Thread: 970 vs 1090T

970 vs 1090T

I am planning on buying some new parts for my PC.
    Already decided the new Mobo is going to be ASRock 890FX Deluxe 4 ( €137 )
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 ( €105 )

But now I can't decide between the AMD Phenom II X4 970 and the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

The stock processorspeed of the 970 is higher, but the 1090T has more cores. Now more cores doesn't mean everything, but since more and more programs are able to utilize more cores isn't it better to choose the 1090T?
    Also, which processor has better overclock possibilities?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if someone knows a better option for the mobo or the memory, please say so (and also say why, please)

ps: I live in the Netherlands, I just used the newegg links because everyone on here seems to like them.

Edit: or is it worth the 25 extra euros to get the 1100T?
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-03-06 at 10:05 PM.

If this rig you're building is for gaming, I'd go with the 970. As far as I know, most modern games don't utilize 6 cores, so 4 @ a higher clock speed would be better imo.
    Last edited by shaw0050; 2011-03-07 at 03:45 AM.

If you're going Phenom II x4, there really isn't much reason to higher than the 955 BE since you can easily OC it to a 975 BE.

That being said, I really wouldn't recommend either of those processors right now. With the money you're going to spend on CPU+Motherboard, you're going to want to look at the Intel Sandybridge CPU and a P67 chipset motherboard. If you're going to overclock, look at the i5 2500k, otherwise you can just consider the regular i5 2500 or 2400. Either way, all of those are going to give you better performance for your money.

As for motherboards, if you're looking at ASROCK, I've heard nothing but great reviews on their P67 Extreme 4 motherboards. ASROCK announced that they were shipping their P67 B3 stepping boards early last week, so they should start popping up in stores very soon.