Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Gold's Gym is sueing me, and I need advice. HALP!!

It's a very long story, but I'll try to explain it the best way I can.

Last November I was looking to join a gym because I was planning to join the military and I needed to loose weight. So I stopped by Gold's Gym, a chain in the united states, they sounded good and I signed the contract. However, I didn't know what I was signing, the rep made it sound like it was month-to-month but he intentionally left out a HUGE detail. I was committed for 2 years and I had to pay membership every month. I couldn't do that because my circumstances is pretty unpredictable and I couldn't guarantee I will be able to pay for two years and I don't plan on being a member for that long either. I realized that 5 minutes later, and I told the guy I wanted out. I haven't left the fucking building yet and the douche bag in the track suit refused to tear it up because he was looking after his own ass. I called my mom (yeah, I called my mom you wanna fight about it?) because she was the one paying for it, and over the phone she told him to tear it up as well and he still refused.

before I go on, in the united states you have a three-day-grace period to back out of a contract.

I exercised that right and called their office upstate demanding that they cancel the contract. They refused to do it over the phone and they told me to send all my contracts and stuff in the mail with a letter saying that I want to cancel my contract. The very next day I did just that, and I thought it would be the end of it.

However, fast forward two months later I noticed that gold's gym is charging my account. When I called them about it they told me that they had no record about me canceling the contract. I know that it's a load of bullshit, and it far too convenient for them that my letter mysteriously got lost in the mail.

I called my bank and explained what's going on. They found that there was an error and they refunded my money and stopped gold's gym from making any more charges.

Now gold's gym is all butthurt that I cut them off from my checking account. I got a letter from them yesterday saying that if I don't pay up they're going to sue me. I have no money, I got $20 dollars to my name and I can't pay them or pay a lawyer to help me out.

HALP!!!!
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

legally you are safe, really the best course of action is threaten to file bankruptcy, if they think you dont have any money then they know you cant pay them anyways

hell, if you make it clear that the fees for sueing you outweigh what they will gain they will back down

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't understand why you didn't just grab the contract by force and rip it up yourself.
    and isnt the state suppose to give you a lawyer if you cant pay for one?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    It's a very long story, but I'll try to explain it the best way I can.

Last November I was looking to join a gym because I was planning to join the military and I needed to loose weight. So I stopped by Gold's Gym, a chain in the united states, they sounded good and I signed the contract. However, I didn't know what I was signing, the rep made it sound like it was month-to-month but he intentionally left out a HUGE detail. I was committed for 2 years and I had to pay membership every month. I couldn't do that because my circumstances is pretty unpredictable and I couldn't guarantee I will be able to pay for two years and I don't plan on being a member for that long either. I realized that 5 minutes later, and I told the guy I wanted out. I haven't left the fucking building yet and the douche bag in the track suit refused to tear it up because he was looking after his own ass. I called my mom (yeah, I called my mom you wanna fight about it?) because she was the one paying for it, and over the phone she told him to tear it up as well and he still refused.

before I go on, in the united states you have a three-day-grace period to back out of a contract.

I exercised that right and called their office upstate demanding that they cancel the contract. They refused to do it over the phone and they told me to send all my contracts and stuff in the mail with a letter saying that I want to cancel my contract. The very next day I did just that, and I thought it would be the end of it.

However, fast forward two months later I noticed that gold's gym is charging my account. When I called them about it they told me that they had no record about me canceling the contract. I know that it's a load of bullshit, and it far too convenient for them that my letter mysteriously got lost in the mail.

I called my bank and explained what's going on. They found that there was an error and they refunded my money and stopped gold's gym from making any more charges.

Now gold's gym is all butthurt that I cut them off from my checking account. I got a letter from them yesterday saying that if I don't pay up they're going to sue me. I have no money, I got $20 dollars to my name and I can't pay them or pay a lawyer to help me out.

HALP!!!!
    countersue them if they try and sue you for breaking the US law
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    OMG EVERYONE IS BANNED.

I hope the 2 months of training comes in handy.

Let them sue you that way you don't waste the court fees filing the case. If they actually go through with it just explain your case, if it is similar to what you typed then you should have no problem winning your case. Court is pretty easy if you can clearly explain your case. In the worst case scenario you lose, so what you just pay on a time payment plan (sucks but its the worst case scenario remember) it's not like you can go to jail. Judges are usually on your side with these big business trying to rip off the little guy just don't cave in and pay for something you didn't want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conaan View Post
    legally you are safe, really the best course of action is threaten to file bankruptcy, if they think you dont have any money then they know you cant pay them anyways

hell, if you make it clear that the fees for sueing you outweigh what they will gain they will back down
    will that kill my credit rating?
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

Company screwed you? Welcome to the party=/ our bank will not even allow Golds gym to charge accounts unless the owners sign off on it first, since they have a lot of complaints about trying to cancel your membership even after the two years, and golds still charging you.

Good luck... you probably should have tried and bitched harder when you called the office and called repeatedly
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    As a Druid, you may experience temporary loss of wood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go down to your county court house and ask to talk to legal aid. There is free legal advice available.

Gold's Gym won't sue you. They will send you to collections and collections will try and recover the money.

Send another letter to Gold's, only get delivery confirmation. It costs about $3.

But- Go find your legal aid service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by conaan View Post

Terrible advice. Threatining anything will get you nowhere, and even if you were bankrupt (which will ruin your credit for years) they still want their money.

Signing a contract is the worst thing you can do. BTW they won't sue you. It is such an inconvenience to them. Think about it. Do you really think you're the only person who tries to get out of your contract? Of course not. There are thousands upon thousands of people like you who joined this gym, wanted out and got out. What's the point in suing you? So they can get a few years of money out of you? It's such a small amount.

There just trying to bully you and nothing more. Companies do this. Stand firm and say I wanted out and I'm out. Deal with it.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2011-03-07 at 01:40 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    i don't understand why you didn't just grab the contract by force and rip it up yourself.
    Not for civil cases.

Pretty much what Math said, as long as you have proof that you sent these papers in before the grace period end and that they refused to abide by your right as a citizen then you have a sure fire case right there.

Call them and explain to them, very slowly, everything you just stated here. And when you call, don't be a jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matherl View Post
    countersue them if they try and sue you for breaking the US law
    Pretty much this. Threaten to sue them for not following the grace period. They could just be blowing smoke too. Also, do you have a copy of the contract or any record of when it was signed? If you can prove they didn't follow your request to back out they have nothing.

Don't file for bankruptcy. It'll ruin your credit and if they are actually serious enough about suing you they won't care if you are bankrupt.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Because then the douche in the jogging suit would have him charged with assault.
    No the state doesn't have to give you a lawyer if you are being sued. You can apply for legal aid but if you make any money you wont qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Terrible advice. Threatining anything will get you nowhere, and even if you were bankrupt (which will ruin your credit for years) they still want their money.
    they are threatening him, if he shows them he doesnt have anything then they waste money, its called business

either you take a bow and pay up, or you find a way to screw them

Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Signing a contract is the worst thing you can do.
    I can think of multiple things worse, ever heard of AIDS? guess how that got started

Butt sex+ Monkey

whats worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    As a Druid, you may experience temporary loss of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Calenture9 View Post
    Call them and explain to them, very slowly, everything you just stated here. And when you call, don't be a jerk.
    This guy is smart. First call the gym where you opened the account and ask to speak to the manager. If that doesn't do anything go further up the ladder. the lower level employees usually don't care to much about their jobs but the people higher up are usually way nicer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    will that kill my credit rating?

bankruptcy nullifies your credit for 7 years, meaning you have none. But from the looks of it, granted, I'm no legal expert, I still would doubt you need to file for bankruptcy. There have been A LOT of lawsuits posted up online and on the radio, talking about how judges are cracking down on these fast hussle, bait and switch contracts that screw people. Best of luck to you.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix