Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiaphasia View Post
    I did-- my character's name is Remiaphasia

---------- Post added 2011-03-03 at 11:45 AM ----------

When I look in my character pane, my chance to miss bossess about skulll level is 3%. When most raiders are content to sit between 5 and 7 percent, I figured that was pretty good.

Also, the armory isn't showing my helm for some reason, and I don't know why >.>

One spirit ring shouldn't cause my dps to drop that drastically, and spirit can also be reforged, so why is it such a bad place holder?

Working on int/hit and int/haste gems and as far as crit go, I've been told that Cata rendered crit useless?
    I think this is where you are missing out. The posts talking about the strength of haste over crit was theory crafting based on all 359 gear, 4pc T11 and working on heroic modes of the current dungeons, and moving into 372 ilvl bis gear.

Someone pointed out your equipped gear level is 335. At that gear level, haste will make you go oom and not help a great deal. And no matter how the gearing looks, crit will always be important to a fire mage, just at 359+ ilvl, a base amount of crit to make fire viable is already on the gear.

Regem Int, Int/Crit, and Int/Hit. Get rid of all haste on reforging, gems and enchants and focus on Int, hit to cap and Crit. In your current gear your DPS will jump dramatically.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought you couldn't take gems out of sockets once you put them there?
    You can put a new one in there, but you will lose the original gem.

Cooties already posted what I was going to say about rotation. Not using impact and getting a good combustion are key here.

Others have given you reforging advice. Remember: Int >>>>> Hit >> Crit ~= Haste > Mastery. For you, I'd say crit is going to be more important than haste for a bit, just don't go below ~550 haste (there's a soft cap somewhere there that you want to break, but I forget the exact number).

Your spec is broken too. Ditch a point in clearcasting in arcane and pick up the 3rd point in piercing ice. Also Burning Soul is way better than improved fireblast.

It is good that you're coming here for help, but you should take the time to read the stickies and do some more research. A lot of these are basic knowledge that's been reiterated a thousand times on these boards.

Are you kidding? You can change your gems anytime you want.

It destroys the old gems but you can regem. Just open the gem interface and put the new one on top of the old one, then hit "Socket". You'll get a warning about destroying the old gems. Hit OK and you're regemmed.

I'm leveling my mage again after kinda ignoring him most of the expansion, so this thread is a great read for what I need to do at 85.

I decided to plug your character into a planner I've used before. I'm still not able to post links so.... go to "www<dot>chardev<dot>org/?profile=65265" This is how I would gem/enchant if I were on your character. Like others have mentioned, you can replace your gems but it will destroy the gems that are currently socketed. If you have a bit of gold to invest you'll notice the difference.

The stats summary using this layout gets you: (I was going to do math to show the differences but your armory didn't show your current helm and I didn't want to do *that* much math)
    INT 4665
    Spell Power 6387
    Haste Rating 641 (5.01%)
    Hit Rating 1647 (17.08%) (8 rating over cap)
    Crit Rating 1189 (14.73%)
    Mastery Rating 794 (12.43)

I checked out your reputations and you have enough rep with Wildhammer to buy the Band of Singing Grass which you can use to replace the spirit ring you have.

Another area you can tweak is your talents. I'd take the points out of Arcane Concentration(-3) and Imp. Fire Blast(-2) and finish off Burning Soul(+2) , Piercing Ice(+1) and also put points into Cauterize(+2). Although Cauterize isn't a DPS boost, you'll actually find it comes in really handy in PvE when either learning encounters or just giving healers breathing room on specific encounters (Chimaeron or the Twilight Council are two good examples). You can check out my primary fire tree for the one I use in pve (Cooties - Tichondrius)

Your glyphs look good, the main difference between my own glyph choice is I opted for Glyph of Polymorph instead of Dragon's Breath for PvE. Just in case my CC target gets a bleed or something cleaved onto it I'm still able to keep it under control (although a lot of times if he's in range to get a DoT it ends up being hopeless for CC). I've found the Poly glyph useful more often than wishing my Dragon's Breath had a shorter cooldown.

Diffrence is that they are raid buffed I'm gonna guess, have the raider come buff you and see how well you do...

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the OP's armory. I found him on the US servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Deleted
    dunno but with your gear you should be able to get 18% crit with molten armor up and 12.75% hast + hitcap.
    Why 12.75% haste? One Dottick more!
    Everything else should be Crit and Hit until you got 17% hit, then stack int + crit!
    I do 15k dps with 350 Itemlvl constant so my gear is not much better than your's. But when you hit these percentages you'll be able to do the same.
    "Rotation" is not really required, I open with LB and cast Pyroblast afterwards, then I do spam Firebolts and activate Flame Orb on CD, recast dots everytime and use Pyroblast procc when rdy ^^
    Combustion is used when ALL Dots (inclusive ignite) are up.
    What Ignite is wayne as long as ignite munching is up because everytime i got a big Pyroblast or Fireball Crit and small Dot Crit comes instant after that. So I just use it more or less when it's up.

