Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

looking for a laptop?

hey guys im looking for a light weight/small but powerful laptop that can run games like shogun 2 or other demanding games/programs.
    currently i have a satellite pro that is about 17 inches(an absolute monster) that i really cant take to places because of its size and weight.

my friend recommend me ThinkPad but i wanted a second opinion.
    i don't care if it is small or the screen is not that high quality, i just need the system to be great and reliable, il use a docking station when I'm at home gaming :P

so in short i need a small/lightweight laptop that i can carry around easily but it has to be powerfull enough to run games in high quality (I'm tired of medium and low settings)

thanks a lot

10+ Year Old Account
    You're looking for two conflicting specs. Generally speaking, laptops with more power are larger, and built with a larger screen as to accommodate their multimedia purposes more than say a portable work laptop.

Are you that addicted that you must play every where you go?

I don't think you are going to find anything light weight in a laptop, if you are expecting a monster out of it. Considering most high end graphic cards these days are almost as long as the average forearm, and are as thick as 2 decks of cards put together..

And since monster gaming machines require monster cards, monster amounts of ram, there for those things need monster amounts of power and monster amounts of cooling especially in a laptop. I doubt you are going to find anything thin at all.

Now if you are looking for a lap top that can play things at the medium- high effects. Im sure you can find that. But I would never expect a light weight laptop to have the ability to play high end games at ultra with max shadows and etc. until at least a few more years pass.

Deleted
    Check this out; if you have the money I would recommend this, kinda hits all the points you wanted.

its called the "Razer Switchblade" Youtube it; or search on the google wizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Millhouse Manastorm
    lol, no sir, i just want 1 computer that can fulfill whatever i want, i don't have to buy 2 computers, i cant use this laptop for my school work because it is too big and it cant be my desktop(good computer) either because it is a laptop.

alright, so what is the best possible laptop i can get regarding according to my preferences?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palawan View Post
    Check this out; if you have the money I would recommend this, kinda hits all the points you wanted.

The Razer Switchblade is a concept and may never hit the market. Also, from what I've heard and in the videos i've seen, the processor on it is horrid. You can play WoW and the like, but never at high settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    lol, no sir, i just want 1 computer that can fulfill whatever i want, i don't have to buy 2 computers, i cant use this laptop for my school work because it is too big and it cant be my desktop(good computer) either because it is a laptop.

alright, so what is the best possible laptop i can get regarding according to my preferences?
    Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7102
    That might be a little large for you, though.

What's your budget range?
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-03-03 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palawan View Post

Except for two little details...

1) It's concept computer, meaning it might never ship, and more importantly...
    2) It runs on Intel Atom, meaning it's just a glorified netbook and has about as much CPU power as a smartphone.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I was pretty secpitical about the razor switchblade when they got swifty to promote it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millhouse Manastorm View Post
    I was pretty secpitical about the razor switchblade when they got swifty to promote it
    Please quit posting useless shit in this thread, thanks.

Newegg Search Link to 15" Laptops.

Who are you to say whether my statements are useless or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who are you to say whether my statements are useless or not?
    Not once have you posted with ANY relevancy to this man's/woman's question. Now, if you'd like to help him answer his question, I invite you to do so. Otherwise, go elsewhere, as there are people here on this forum who are devoted to the help of people, not tomfoolery and idiocy.

It almost seems as if he's just trying to bump his post count up.

OT: OP, do you have a budget of any sort? It would help narrow selection down if you do.
    You can try looking at places like www.xoticpc.com and www.pctorque.com
    I got my laptop from Xotic, but it's what you might call a Desknote, not fit for what you want, but they do have many models you can look through.

10+ Year Old Account
    my budget cant be more than 3k and does anyone here know about Thinkpads? are they good?

10+ Year Old Account
    my budget cant be more than 3k and does anyone here know about Thinkpads? are they good?
    3k is absurdly high. Personally speaking, I'd get a good desktop for gaming for like 2,000 and a mediocre laptop for whatever else you need to do. (Mobile note-taking, general multimedia presentations, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    3k is absurdly high. Personally speaking, I'd get a good desktop for gaming for like 2,000 and a mediocre laptop for whatever else you need to do. (Mobile note-taking, general multimedia presentations, etc.)
    The smallest laptop you can probably get to run games on high is a 14 or 15 inch.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150-...wconfigure=yes
    Last edited by ayako; 2011-03-04 at 05:49 AM.

lol. That's what I'm trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7102
    That might be a little large for you, though.
    Not only is it large, but it also has horrid specs for gaming (awful CPU, low end GPU).

As already mentioned, the most portable gaming notebooks are 15" models, you might be lucky to get a decent 14" one, but it's going to limit your choices a lot and the 1" difference is not worth it.

Check out:
    http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dis...oduct_id=30027
    460m and sandy bridge will take care of your needs, but do not expect to get good battery life, especially while gaming.

Oh and to answer your original question about think pads... From the trend I have seen on newegg, they are terrible. The ones with gaming hardware are terribly overpriced and they are the same size as all other gaming notebooks (15" or higher) and the more portable ones (12-14") have low end (gaming) hardware.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

10+ Year Old Account
    hm...about the battery will it last longer if i use a docking station when i get back home? i might just take the other suggestion another user suggested, i would get a desktop for my gaming needs and a notepad with a great battery for my school needs.

i originally wanted a super laptop because i though it would be cheaper if i do and it seems this is not the case.
    so whats the cheapest and most efficient desktop and the most battery friendly note book can i get?

my budget is anywhere between 1.5k to 2.5k
    thanks everyone.

hm...about the battery will it last longer if i use a docking station when i get back home? i might just take the other suggestion another user suggested, i would get a desktop for my gaming needs and a notepad with a great battery for my school needs.

i originally wanted a super laptop because i though it would be cheaper if i do and it seems this is not the case.
    so whats the cheapest and most efficient desktop and the most battery friendly note book can i get?

my budget is anywhere between 1.5k to 2.5k
    thanks everyone.
    The most battery friendly notebook is a mac, but that might be out of your price range (if you are going to get a desktop as well), you could also get a PC netbook.

Netbooks have roughly the same battery life as a mac (some have a lot more) at only a fraction of the cost (sub $500), only downsides are that its hardware is a lot less powerful than a mac, but it should still be plenty for school needs, another thing is that they comes in (very) small screen sizes which range from 10-12" which you could look as a bonus if you want the best portability or as a downside if you don't like low resolution.

If you were to build a powerful gaming desktop, it would be around $1,000 more or less depending on whether or not you need an operating system, monitor, and all the other minor things that add up.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely