1. #1
    Dreadlord Vanthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ol US of A
    Posts
    758

    Buying Used PC Games?

    I am a console gamer at heart, but I find myself on my computer all the time so I am slowly building my PC atm. At the moment I currently own Medal of Honor that I bought off the EA site. My question is, is it possible to buy used games off sites like craigslist and simply put them in and play them? Or are most games like WoW where you have to have a game code to put in to activate it?

    If I could save a few bucks by buying the games used, then Ill go down that path, but if it is not entirely possible, then Ill just stick to buying the games new whenever possible.

    Off topic: If I was to sell my WoW account online, is it possible to change the name/email on the account?

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Nazdreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    816
    I'd check ebay over craigslist, I lost all hope for that site years ago. And some you have to have the codes to install some, just make sure they have those is all. I've purchased a few games that needed them and just asked before actually bidding/buying out.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

  3. #3
    Warchief Vayjir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    2,232
    Most new games now days have Cdkeys and use some sort of DRM that makes preowned games quite annoying to buy for pc take RA3 for example you can only install it 3 or 5 times.

    Also its not wise talking about selling your wow account here you arent allowed to sell it by blizzard.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Most new games now days have Cdkeys and use some sort of DRM that makes preowned games quite annoying to buy for pc take RA3 for example you can only install it 3 or 5 times.

    Also its not wise talking about selling your wow account here you arent allowed to sell it by blizzard.
    It's not like they would ban someone for a post on these forums. I doubt even if he had his character on his signature they could satisfy their burden of proof that it really is him, would be so easy to abuse.

  5. #5
    Many modern games come with a code for online play (i.e. multiplayer in shooters). You link the key to your EA account (for example) and can use that game online. If you buy a used game, you'll have to hit up the EA store for a multiplayer key if you wish to go online.

  6. #6
    download Steam. Greatest thing ever. Amazing deals on older games or during holidays, don't need to worry about saving CD keys, don't need to keep CD's and you can uninstall when you're not playing them, and reinstall them when you're in the mood so they don't take up harddrive space, and despite some peoples complaints i've had no issues whatsoever with them. In fact its been the greatest thing i ever did in terms of PC gaming, despite my initial reservations.

  7. #7
    Yea you can change your email. Not sure if you can chance your name to the account. You should be able to change most personal information. I was able to sell my Death Knight with my spoon fed t10 and shadowmourne for 2000USD right before Cataclysm. Kinda feel sorry for the guy since there was a gear reset right after it.

  8. #8
    only single player computer games should ever be bought used, =if their is a online element to a game, it generally has a special code with it that acts as a identifier for online play, giving you a unique "id" for use online. the cd actually has very little impact on online game, it the code that has the value.



    i would suggest if your gonna buy used games, do not buy mm games.
    I'm the biggest asshole you will ever meet, if you got a problem with it, grow some thicker skin.


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAHAEARN View Post
    only single player computer games should ever be bought used, =if their is a online element to a game, it generally has a special code with it that acts as a identifier for online play, giving you a unique "id" for use online. the cd actually has very little impact on online game, it the code that has the value.


    i would suggest if your gonna buy used games, do not buy mm games.
    Hell, these days even single player PC games require a code to play. Some even require you to be online.

  10. #10
    1) Download Steam.

    2) Wait for Summer/Xmas Steam sale.

    3) Buy 10-15 AAA title games for ~$100-120.

    4) Play those games until next Steam Sale

    5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until Pakistan becomes a rogue islamist nation and nukes India resulting in worldwide famine due to global cooling from atmospheric debris.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Encarn View Post
    1) Download Steam.

    2) Wait for Summer/Xmas Steam sale.

    3) Buy 10-15 AAA title games for ~$100-120.

    4) Play those games until next Steam Sale

    5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until Pakistan becomes a rogue islamist nation and nukes India resulting in worldwide famine due to global cooling from atmospheric debris.
    I've found 95 % of all steam sales games cheaper in my country's webstores.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •