Thread: Tank Rings

Tank Rings

http://www.wowhead.com/item=56444 *Umbriss Band Heroic* vs http://www.wowhead.com/item=62362 *Signet of the Elder Council*

i know people are saying the Signet is better but even with correctly reforging i still end up with a -0.07 avoidence loss after switching to it from the umbriss band so if anyone can explain to me why exactly it is better

What information is telling you the agi ring is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Asur View Post
    What information is telling you the agi ring is better?
    just the different threads on this website that ive been looking at for a while seen alot of people saying it is

10+ Year Old Account
    mmm maybe for bear tanks the signet is better. other wise the band has more mastery, some tanks that i know seems to love their mastery

The 346 is better for pally tanks. Hit/exp is hard to come by and with it being so high in mastery which is #1 for us, hands down the 346 is better

Agility = useless and haste = useless for us so whoever said the 359 is better doesn't know pally tanking

Umbriss Band gives 2.81% Block and 0.20% Parry and the Signet of the Elder Council gives 2.13% Block and 0.70% Dodge. The Signet has more Haste then the Umbriss Band has Hit so there's more room to reforge, I don't know the actual math but it looks like the Signet would actually be better since it also has more Stamina.

Signet of the elder council:
    190 agility - 142,5 dodge rating - ~0.80% dodge before DR
    286 stamina
    50 dodge rating (reforge) - ~0.28% dodge before DR
    77 haste rating
    127 mastery rating - ~0.71 mastery - ~1.60% block

Total CTC: 2.68% before DR

Umbriss Band:
    128 strength - 32 parry rating - ~0.18% parry before DR
    252 stamina
    34 dodge rating (reforge) - ~0.19% dodge before DR
    51 hit rating
    168 mastery - ~0.94 mastery - ~2.1% block

Total CTC: 2.47% before DR

HOWEVER:

What makes the difference here are diminishing returns. Considering the Umbriss Band has more mastery and less dodge it suffers less from diminishing returns than the Signet of the Elder Council. Do keep in mind the signet will give you more stamina, more avoidance but less mitigation, less total CTC coverage and less threat. The difference ends up being pretty small in this case.

Everyone who says agility is useless for us needs to get a clue though. Agility converts to avoidance a lot better than strength (especially with how overloaded you get on parry in 359 gear). Considering threat is a non-issue these days, it performs a lot better than strength.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wumbobabo View Post
    The 346 is better for pally tanks. Hit/exp is hard to come by and with it being so high in mastery which is #1 for us, hands down the 346 is better

Agility = useless and haste = useless for us so whoever said the 359 is better doesn't know pally tanking
    Agility is far from useless for paladin tanks. In terms of mitigation, Agility is superior to Strenght, so if you are having no threat issues, agility is superior to strenght.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Agility is far from useless for paladin tanks. In terms of mitigation, Agility is superior to Strenght, so if you are having no threat issues, agility is superior to strenght.
    That is valid only if gear-wise status quo holds, which, considering that everyone is currently in the process of getting new gear, it doesn't.

I think saying agility is superior to strength is a bit over the top. It is true that Plate itemization will cause us to be heavy on Parry. Some of us are reforging Parry into Dodge to help with this imbalance. Also it is very hard to determine a specific items value to you in your gear. For me the Agility ring is better, if not by much, but still better. I am overloaded with Parry at the moment. Either way I probably wouldn't kick any one of the two out. I currently hold onto all 346 or better items. You never know. Today it's not great, tomorrows upgrade might make it perfect. It is also a good point mentioned if you are having trouble with threat then you need to work that into the equation as well.
    Raid Leading - it's the next best thing to playing every class and spec, you just can't push the buttons or move the mouse. That's why they die.