Thread: 6.2g Patch?!

6.2g Patch?!

Hi all,

I recently bought a new computer after my old one crashed to its death.
    So yesterday, after un-packaging my computer, i installed all the WoW expansions with the disks, but after installing Cataclysm it sent me a giant 6.2g patch.
    Now, that would be okay if i didnt live in New Zealand where monthly data allowance isnt as big or as cheap elsewhere.
    So is it possible to get to patch 4.0.6 without downloading a 6.2 gigabyte patch?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosthero View Post
    Hi all,

I recently bought a new computer after my old one crashed to its death.
    So yesterday, after un-packaging my computer, i installed all the WoW expansions with the disks, but after installing Cataclysm it sent me a giant 6.2g patch.
    Now, that would be okay if i didnt live in New Zealand where monthly data allowance isnt as big or as cheap elsewhere.
    So is it possible to get to patch 4.0.6 without downloading a 6.2 gigabyte patch?
    I don't think so . I would try posting on the World of Warcraft Technical Support forums. One of their agents may be able to help in your case.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I don't think you can avoid that patch.. You need the data.
    Tip: Next time, copy WoW to an external hard drive and save yourself the trouble of reinstalling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    copy the wow-folder from your old PC an run the repair.exe
    or
    copy it from an irl friend

The Cata disc only has 4.0.1, so you need to download 4.0.3 and 4.0.6 to catch up

And you only need to install the most recent disc, so Cata in this case, installing old discs isn't required

15+ Year Old Account
    their new streaming system doesn't save the patches therefore from cata onwards you gotta download everything when you wanna install the game again...arn't blizzard great
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Copy it over from a friend.

You don't need to install anything more than the Cataclysm disc.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    You don't need to install anything more than the Cataclysm disc.
    Good luck playing without a patch,

to OP, there is really no way around it, you have to have the patch to play, and short of copying the files locally from another installation, the only way to get the patch files is to download them

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Good luck playing without a patch,

to OP, there is really no way around it, you have to have the patch to play, and short of copying the files locally from another installation, the only way to get the patch files is to download them
    Installing the Cata disc requires internet, and downloads all required information.

time it will take to install with a estimated time of 30 min per expansion:

Vanilla (30), BC (30), WotLK (30), Cata (30-45), or you can simple do Cata (30-45). The first one and a half hour (longer on older computers, shorter on newer) is not needed.