Greetz

€: 22k burst should be possible, too. Sometimes with proccluck I got 17 to 18k dps constant but that requires a good portion of proccluck^^
    Or really good Raidbuffs :>

In addition to the spec changes already mentioned, you need to change two of your glyphs. Living Bomb and Frostfire glyphs should be Pyroblast and Fireball. Both of these glyphs increase the critical strike chance of their respective spells by 5%, which will increase the number of hot streaks you get. With mastery being as weak as it is for fire mages at the moment, adding a DoT effect to Frostfire bolt isn't enough of a dps increase to justify using the spell. Living Bomb is the same way; it requires multiple targets for extended periods of time to be worthwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way i do it

is Scorch, LB, FO,fireball spam till you get a Pyro Proc, after pyro procs, make sure LB is up on the target then use Combustion for max damage ( or so i assume)
    my ilvl 332 mage does up to 15k dps using that rotation

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    In addition to the spec changes already mentioned, you need to change two of your glyphs. Living Bomb and Frostfire glyphs should be Pyroblast and Fireball. Both of these glyphs increase the critical strike chance of their respective spells by 5%, which will increase the number of hot streaks you get. With mastery being as weak as it is for fire mages at the moment, adding a DoT effect to Frostfire bolt isn't enough of a dps increase to justify using the spell. Living Bomb is the same way; it requires multiple targets for extended periods of time to be worthwhile.
    I agree with these glyph changes, when I commented on your glyphs earlier you had fireball/pyroblast in place so I guess you must've been experimenting or trying out other options. the crit boost for fireball and pyroblast will get you many more hotstreaks and bigger combustions.

Deleted
    do you use combustion as you should be using it?

Hi, I hope this can help you.

• Download Combustion Helper and in the options change it to show you bars rather than just numbers for the timers:
      curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/combustionhelper.aspx

• Switch out glyph of frostfire for glyph of fireball.

• Drop a point in your Arcane Concentration talent and pick up the last point in Piercing Ice.

• Reforge the mastery on your helm into crit.

• Download either a unit frames addon that shows castbar latency, or get the cast bar addon below:
      curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/castbars.aspx
      The second your cast gets to the red point on the castbar, you want to press a button to start casting your next spell. If pressing an ability doesn't start casting it the second you press it, then you may need to create a macro for all your abilities that goes like such:

/stopcasting
      /cast Fireball [Or whatever spell you want to cast]

• For rotation try this:
      Scorch -> Living Bomb -> Flame Orb -> Fireball [Until proc happens, LB falls off, or CM falls off] -> Combustion (ONLY if Ignite dot, Pyroblast dot, and LB dot are ALL active.)
      Just basically repeat this as necessary, which for the most part means spam fireball unless you have a proc, or your need to refresh CM or LB.
    Last edited by apinksquash; 2011-03-03 at 11:47 PM.

Deleted
    When I look in my character pane, my chance to miss bossess about skulll level is 3%. When most raiders are content to sit between 5 and 7 percent, I figured that was pretty good.

Also, the armory isn't showing my helm for some reason, and I don't know why >.>

One spirit ring shouldn't cause my dps to drop that drastically, and spirit can also be reforged, so why is it such a bad place holder?

Working on int/hit and int/haste gems and as far as crit go, I've been told that Cata rendered crit useless?

Considering that the only stat that trumphs hit (before cap) is intel, you really need to be closer to 17% (16% as draenei obv). I personally have not spoken to any mage that would be content sitting between 5 and 7%, when you have other secondary stats that you can reforge to get closer to the cap.

Yeah spirit is useless, but drops are drops... You're revered with Therazane though, and they have an awesome ring you can buy (Diamant's Ring of Temperance), so no excuse for keeping that spirit ring tbh.

When my mage was in your level of gear (before the patch that gave mana reduction to FB and LB), single target dps could truly be horrendous though, with hs procs far apart. Since it seems you know your rotation, I can only say "get better gear" and really spam your FB key so that you get your casts as close to eachother as possible. Oh, and in case it hasn't been mentioned, don't use FO before you pop Combustion, as it will eat away your big ignite. I'd suggest getting some addon as well to track the size of your ignites (CombustionHelper and MageNuggets do this that I know of), big ignite = big combustion = big dps.

Edit: and just as a side note, I agree with the changes above reg. spec/glyphs. Generally, glyphs should be: fireball, pyro, molten armor. Only one point is really worth it in arcane concentration, so make sure you max out piercing ice in the frost tree. In a raid environment, I would argue that cauterize is much better than improved fire blast as well. I personally raid with this spec http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oohZfchrkbRRssoc:zoc where some points are personal preference, but not much really.
    Last edited by mmoc7967b61548; 2011-03-04 at 02:29 PM.

K honestly ppl anyone that dont beleave they can regem or think 5-7% hit is ok needs to just take a step back and asses there gameplay, and thread will not help them if they have no clue as to simple mechanics to the game.

