Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do people say demo single target dps is pathetic?

Hey all,

I have been reading a lot of forums lately and people are constantly talking about demo single target dps and that it's pathetic
    I seem to do fine with demo..at least i think i do i know destro pumps out more dps but i hate it i may not do as much dps as destro but i like the things demo gives (aoe damage+ raid buff)
    on argaloth i managed to do 17k dps and with omnotron i did between 16-17k, so why are people constantly complaining about demo single target dps am i missing something?

it's not pathetic but it's not up on top either. it's just there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Copy pasta of my answer from EU forum...

Because of sites like stateofdps.com that compare the top 200 of a couple of thousand Destruction players with the top 200 of a much smaller number of Demo players and make it look bad.

The reality is that single target, there isn't much between the three specs at all, but what does seperate the specs is the ability to multi-dot, Affliction has Soul Swap and Destruction has Bane of Havoc where Demo has to manually use weaker DoTs which is much harder for a lesser effect.

People also tend to think Demo is easy and/or boring, but just don't get it and consequently do it badly.

coz they play it bad

true. demo is really not your typical run of the mill spec.

Deleted
    Yea thx for the answer jes i posted another one here cause these forums are read more than the EU one so i thought i might get more explaining here. i am just bit sick of people saying that demo sucks which it doesn't like sugarfree said sure it's not up there but it's not pathetic!!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    demo's real strength is in the dark pact buff and any raid leader who ignores that should be questioned.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by charnyl View Post
    demo's real strength is in the dark pact buff and any raid leader who ignores that should be questioned.
    it's not just the buff the AoE helps alot too

that said i'm in love with demo and it's the only spec i raid in for any fight (we also have 2 shamans in our 10man) and i'm never below 3rd dps
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I play both, Destro and Demo, i like usage of all builds (WTB boost Affli) and Demo is really weaker that Destro, no that much, but how someone say, there is problem with "cleave spell" Destro have BoH and Affli Soul Swap, demo can single target, or AoE, but it is bad for fights like Council or Valiona, good for fights like Maloriak and Halfus.

But in the end, Destruction is really stronger in single target, and in 2-3 targets too. Demo is AoE and boost spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    3 possible reasons for any spec that is low on stateofdps:
    1. It is bad.
    ... and in need of a PvE buff.
    2. It is being played badly.
    ...because the spec probably hasn't been given enough time to work out the correct way.
    3. Most of the people who play it are bad.
    ... and like to stand in fire a lot.

I'd love to play demo more, but my guild is working on Cho'gall at the moment and needs shadowfury.
    This would clearly be a #4. The other specs bring something that allows them, or the raid itself to perform better in actual content. It's this that I think is where Demo falls behind, particularly in regard to dealing with an additional 'big' target through multi-dotting.

Problem is many of the heroic content fights are really unfavourable to demo.

Nefarian heroic for example massively benefits destro/affl in p1-2, due to multidots/bane of havoc, and afl in p3 due to soul drain.

Maloriak is the only fight i can think of right now in heroic mode that actually benefits demo. For all the other fights, the specs bring more utility and actual damage than demo can. Perphaps with less 2+ target fights in 4.2 we'll see a difference made.

Do enjoy demo though, play it for the luls on atramedes heroic, it's easy WoL ranks

..I just hope they make the felguard the best pet for single target in patch 4.1, since we have to talent to get it in the first place.
    I love the demo playstyle but I hate the fact you get way more single target DPS from a succubus with lash of pain glyph. Even things like using Demon Soul seem pretty underwhwelming when using a succy which I think detracts from the fun of playing the spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo is and has always been one of the broken classes. While they r doing fine dps single target, their mechanics r kinda...broken. Also demo lacks dps on fights with just 1a dd due the lack of BoH and SS but on fights with higher amounts of adds, demo is the top warlockspec.

15+ Year Old Account
    100% of the time, as Demonology, my dps is as follows:

(Destruction Warlock DPS - Bane of Havoc DPS) - Random(200, 1000) = My DPS.

I am consistently behind the destruction warlocks by a very small amount which is due to my own personal inability to maximize my dps. Shadowflame on cooldown for example, or poor use of Succubus Demon Soul

---------- Post added 2011-03-04 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by butterzz View Post
    Demo is and has always been one of the broken classes. While they r doing fine dps single target, their mechanics r kinda...broken. Also demo lacks dps on fights with just 1a dd due the lack of BoH and SS but on fights with higher amounts of adds, demo is the top warlockspec.
    Explain how it's "broken"

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Explain how it's "broken"
    Strong word, I wouldn't say 'broken', it lacks focus. Well, it didn't in 4.0.x, it was "The AoE spec", but now with AoE being 'Balanced', it's focus is pointless and unnecessary. It really needs an overhaul come 4.1 because of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Strong word, I wouldn't say 'broken', it lacks focus. Well, it didn't in 4.0.x, it was "The AoE spec", but now with AoE being 'Balanced', it's focus is pointless and unnecessary. It really needs an overhaul come 4.1 because of this.
    Pretty much what (s)he's saying (sorry if I offend u this way, just hard to know if people are male or female).
    Demonsoul is pretty bad for us. We are forced to use succubus for singletarget damage but the felguard bring such an amazing demonsoul effect that we are forced to waste soulburn on petchanging.
    Not only that but our pets r pretty buggy ( read: acting like retards, not using skills even tho they r on autocast, not getting buffed by HoG and other bonusses, ..)and we are very rng dependant ( read: moltencore, bane of doom and impending doom ). Bad rng easly result in a 2k+ dps loss.
    Mastery, being or 2nd best stat, boosts our buggy pet damage and our best cooldown wich is very rng dependable. Imo thats not cool.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2011-03-04 at 05:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just don't pet change and time my Demon Soul to phases I get a lot of Shadow Bolts into. Makes it much easier to manage and my dps is within 100 of someone else who does.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    I'd say that's a case of #1 actually.
    Well in terms of overall utility, it's not great, but we're talking pure numbers here - or at least the title of the thread suggest that. The spec would definately benefit substantially from decoupling Aura of Forboding from Hand of Gul'dan, it's bad design pure and simple that a CC ability should be a secondary effect to such a core DPS spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock4life View Post
    Hey all,

I have been reading a lot of forums lately and people are constantly talking about demo single target dps and that it's pathetic
    I seem to do fine with demo..at least i think i do i know destro pumps out more dps but i hate it i may not do as much dps as destro but i like the things demo gives (aoe damage+ raid buff)
    on argaloth i managed to do 17k dps and with omnotron i did between 16-17k, so why are people constantly complaining about demo single target dps am i missing something?
    16-17k dps is actualy not too high dps, on omnotron 20k+ is the very minimum warlock should do, due to possibility to multi dot, and due to energy pools that buff you dps.
    BETA CLUB

Who specs into aura of foreboding?

Also, demo does fine on heroic: halfus, chimearon, maloriak, conclave.
    its bad for fights like atramedes or council (haven't seen council HM)

Overall, I think all three are competitive, and im glad blizzard almost forces ppl to play more than one spec.