JC and Enchanting or Alchemy?

I'm going to level up Jewelcrafting but I'm having trouble deciding on my second profession. I only plan on having one character so I can't span a third profession across another toon. I'm looking to be self sufficient and make gold.

Deleted
    I also have jc and enchanting tho I'm low level on them now I've gone fir them ad others I know took them and they manage to make a tidy profit from gems and save money on enchants

I think that your best option is to get Enchanting with Jewelcrafting, both are very usefull and gold makers.
    Last edited by Azrael1985; 2011-03-03 at 10:34 PM.

the alch trinks are OP and will prob last you through most of the expansion.. essp. the tanking one

Anyone know how much it roughly costs to lvl alchemy to full skill from buying maths on ah?

Enchanting. As a jewelcrafter, being able to disenchant things gives you a much higher profit margin.

Deleted
    Don't go with jewelcrafting if you've already got an alt/friend to do the cuts. Frankly, I'm not sure enchanting is worth it either simply because it costs such an incredible sum to level.

If you're only interested in making gold, I would level skinning and possibly herbalism/mining.
    The amount of gold I've gotten from professions probably looks like this
    Enchanting -5-8k (more to level but I did end up using 10-15% of the enchants I made)
    Jewelcrafting 500-600g (200-300g per day if you spend your tokens on the omni gems), 3-4k needed to level
    Alchemy 100-150g per day (if we don't count the trinket), 2-3k needed to level
    Mining 5-6k
    Skinning 7-8k
    Herbalism 6-6.5k ( a lot less now but herbs were selling for A LOT at the start of cata)
    LW- -3-4k, you do get a nifty bracer 'chant however and a drastic reduction on your leg enchant costs
    First aid -4-5k

To sum it up, if you can't be bothered to do more than 10mins of work a day, alchemy & JC are probably your best bets. They don't cost too much to level either.
    If you CAN be bothered to do some work, Grim Batol skinning runs yield 800+g a day and flying around herbing/mining/skinning other peoples kills is good too.
    Last edited by mmoc4b41585514; 2011-03-04 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ilver View Post
    The amount of gold I've gotten from professions probably looks like this
    (...)
    First aid -4-5k
    You made 4-5000 gold with First Aid???

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tobyyyy View Post
    Anyone know how much it roughly costs to lvl alchemy to full skill from buying maths on ah?
    You will have to check your own AH. Price vary a lot between servers, and especially low level mat prices tend to fluctuate a lot.

If you decide to level by buying mats, it might be a good idea to spread your purchases over a longer period, otherwise you might drive the price up for some of the mats which are not available in great quantities on the AH.

Deleted
    Lost 4-5k gold from First Aid, hence the -4-5k.

If you're interested in making gold you should pick up a gathering profession.

Enchanting is going to cost you buttloads and buttloads of gold to level before you even reach wrath-level enchanting content unless you plan on farming for everything you need. It took me almost three weeks on my Shaman and in the end I gave in and ended up buying a lot of stuff anyway. I hate enchanting on my Shaman and at first thought I'd make bank with it, but the market is hard on my server with fluctuating prices. Sure I can sell my stacks of Hypnotic Dust, but I don't raid with my Shaman so I have no opportunities of getting maelstrom crystals. That being said, I absolutely fucking hate enchanting people's gear. I think it is quite possibly the absolute worst part of WoW.

Alchemy, on the other hand, is fairly easy to level. In fact it's the easiest non-gathering profession to level out there right now. The mats aren't totally rare - the lower ones are pretty expensive, but once higher up they get a lot cheaper until you reach Cata content. And you can always roll a little toon to pick some herbs for you. You get double time on your flasks and flasks and potions sell for ENORMOUS prices. And if you like Archaeology, you have a chance to find the sand vial thing and sell it for 26k +.

