10+ Year Old Account

What was your favorite concept about the Mass Effect series?

When it began, the Mass Effect series really broke down the door in a lot of concepts. Many of these concepts might not be the first time they were attempted but it was the first time it was done well. What was your favorite "aspect" about Mass Effect?

For me there is really only two:

1. The ability to import your player and players.
    I can't think of an rpg, off the top of my head, that has done this besides Mass Effect. And if it had been done before, it was certainly done better in the ME series. For me, being able to import your character was like taking part in not only a trilogy or saga but your own continuing story and events. I think a lot of RPGs just miss out on this concept. Where in a Bethesda rpg, its only a continuation of the hodgepodge lore but never a single identity. Some developers will just slap on sequel title and completely change all the lore and characters with no relation like Squaresoft with Chrono Cross. This was a huge game-maker for me, and I just snub at other rpgs when I think about this concept.

2. The ability to have multiple relationships included into the story.
    I believe other rpgs have scratched on this area, but Mass Effect really crowned it. Being able to have a relationship and friendships with multiple characters and alter the storyline depending on how you treat those friends.

What other concepts in Mass Effect do you wish other RPG developers would emulate?

Some of Bioware's previous games allowed you to import saves I am fairly sure.

I just think the way they blended the RPG and shooting elements together was quite well done. More so in the first one then the second, but they both did a good job.

10+ Year Old Account
    ME1 - Unlimited Fucking Ammo.
    ME2 - The upgrade system. It was legit.

Technically Pokemon did/does the importing of your old players/pokemon.

Deleted
    ME1 - I can bang aliens.
    ME2 - I can bang even more aliens. Also cutscenes that focus on female hind parts. Extensively. I can also call my sex slave, I mean hooker, I mean.. partner in life to my cabin and "Hold (F) to continue."
    Last edited by mmocb95650c314; 2011-03-06 at 11:50 AM.

Deleted
    KotOR was the same with character imports and choose your own destiny and party.
    Bioware do make great games and with LucasArts KotOR was Win WIn

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post

Very many other games have done that, actually.

Not many has done it as well, if none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Not many has done it as well, if none at all.
    Most of Bioware games done it fair well. Baldur's Gate, NWN. Heh, even Quest for Glory did it. Although none of them actually carried your choices over in such a way that it would affect the game play.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Very many other games have done that, actually.
    Well, since 7 replies have been dedicated to this, let me explain. saying that I can't think of any off the top of my head =/= it hasnt been done before. Im positive that everything in Mass Effect has been done before just as in my "relationship included in story" has also been done in games like Azure dreams or fable.
    If you continue reading, what I mean by import is a dramatic impact's on story and game play. Many give you import bonuses like higher levels or money, and many times I have opted out of even imported under those conditions.

I loved the dialogue system. It was the only RPG I ever played where dialogue flowed naturally and actually felt like a conversation. Sucks that they didn't do this for DA:O.
    I also loved the science of ME and how the writers actually tried to make sense of it.

The fact that there is actually repercussions if I'm a douchebag to people, the red scars if you are performing renegade actions really made my second go through the game alot more filled with badassery
    <DigDug> i think i\'m gonna walk to the movie theater and see dinosaur...
    <kimy-> and be surrounded by like 10 year old girls?
    <Amanda_> He said Dinosaur, not N'Sync.

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I loved the dialogue system. It was the only RPG I ever played where dialogue flowed naturally and actually felt like a conversation. Sucks that they didn't do this for DA:O.
    I also loved the science of ME and how the writers actually tried to make sense of it.
    Dragon Age 2 and The Old Republic

I think we can expect the dialogue wheel in a lot of Bioware games going further. It simply works really well, and until they have something better, they'll keep using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    When it began, the Mass Effect series really broke down the door in a lot of concepts. Many of these concepts might not be the first time they were attempted but it was the first time it was done well. What was your favorite "aspect" about Mass Effect?

For me there is really only two:

I can't think of an rpg, off the top of my head, that has done this besides Mass Effect. And if it had been done before, it was certainly done better in the ME series. For me, being able to import your character was like taking part in not only a trilogy or saga but your own continuing story and events. I think a lot of RPGs just miss out on this concept. Where in a Bethesda rpg, its only a continuation of the hodgepodge lore but never a single identity. Some developers will just slap on sequel title and completely change all the lore and characters with no relation like Squaresoft with Chrono Cross. This was a huge game-maker for me, and I just snub at other rpgs when I think about this concept.

2. The ability to have multiple relationships included into the story.
    I believe other rpgs have scratched on this area, but Mass Effect really crowned it. Being able to have a relationship and friendships with multiple characters and alter the storyline depending on how you treat those friends.

What other concepts in Mass Effect do you wish other RPG developers would emulate?
    It was all there in Baldurs Gate 1-2 and wasnt badly implemented.

---------- Post added 2011-03-06 at 06:37 PM ----------

ME1-2 was the closest thing to a shooter I played since Unreal(the original) or Quake2(I dont know which 1 is older) and that was a big thing for me.

The Mass Effect universe reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and to a lesser extent Star Trek(a strange mixture of the 2).
    Captain Anderson=Admiral(Bill) Adama(he looks like Edward James Olmos)
    Shepard=Lee Adama(lol)
    Spectre:Section 31
    Reaper/Geth:Cylons
    Citadel species,council,alliance:Federation
    Reaper IFF:Boomer used something like that in BSG to blow up a cylon basestar
    The voice of Tricia Helfer as EDI(caprica 6 from BSG)
    Joker=Gaius Baltar(looks like Tricia Helfer seduced him too rofl)

and a lot more I cba to write down so I dont think that it was very original but it was at least enjoyable
    Last edited by exstarcraftfan; 2011-03-06 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ME1 - Lift conversations
    ME2 - Moral actions, that reporter got punched so much