So just stop...

Please post constructively.
    Last edited by nemex; 2011-03-04 at 07:27 PM.

You seem quite new to wow in general so ill try my best not to skip the more fundamental steps.

Armor: Molten Armor its very rare you will need any mana regen from Mage Armor

Gem choice: Always gem for the greatest increase in DPS possible. This may mean ignoring the bonus as INT 3 or more times greater than any other stat we have.
    For eg the helm you have has a yellow socket and a bonus of 30int. To activate this you need to use a yellow gem (this includes green and orange) so an int/crit, int/haste or int/mastery gem would activate the bonus giving you 50int + 20something
    as an eg of something gemed incorrectly look at your boots. you should place a 40int gem in that socket and ignore the bonus it gives. (yes you can put any type of coloured gem in any coloured socket) the reason for this is that 40int grants a higher dps gain than 30hit/20haste that you have gemed.

Valued stats: the general rule of thumb is that INT is king and the best stat to have. after that we have spellpower (only available with chants weapons and some trinkets) then HIT (get as close to 17% as possible this is important but never sacrifice INT for HIT) next is a bit of a toss up. HASTE and CRIT will swap spots many times as you gear up, and its something you should play with but for the sake of this write up. 35% CRIT is enough to keep Hotstreaks and ignites happy and at that point start working on your HASTE. Last we have MASTERY, its the last on the list as it effects our spells the least. Generally you will reforge MASTERY into HIT
    TLDR, INT >>> HIT > CRIT/HASTE>MASTERY

Spec and Glyph: http://wowtal.com/#k=ewcdAOP.aei.mage.QqhWc This build is the basic starter build it hits all the key talents a raider should have. you have 2 free points for whatever you want. personally i have them in pyromaniac. some put them in Arcane Concentration, but im finding that is no longer needed with the massive drop to fireball mana cost.
    The glyphs i have put up are pritty much all that you need there is one free slot for a Prime glyph and that will be either Glyph of Living Bomb or Glyph of Pyroblast. Im a Pyroblast type of guy as i favour single target DPS, however fights with lots of adds benefit more with Living Bomb Glyphed.

Rotation:
    1. open with a scorch. IMO do this as it puts up a critical mass, its quick and if a tank is trying to pick up aggro its less of a struggle than a pyro
    2. Living bomb, keep this guy up at all times
    3. Flame orb (this POS spell can bug out so make sure you have a clear line of site before casting)
    4. Fireball as filler thats right filler. you want to keep up Critical Mass and LB as much as you can stop Fireball spam when you gain Hotstreak
    5. Cast Pyroblast on Hotstreak proc (hold on to it if Flameorb is still going as to avoid as much ignite munching as possible... (look up ignite munching when you get a chance just remember that its BAD))
    6. Hit Combustion when you get a nice big crit from either Fireball or Pyroblast (try and have LB up as well as the Tick from Pyroblast too if possible) Mods can help with this i suggest combustion helper

Thats about it, the rest is just getting to know your mage and working with its exploits and flaws to your advantage. Move out of fire and while on the move cast scorch. Its free and can be used while moving.

For a more in depth read go to http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t110326-...ge_compendium/ this one thread is more important than the bible

Again, read stickies and he's not new...

You've already made your point two posts up. If people want to help, let them.
    Last edited by nemex; 2011-03-04 at 07:26 PM.

There's a few things that are glaringly wrong from checking your armory:

• You have only 2 points in Piercing Ice. You need 3. No ifs or buts about that. Change that now.
    • Remove those 2 points from improved first blast right now and get 3/3 in Burning Soul.
    • Go with glyph of Fireball instead of Frostfire. Fireball is slightly ahead of frostfire. Start using fireball.
    • You need to get to 16% hit (since you're a draenei and get +1%). Put +50 hit on your boots instead of +50 haste.
    • Get the justice point helm instead of the helm you currently have. Until then reforge the mastery on your helm to crit. +54int gem and +3% critical damage is better than your meta.

Chain massive heroics for some better gear. Switch that EXTREMELY crap spirit ring. Switch those crap bracers. It's pretty obvious to anyone why your DPS is so low. You're about 1% away from being hit capped, your crit is ungodly low, your talents aren't well spent.

Continue getting rep for that neck piece, better helm/shoulder enchants. If you're also very serious about wanting to up your dps you should drop mining and get another profession for stats.

Stop using Impact on Single Target and stop Scorch weaving, unless you somehow go OOM with proper Mana Gem and Evo usage.

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by apinksquash View Post
    /stopcasting
    /cast Fireball [Or whatever spell you want to cast]
    This is not needed anymore since Wrath came out. You can just hit the button once it gets to the latency area and it will queue up the cast.

a raid leader of a PUG group told me my mage pulling 9-10k dps wasnt good enough for BH...i am on darrowmere-US, formerly last in progression (moved up a spot recently).