I would not recommend this if you don't have an alt to gather up mats for you. I really can't see a reason why not to be honest - roll a Paladin or a Druid. Level it up (you get lots and lots of XP picking herbs and mining nodes). If you're in a high level guild that doesn't slack then you'll have a 35% bonus to XP... 40% once you get the guild level 20 and buy the helm. This pretty much means very little questing just for a few levels. You'll hit 2, maybe three areas in Outland before you head to Northrend, where you can hit another 2 or 3 areas depending on your flavor to ding 80. And the rest is kind of history since getting 80-85 is easy money. Plus there's a guide you can read on dinging 85 in 7 days. Once you ding 85 you should have tons of gold - buy 310% flying with it and get to farming. Also while you're leveling this alt you can sell all your extra stuff - on my alt I sold almost 10 stacks of ore for 48g a stack, plus all the extra herbs I didn't need for leveling alchemy on my main. I have one rich little alt and I haven't even gotten to Northrend yet.

The perk of having a gathering alt is you won't have to buy ore to level JC (and you would have to buy a LOT of ore to level it, plus do the dailies... trust me), you won't have to buy herbs on the AH and sell your pot for less than you paid for the mats, and it is pretty much all profit.

Hope this helped, and good luck.
    Secure accounts ftw!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    "KING VARIAN, DEATHWING HAS DESTROYED HALF OF STORMWIND, WHAT DO WE DO!?"

"Build a statue of your king."

...you won't have to buy herbs on the AH and sell your pot for less than you paid for the mats, and it is pretty much all profit.
    Willelm, do you advise him to level a herbalist, just that he can then make stuff with alchemy that he ends up selling for less than he could have sold the mats in the first place?

JC and Alchemy.

Enchanting is an OK choice as well, but if you want JC as your main then Alchemy is a nice support profession that will also make money on its own. If you go transmute master and transmute inferno ruby through alchemy you can wind up with a couple extra, which on my server is 100-200g per once they're cut (which costs nothing extra). The daily volatile life transmute or truegold CD is also a decent guaranteed money maker as well that will help supplement on the side.

For me, the issue with enchanting is having to work harder to get the money through trade advertising. I'd rather log in and do 10-20 transmutes, throw my 40-50 items on AH all in 5-10 minutes and walk away with 1000g+ a day and go about my business actually playing the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to make gold. JC + Enchanting. It's easy, I'll explain:
    Step 1, Buy Cheap Ore
    Step 2, Prospect Ore
    Step 3, Sell Purple, Blue, and Green gems during the JC daily - Repost often
    Step 4, Make jewelery and fist weapons
    Step 5, DE said jewelery and fist weapons
    Step 6, Sell scrolls or mats from step 5

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snodeath View Post
    If you want to make gold. JC + Enchanting. It's easy, I'll explain:
    Step 1, Buy Cheap Ore
    Step 2, Prospect Ore
    Step 3, Sell Purple, Blue, and Green gems during the JC daily - Repost often
    Step 4, Make jewelery and fist weapons
    Step 5, DE said jewelery and fist weapons
    Step 6, Sell scrolls or mats from step 5
    What I do exactly, though I have them over 2 characters heh. I have a BS/JC and an Enchanting/Miner (dont even use mining... thinking about dropping for alchemy :P). I buy all the ridiculously cheap ore, prospect it, make the jewelry and send to alt. In the end I end up making plenty of money on my main (the BS/JC) just selling the blue gems/daily gems, while also making lots of money on my alt with the enchanting mats :P. The only drawback is you have to do a lot of tedious prospecting/DEing, but if you get something like expeller or other mods to let you do it all with one button, its not so bad as you can just watch tv/do whatever while prospecting/deing.

with how things going on my realm, i'd say jc/alch.. DEing jc greens are not worth it.. transmuting seems to work better for gold.. it may be different for your realm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heartlexx View Post
    with how things going on my realm, i'd say jc/alch.. DEing jc greens are not worth it.. transmuting seems to work better for gold.. it may be different for your realm.
    I tend to still make enough through DEing and selling the proc blues to make it worth crafting the hessonite rings and DEing. The carnelian spikes are basically always worth it because they de into 2-3 greater celestials often which are always 30g+. Alicite I just cut and vendor bc its just not worth it when the greens are only 285 ilvl and thus make 1-2 dust often, which only sells for 5-6g each on my server. I do make jasper/nightstone misc items too when I have more than 100 due to mass prospecting, but mostly save those for JC dailies.