Thread: Your ideal Mmo?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your ideal Mmo?

So the title says it all.

Im thinking of spliting this thread into two.

1. your ideal features you would like in "your" mmo. You can base it off of an existing platform and you can alter things. For example. I would base my main platform on RIFT but take some things out and add a few. Maybe give the players the option to select their parrents and biological background in the character creater. Post features you would like for part one.

2. Post the setting you want "your" mmo in. Time place, if or if not there will be and fictional influence ect. My setting would be middle ages. Very historicly accurate with the exception of the odd dragon (whats an mmo without a dragon???>?) and i would have 4 factions, yes 4! idk how it would work honestly but im tired of everygame useing 2 rofl.

Anyway, im honestly just wondering what everyones ideal mmo would be from features you want in existing ones to time,place,story.

The vast majority of my ideal MMO list is being fulfilled by GW2. The only thing I'll miss is a more open and customizable class system like Rift has. Trion says when they made their game totally dynamic it turned off the majority of their playtesters. Really a shame, that would've done a lot to make the perfect MMO for me. I don't need a ton of people playing it either. A large subscriber base does not indicate that I will have more fun in a game. I just need it to be successful and profitable enough to stay running.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    The vast majority of my ideal MMO list is being fulfilled by GW2. The only thing I'll miss is a more open and customizable class system like Rift has. Trion says when they made their game totally dynamic it turned off the majority of their playtesters. Really a shame, that would've done a lot to make the perfect MMO for me. I don't need a ton of people playing it either. A large subscriber base does not indicate that I will have more fun in a game. I just need it to be successful and profitable enough to stay running.
    I agree, with the subscriber base thing. I dont understand why more is automaticly better. Your only playing with people on 1 server anyway. As for GW2 i havnt seen anything on it and im honestly considering doing some research for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My ideal MMO would allow my characters to make the kinds of moves that I see in these advertising cinematics. As for the setting, a fantasy world with the usual suspects populating it. The ability to quest in both linear and non linear fashions. It would need some great background lore (sue me I like the lore of various fantasy worlds). The ability to fully customize your character (height, weight, tattoos, scars, eye color, skin color, so on and so forth). A lot of other things would go into my ideal MMO but those are just a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by JSStryker View Post
    My ideal MMO would allow my characters to make the kinds of moves that I see in these advertising cinematics. As for the setting, a fantasy world with the usual suspects populating it. The ability to quest in both linear and non linear fashions. It would need some great background lore (sue me I like the lore of various fantasy worlds). The ability to fully customize your character (height, weight, tattoos, scars, eye color, skin color, so on and so forth). A lot of other things would go into my ideal MMO but those are just a few ideas.
    I like the custumization part. if im stareing at his back for over 100 hours then i want him to be able to look the way i want him to.

My ideal MMO would be a throwback to the Ultima Online days. Full open-world factionless PvP (just the good guys vs. the bad guys, basically) sandbox style, where you don't mindlessly quest and level. I like getting better at fighting because I fight, for instance. Classless system where I pick what skills my character has, even if its just a pure crafting character.

Graphics, I'd like to see a really polished 2.5D isometric kinda deal, like the Baldur's Gates, UO, Diablo, etc.

Setting: I always thought a Star Wars game, set DURING the Galactic civil war (none of this "3,000 years ago" horse crap) with an open-ended notoriety system, where you picked rather you were a good guy or a bad one through in-game actions, would be fun.

In other words, I'd like to see someone do SW:Galaxies again, but do it right from the start and not screw it up with a class system shoe-horned in where it doesn't belong.

Alternatively, just a fantasy-style game where things feel dangerous and lawless like UO did in the old days would be fine. No jawas needed.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

My ideal MMO is a cool game called WoW-
    Heard of it bro ?
    MOP BETA CLUB

From World of Warcraft:
    - Fluidity and quality of animations (especially idle)
    - Responsiveness of key controls
    - End game raiding balance and quality
    - Authenticator
    - Consistency and quality of art design

From LOTRO:
    - Deed and Trait system as a progression path, encouraging max level characters to revisit older zones
    - Ability to gain a legendary item unique to your character, and 'level' it via xp to increase its bonuses (LI reforging can go jump in a lake though!)
    - The custom appearance system
    - Crafting system
    - Commitment to lore and story in everything that they do
    - Skirmishes

From Rift:
    - Dynamic world events and scenarios
    - Soul system and narrow class pool
    - Magitech!
    - "Everything works out of the box" -- base UI

AION:
    - Eyecandy

Warhammer Online:
    - PVP talents
    - Public quests

Age of Conan:
    - Gritty, pulp action environment and npcs
    - Figure out why Tortage is so interesting, bottle it, and reproduce it
    - Solo instances

City of Heros:
    - Character creation screen
    - Sidekick system that allows you to lower your level to group with friends

15+ Year Old Account
    Perfect MMO as follows.

1.Mages..I want lore where magic is down played like it is in Dragon Age. Realistically (in a fantasy kind of way) People would police magic out of existence because of how powerful it is and how unpredictable the people wielding it may be.

2. Many gray areas in lore, dont handle them. Seriously.. what's more fun than arguing with people about the gray areas in lore? Remember when we were all "wtf? Garrosh will never be Warchief.." good times.

3. Unique races.. and mix it up with the classic races. New interesting races are always nice and the furthest away from "oh that's a human with pointy ears" the better. Also.. learn from Warcraft, take the existing races and change them up a bit.. Make Elves cannibalistic peoples, make dwarves work with the bad guys and of course.. put Draenei in your game <3

For gameplay..

1. Keep spells to a minimum to where you don't have spells you only use for one specific situation yet your not just spamming 2 buttons.

2. Default actions. Meaning add mechanics that everyone can use that will work with boss fights to make them unique. For example Everyone has the ability to quickly roll out of the way, jump (of course) and sprint for a short period of time.

3. Mini-games <3 Seriously.. Either as a way to level professions or just to have fun.

4. PvP.. PvP in MMO's sucks. Rock, Paper, Scissors..ATOM BOMB. I say change it up and dare I say.. make PvP in the style of an RTS game? Your character acts as a leader (the one who needs to be killed to win) and you do..ya know the RTS thing. Either have it 1v1 2v2 3v3. It doesn't have to have 20 players in one match to be an MMO BUT have 20 players playing against each other in smaller matches.

5. Leveling should feel like a solo game, I know I know.. blasphemy. Of course I just say "feel" meaning we should care about the story our character goes through to reach max level.

6.Vanity items. Who doesn't love turning into a furbolg? a blood elf? Arakkoa?.

7. Good character customization. For me I prefer the WoW style customization.. pre-made faces, and lot's of hair styles, facial hair, scars, tattoos, etc. So WoW customization but for the year 2007.. Oh it's 2011 isn't it >_> /sigh WoW..

But I'm gonna stop.. I feel like I'm blogging now.. Time for bed.

1. Story Driven. I want the things I do to matter. I want to care for my character and companion/npcs. With this, you will overall enjoy the game more and feel more immersed.

This is really the only global thing that needs to be in all games. The rest depends on the game. I like both Sword & Sorcery and Sci-Fi Fantasy. They can be turn based, Space shooter, 3rd person shooter, etc. As long as the gameplay is good and it follows that 1 rule, then it is golden.

kingdom hearts style action fighting
    Demon's Souls diffuculty
    Knight Online style dedicated pvp zones
    WoW honor system for said dedicated pvp zones
    Silkroad online style glowing shit huge weapons
    WoW dungeons

I was actually toying around with an MMO idea today.

It would basically be Oregon Trail meets Left 4 Dead meets Minecraft.

