Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughriot View Post
    Never played Runescape, but I started my MMO career when UO's T2A expansion came out, and I remember people making fun of Runescape even back then.

Not that that necessarily means anything. Just an indication that it isn't just recent, big-budget MMOs that have made gamers think Runescape was stupid.
    The reason people make fun of it is because the community is horrible, the graphics are horrible and the combat is stale, and there is practically nothing you can do unless you're a member. Aside from that it's not a bad game, especially at higher levels

I've never played RS, so I can't draw any parallels with that MMO, but I would appreciate some quests where you had some sort of puzzle to solve in WoW. Maybe make them the level 85 quests and have a suitably useful reward at the end. Maybe the 346 pieces that you're missing from the JP vendor. Questing to kill person X does get a bit boring after a while, something to make me think would be welcome.

Cave mazes would be good.

Ones where you would have to collect a set of items which the quest log doesn't actually tell you, would be good too, but the drops would have to be available in a certain area, because it pains me searching for "X feet" when only type X.b will drop them. Maybe even the possibility of completing the quest in several different ways.

Erm... there were puzzles in the game. The top of Sunken Temple was a giant (easy) puzzle, but a puzzle none the less.

WoW questing has always been there to tell a story and to get you levels... Something that they've improved greatly on since launch.

Random puzzle quests would fail horribly in WoW, because one of the things that attracts people is the fact that its not a grindfest.

Quote Originally Posted by General Vezax View Post
    People would qq about spending 15 a month to run around in mazes.
    People would QQ about paying 15 a month and NOT being able to run around in mazes...its really a no win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Erm... there were puzzles in the game. The top of Sunken Temple was a giant (easy) puzzle, but a puzzle none the less.

WoW questing has always been there to tell a story and to get you levels... Something that they've improved greatly on since launch.

Random puzzle quests would fail horribly in WoW, because one of the things that attracts people is the fact that its not a grindfest.
    How would pizzles make it a grind fest. how do you just walk through dungeons with no traps or puzzles or things to stop you other then a boss.. I would like to see more immersive dungeons with optional paths, like brd just with out the respawns lol

Saying Runescape doesn't have a pvp system is absurd. There are (or were before the Wilderness Returned) plenty of ways to pvp. Castle Wars, Stealing Creation, PVP Worlds!!, and some more that i can recall. Saying Runescape doesn't have a raid is madness as well: Pest Control, God War Dungeon, Barbarian Assault. Not to mention Dungeons of Daemonheim, which is a huge interactive raid which makes you use your skills unlike WoW, in fact Dungeoneering is a skill entirely used for this purpose. There are bosses, gear drops, money drops. Not to mention that Daemonheim also introduces classes into the game with the Ring of Kinship, which the further you progress, you can define how you want to help your group. There are Tank/Melee classes, Ranged classes, Caster classes, and Healing classes!

At any rate on topic, I think the Runescape questing system compared to WoW's questing system, is entirely emmersive. You have to spend quite some time solving puzzles, wow is more or less go here kill this and return. WoW is all about the end game. Runescape is all about exploring. Getting 99 in a skill is an achievement, getting an 85 (or 525 for that matter) is more of a task.

It's all about speed. People generally don't mind questing, and enjoy the lore aspect of it, but they also want to play at max level. This feat is harder to attain if you are stuck at level 15 trying to complete some awkwardly designed puzzle. Therefore, in order to streamline the leveling process, puzzles aren't as big as the "collect x amount of this item and bring them back to me" quests. Usually when MMOs have puzzles nowadays, they are side-quests of a sort that often yield larger rewards than the main streamlined ones.

Hmm i dont remember any mazes or puzzles from back when i played many years ago except in the members only area. I just remember doing the kill x quests

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Hmm i dont remember any mazes or puzzles from back when i played many years ago except in the members only area. I just remember doing the kill x quests
    I don't remember a single quest that was kill x or collect something

Quote Originally Posted by sagan-man View Post
    I don't remember a single quest that was kill x or collect something
    1 quest that really sticks out in my memory is the vampire 1 where its o go get this stake and some garlic and fight him. Might not be in the game anymore idk its been like 7 years

Theres also go kill some little imp's and get colorful beads, go kill some barbarians in this town, go kill the big dragon with your special shield, go kill some ice giants. really are you just trying to ignore them?
    Last edited by georgevonfranken; 2011-03-07 at 07:32 PM.

Because RuneScape quests were all:

Click
    Click
    Click
    CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK
    Click
    Get reward.

WoW has some fairly epic quests and cinematics to go with them.

Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate puzzle quests. They're stupid, they're usually timed, and their answers are generally idiotic. I loved Myst because it was a game of puzzles, great. I don't want an MMO the same way.

Runescape is crap. UO was always better.

Deleted
    Cause if you cant do something in 10mins its too hard and must be nerfed.

I miss vanilla class quests...

1 quest that really sticks out in my memory is the vampire 1 where its o go get this stake and some garlic and fight him. Might not be in the game anymore idk its been like 7 years

Theres also go kill some little imp's and get colorful beads, go kill some barbarians in this town, go kill the big dragon with your special shield, go kill some ice giants. really are you just trying to ignore them?
    Runescape is advertised as a free game but the truth is f2p content is extremely limited and only for new players. The core of runescape is the paid version which has all the cool stuff, big worlds, quests etc. 10combat lvl quests which you mentioned don't really show anything at all about the quests in general. Generally you can't really describe runescape basing on the low lvl f2p content.

Deleted

Well obviously there were quests where you had to collect or kill something, but hardly any where that was the only objective

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Runescape is advertised as a free game but the truth is f2p content is extremely limited and only for new players. The core of runescape is the paid version which has all the cool stuff, big worlds, quests etc. 10combat lvl quests which you mentioned don't really show anything at all about the quests in general. Generally you can't really describe runescape basing on the low lvl f2p content.
    When i played the dragon in the cave on the island(lol great description i know) was the very last quest after that its farm greater demons to gain more levels. So no im not basing runescape off the low level f2p content i experienced all the f2p content there was when i played except the wilderness i spent very little time there