Laptops for gaming?

Whats the general consensus for using a laptop for gaming? I know its inferior to desktop gaming but by how much? I ask because I have thought of buying a gaming laptop (cheaper than desktop and portable) but wondering if i'm just going to end up wasting my money.

If there are good gaming laptops, any suggestions?

I used a laptop when I first started playing. It wasn't too bad for doing dailies or maybe farming or running a 5 man heroic. But I would lag so bad when I would raid, like 0 fps. Even though my piece of garbage desktop had lower quality parts than my laptop I got better use out of it for raiding.

Just my 2 cents

Dell XPS 17 its amazing

A gaming laptop will only serve you if you're never on the sample place for too long. Gaming laptops are always more expensive than an equally "geared" desktop.

Examples where a gaming laptop is the way to go:

1) You travel a lot and spend time in hotels or you're a truck driver who likes to play WoW during breaks.
    2) You move every couple of months or so (think military)
    3) You don't have enough room for a desktop (think college dorm)

If none of those apply to you then forget about buying a gaming laptop, your wallet will thank you.

I recently bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...0g73&cp=1&lp=1

I't's been a fantastic laptop for me plays wow great, along with any other game I have thrown at it so far, runs very very cool and has a back-lit keyboard that is a fantastic feature. Downfall is the touch pad but that shouldn't be an issue as you should buy a mouse if you plan on gaming with it.

PS Never plays wow below 60fps in any setting.

I use a laptop for gaming and i love it me and my friends allways having lan partys every week or two playing a bunch of different games befor i had my laptop dragging my pc was a real hassel for a few hours at my mates to bring it home and set it all up again, so because i now have a laptop i love it it's greeat i hardly use my desktop and i run wow on high graphics with a consistant 60fps everywear except in 25mans i have to reduce a few things.. lucky for me i don't run 25mans anyways
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

If you're looking to buy a gaming laptop that will run basically every game out now on ultra, then have a look at the asus G73jw

This thing is amazing, I myself do not own one but you ask anyone with one they will say its a fantastic machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haylonidas View Post
    I recently bought

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+L...0g73&cp=1&lp=1

I't's been a fantastic laptop for me plays wow great, along with any other game I have thrown at it so far, runs very very cool and has a back-lit keyboard that is a fantastic feature. Downfall is the touch pad but that shouldn't be an issue as you should buy a mouse if you plan on gaming with it.

PS Never plays wow below 60fps in any setting.
    Heh, thats the same exact laptop I was looking at today and is what actually inspired me to make this thread lol. So it can run WoW with 60fps with Ultra settings in say... a ten man raid?

I have an older version asus laptop and its pretty good for my uses.

My father has the g73jw. He invested in one of the best gaming laptops out there.

He uses it for wow on 1280x720 with all graphics on low settings, and facebook games. It's actually disgusting watching that power go to waste, i get physically ill when i see it.

I have been thinking about investing in a new laptop.. I'd like it to be able to play most games pretty good and be just a bit set for the future (thinking good graphic and performance capabilities for D3)
    I want a laptop because I like the mobility of it, and I'd also like to be able to bring said computer to the uni and use it there for educational purposes.
    The thing is, though, I know nothing but the very basics of hardware, so it has proven to be quite a jungle to find the right laptop.

Could anyone with more knowledge of hardware and the components' synergy guide me a bit of the way to finding a new laptop? Would be greatly appreciated
    To sum up the needs of it: Educational uses, a sandy bridge processor (perhaps?) and its gotta be a bit of high-end right now, so it can stand it's ground against gaming graphics for at least a while

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    I have an older version asus laptop and its pretty good for my uses.

My father has the g73jw. He invested in one of the best gaming laptops out there.

He uses it for wow on 1280x720 with all graphics on low settings, and facebook games. It's actually disgusting watching that power go to waste, i get physically ill when i see it.
    Why would he turn it on low? Mine runs 1920x1200 at Ultra all (inc shadow) at usually 60+