Thread: Taken Names?

Taken Names?

Hello. Ive run into the problem of having a very good name in mind and its always taken. Then once I go onto the website and look at the name, its always a lvl 1-5 player = /. From what I think, why do people make trial accounts, but never go past that? The names are taken and never get deleted. This goes out more to Blizzard, but could trial accounts get their own server or something? Or could like alts lvl ** to ** be deleted after a few months? Because Ive see people make a trial account, play it for like 1 hour, then never go back and the names are gone for good. This is just what I found but it may be different for other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    I asked a GM about this once and they said the only way is to contact the player and ask for them to delete the character, otherwise they are unauthorized to take action of any kind

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by Dagon132 View Post
    Hello. Ive run into the problem of having a very good name in mind and its always taken. Then once I go onto the website and look at the name, its always a lvl 1-5 player = /. From what I think, why do people make trial accounts, but never go past that? The names are taken and never get deleted. This goes out more to Blizzard, but could trial accounts get their own server or something? Or could like alts lvl ** to ** be deleted after a few months? Because Ive see people make a trial account, play it for like 1 hour, then never go back and the names are gone for good. This is just what I found but it may be different for other people.
    Why do people make trial accounts, but never go past that: to try the game and find out they don't like it
    could trial accounts get their own server: nobody would join if you went to a trial account server with nobody on it, you wouldn't get a real feel for the game and it would be boring
    could like alts lvl ** to ** be deleted after a few months: if it's a paid for account no, you picked the name first its yours, if it's a true trial account that hasn't been activated then it should be deleted if requested by someone else, but if its just inactive, someone's not going to want to go back to their old account and not have their same name.

GM's will give you different answers depending on who you speak to on that matter I think. :P
    I have had two names released, both have been on alts that did not show up on the armory on the realm at all, and are either below level 10, or were locked names due to server-transfers or name-changes etc. Tried with a third too, but the guy I spoke with that time said they couldn't do anything at all with any names like that.

I have no idea what theire policy is, but try ticketing for the name to be released anyway. Maybe you're as lucky as I am. :P

actually i know of someone who had a name taken off their level 1 character trying to save the name. i guess the person who wanted the name contacted a GM and was granted the name, and thereby taking it from the character that already had it.

i feel like there was a blue post on this at some point in the past saying that GMs are allowed to do this if people are just trying to "save" a name
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Some people (like me) will also create a toon with the name you are looking for as a holder. If I like a name I will lock it up by making what toon shows up in the window and never using it, so i can delete the toon and use the name that I like with the toon I want at a later time.

On that note, if you like a name somebody else is using (for posting on forums of whatever) there is a good chance it will be taken on lots of realms. There were 2 Spikedriver toons in all of wow for many years, after i started to post on here and Wow offical forums, 3 more people have started toons with that name. I can only assume that other names are grabbed and locked up the same way
    I think the whole front office — or at least a good chunk of it — was obsessed with Crawford. I blame Varitek and Mirabelli, because every time the Sox played the Rays, Crawford would single, steal second, steal third, steal home, then come out of the dugout and steal first, then steal second and third on one pitch, then reverse-steal second again just so he could steal third and home on the following pitch. - Michael Schur

Deleted
    I'm Health on Bronzebeard. Every realm has a Health ^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    I asked a GM about this once and they said the only way is to contact the player and ask for them to delete the character, otherwise they are unauthorized to take action of any kind
    Wrong, I got the name I wanted by asking a GM, it was taken by a level 1 so I asked very nicely and now I have the name I want.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the name you want is taken by a character below level 10 then you are able to ticket a GM and nicely request that they release the name (There is a blue post on this somewhere on official forums). An exception to this though is if the character is an active bank alt, then they wont be able to release the name.

My roomie had a gm remove a name from a level 1 so he could have it on his 80. so yeah it happens.