You have a choice of 6 professions: Soldier, Engineer, Physician, Survivalist, Hustler, and Professor

Basically the world is a Zombie Apocalypse ridden wasteland of diminishing food supplies and constant movement.

Supplies are scarce and are consumed with an extremely long respawn time forcing people to keep moving as the zombies will continue to mass in player occupied areas. There would be player created forts in urban, rural, or wilderness areas with players choosing where they want to set up shop.

Urban areas have more supplies but more zombies that amass faster. Rural Areas are a medium mix of each. Wilderness areas have few zombies but supplies are scarce and require almost constant gathering and movement.

Players can gather materials to reinforce their forts, scrounge for food and ammunition (raiding military bases, hospitals, WalMart). Players are competing against each other for supplies so there is a diplomacy or PvP factor depending on playstyle and community.

NPC's would appear randomly and frequently to fight, trade, and give information about supplies and threats in the area. They could be lying and trying to lure you into a trap or knowledgeable about huge stores of supplies (with zombie bosses).

Soldier, Engineer, Physician, Survivalist, Hustler, and Professor

The soldier is a typical weapons guy who specializes in combat.

The engineer specializes in construction of structures, welding, heavy machinery

The physician is the healer who can treat wounds (that do not heal by themselves and take time to heal/slow your movement)

The survivalist specializes in traps, hunting, and wilderness survival

The hustler specializes in gathering materials, hotwiring vehicles, and urban combat

The professor specializes in explosives, computer hacking, and creating medicines

Sounded fun as hell in my head while I was cleaning my apartment.

1. Full Nudity

That's about it.

The gorgeousness of Age of Conan, the polish and overall quality of WoW, the playerbase of Everquest II.

Magic: Ability to create own spells/effects within a defined set of rules.
    Char: Complete customization including choosing factions after a character is made, or being without a faction. If I want to be evil and murder people, let me murder EVERYONE.
    World: Allow players to modify game world again, within a defined set of rules. If I want to build a house, let me build it. It can be burned down, but I can at least defend it. If I want create a dungeon and fill it with demons, let me do that too. (Think Undermountain from Forgotten Realms) Dude that was in charge of that place was insane...I want to be him. Just crazy.
    Also, something Sci-fi based that isn't Star Wars. I'm tired of SW and the classic fantasy stuff. A Starcraft or Warhammer 40k based one would be epic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Something different that the obvious fantasy mmo that every company is going for. Give me a good, massive, space mmo that has everything you could possible dream in it. A whole Universe, worlds, planets, galaxies. Guns, magic, science, endless possibilities, would take years to make and a whole lot of money to keep up servers for a game as massive as im thinking, but it'd be so worth it. Untill then, WoW will probably be my last mmo when it eventually ends. Even though the kid inside of me wants to give Lego: Universe a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Something different that the obvious fantasy mmo that every company is going for. Give me a good, massive, space mmo that has everything you could possible dream in it. A whole Universe, worlds, planets, galaxies. Guns, magic, science, endless possibilities, would take years to make and a whole lot of money to keep up servers for a game as massive as im thinking, but it'd be so worth it. Untill then, WoW will probably be my last mmo when it eventually ends. Even though the kid inside of me wants to give Lego: Universe a try.
    That's what I'm talking about. EVE Online seems to be the closest thing to it at the moment. Except I want everyone on the same server. Imagine a WoW playerbase in one game world. Epic fights all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    You never know. Bungie and Blizzard are possibly both developing Sci-fi MMOs. Hopefully we'll see more info about them in the next year.

Ragnarok Online with better netcode
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    There really isn't much to say about SC2, it's not a very complex game. Three races that never change and that's it, end of story.

While I don't think an ideal MMO will ever be made that could appeal to everyone, I really would like to see an MMO like Vindictus altered to have class trees and more open world environments. The half-life physics engine in Vindictus allows for some amazing things, but it's basically an action game with people you happen to group with.