel like you have stake in the world. You feel a closeness to your character. etc.

3: They have only showed 2 instances of grouped content. How can you judge it yet? They were early demos and low level. They were very small parts of the grouping and showed 2 waves of mobs.

3a: Combat is fast. I don't know what you are seeing to say it's slow.

4: Did you play Galaxies before Sony got their hands on it and screwed the game up?
    4a: This will not be much like Galaxies tbh.
    4b: There is no beta yet. There is beta/alpha testing that solely tests certain aspects of the game that the devs are focusing on, but that is it.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-03-05 at 05:25 AM.

Nice videos for Tera. Hadn't heard much about it. Will look into it.

The problem with TOR to me has always been the "Star Wars" part. I find the entire universe clunky, emotionless, and uninteresting. The prequel films soured me on the entire universe, and setting it in the distant past can't cover that up.

People always complain that Blizzard is way too easy-going with the lore of the Warcraft universe, but flexible lore is very helpful in an MMO where a million stories are being told at once. An MMO set within such a rigid universe, where Jedis and Siths and Bounty Hunters are expected to look and act a certain way, and you hinder the ability to tell an effective story. For someone who finds Boba Fett to be nothing more than a glorified background character, I couldn't care in the least about playing a character that is his less important third cousin. I'm sure Bioware is a lot more creative and could create a far more interesting "Bounty Hunter," but that's what Star Wars fans expect, and that appears to be what they're giving them.

I have a distant hope that Bioware will create a game that's an effective MMO first, an effective Star Wars game second...but previous experience tells me otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    The problem with TOR to me has always been the "Star Wars" part. I find the entire universe clunky, emotionless, and uninteresting. The prequel films soured me on the entire universe, and setting it in the distant past can't cover that up.

People always complain that Blizzard is way too easy-going with the lore of the Warcraft universe, but flexible lore is very helpful in an MMO where a million stories are being told at once. An MMO set within such a rigid universe, where Jedis and Siths and Bounty Hunters are expected to look and act a certain way, and you hinder the ability to tell an effective story. For someone who finds Boba Fett to be nothing more than a glorified background character, I couldn't care in the least about playing a character that is his less important third cousin. I'm sure Bioware is a lot more creative and could create a far more interesting "Bounty Hunter," but that's what Star Wars fans expect, and that appears to be what they're giving them.

I have a distant hope that Bioware will create a game that's an effective MMO first, an effective Star Wars game second...but previous experience tells me otherwise.
    Only one armor resembles the Fetts that they've shown. Here are a few of the early ones shown:

Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-03-05 at 05:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1:03 to 1:07ish
    Bulletstorm anyone?
    Class looks kinda meh to me, but then again its a trailer, which overglorifies things, if the BH can wreck like it does in the trailer, its a bit op

---------- Post added 2011-03-05 at 05:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    If you were to compare this trailer to any other MMO in history, it would look leagues and bounds ahead. MMOs in general up until now simply looked boring. There's no way in telling how the combat actually plays out until you play it yourself, but people that got to play it at conventions last year say its very polished, and that was a very early build and you can really notice the improvements since then just from watching the progress alone.

PAX East is in a couple days, and TOR is supposed to have a huge booth with a more final version of the game. Expect a bunch of impressions then.
    compare it to WoW cata Trailer, looks leauges behind, not trying to be a wow fanboy, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    1:03 to 1:07ish
    Bulletstorm anyone?
    Class looks kinda meh to me, but then again its a trailer, which overglorifies things, if the BH can wreck like it does in the trailer, its a bit op

---------- Post added 2011-03-05 at 05:39 AM ----------

compare it to WoW cata Trailer, looks leauges behind, not trying to be a wow fanboy, just saying
    WoW Cata Trailer? You mean the cinematic that shows no in-game footage at all, or the in-game trailer that has absolutely no gameplay? The in-game trailer shows nothing but how they added lava to everything.

Are there going to be armor dyes?

That is yet to be known. There has been pictures of the same armor type as different colors, but it could just be a reskin, like most MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdawn View Post
    You can compare these cinematic trailers to the Cata one. The others posted are all ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    You can compare these cinematic trailers to the Cata one. The others posted are all ingame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhJcm-lpjc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77BsaCoOMk
    I still love watching those. Some of the best game cinematics there is. The DC Universe one is also great. Too bad the game is a bad excuse for an MMO. More of a glorified console multiplayer game. Was saddened by it, cause I really looked forward to it.

Tera looks AWFUL. No thanks.

SWTOR for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still love watching those. Some of the best game cinematics there is. The DC Universe one is also great. Too bad the game is a bad excuse for an MMO. More of a glorified console multiplayer game. Was saddened by it, cause I really looked forward to it.
    Same. I watch those 2 videos quite often. And the DCU videos are badass for sure. The game, not much good past level 10 for my own tastes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dont see whats so great about tera anyway, another asian mmo looking like all the other one out there with a great engine maybe but what the requirement exactly? If you need 4 video card to run it, its not really appealing to everyone, right?

I dont really know what you think really look bad in those animation? Ive seen worse, in the mmo we all play right now, if not what the hell are you doing on a wow fan site?

Note: The sith lord in both the cinematic trailer are supposed to be the same if you look at the Deceived novel trailer.
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-03-05 at 06:09 AM.

I wont judge TERA's gameplay from what little we have seen. All I know is that its a korean based game, and they will get the game and all updates months before US/EU. It is also made for koreans in mind obviously. I really don't think their games translate well to us, but I'll still give it the benefit of the doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Note: The sith lord in both the cinematic trailer are supposed to be the same if you look at the Deceived novel trailer.
    And at 0:33 it looks like a glimpse into an ingame cutscene...

15+ Year Old Account
    I wont judge TERA's gameplay from what little we have seen. All I know is that its a korean based game, and they will get the game and all updates months before US/EU. It is also made for koreans in mind obviously. I really don't think their games translate well to us, but I'll still give it the benefit of the doubt.
    Hell im still waiting for Huxley or even Hellgate tokyo :/
    Ive lost my faith in korean compagny since...

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    And at 0:33 it looks like a glimpse into an ingame cutscene...
    could be the next cinematic in the serie or could have been made for that trailer only, it seem pretty simple.

I'm still rolling the Sarlacc Enforcer.

Hell yea!

I love how awesome Troopers look. Holding blasters the size of their whole bodies ftw.