Shaman Healing at low levels

So I'm working on leveling a Shaman who is currently level 18 - and I am putting my points into the Elemental tree. I've healed a couple of randoms already without any issue. (I have both a Resto Druid and Holy Priest at lvl 85 so healing is nothing new to me) I got into one last night and right as we got to the first boss, one of the Slimes spawned and aggro'd onto me. The tank ended up dying because I was trying to run closer to him and my heal just didn't go off in time.

As we ran back, the tank pointed out that I was healing as Ele and that I really should be Resto. She is geared in full heirlooms (save for the helm) and every time my heal lands on the tank, it brings him back to full health and a large portion of it is over healing. (I currently have only Healing Wave as my only means to heal with).

Anyways, my question ultimately is this - should I be spec'd resto to heal at these low levels and why? And if not, around what level should I start healing Randoms as a Resto Shaman? My thoughts were probably somewhere around level 30 when I can pick up Dual Spec.

I mean, you don't have to be Resto when you're that low. However, Earth Shield (gained at level 10) is a ton of healing. If you have a tank in full heirloom gear then ES will end up doing most of your healing. I'd say just stick it out with what you're doing until you can get Dual Spec at 30.

You should definitely be fine until 30 or so and past, especially if you've got heirlooms or if the tank does. I mean, it'd be a LOT easier to just go Resto and sit there following the tank, much less stressful and less risky.
    and yes, ES is a gift from God. You get to do almost nothing and can window out all the time. Makes it less of a grind to play Chocolatier 2 or legit Bejewled instead.

There's really no reason to spec into a healing tree (imo) unless for some reason you are dead set on doing so. Healing at the lower levels is a bit hit and miss at times; sometimes I'll run into the tanks who figure shields are overrated, which is okay if they can hold aggro :P, and the other times I'll run into tanks that know what they're doing and find myself DPSing more than healing from lack of anything to do.

I'd personally recommend just queuing as elemental (DPS) and waiting until you have a dual spec to heal, if you so desire.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I mean, you don't have to be Resto when you're that low. However, Earth Shield (gained at level 10) is a ton of healing. If you have a tank in full heirloom gear then ES will end up doing most of your healing. I'd say just stick it out with what you're doing until you can get Dual Spec at 30.
    This. If you're in Elemental because you mostly quests and just do Dungeons when there are quests for them, you're fine. If you're leveling mostly or purely through the LFD tool though, I'd highly recommend going Resto immediately.

Deleted
    As the posts above. There should be no problem for you healing if you got hierlooms and a brain, specc usually gets important around 40-50'ish IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah go resto its mpre fun, now and again u will come across bad tanks even when they have BoA's

Bad players are universal no matter what level you're playing at.

As for randoms it's either to run for quests or just a daily one for the bonus experience. If I was leveling via Randoms I would definitely be spec'd Resto just to make my life easier.

Its just good to know that I'm not crazy for thinking it's really not an issue.

yeah your mana efficiency will improve being resto spec'd, esp. with Earth Shield. That's important. If you want to play Ele, go DPS.
    Ilam - <Gardian> | Wiping with Benefits - Frostmourne US - armory

Deleted
    If I remember correct, your cast time on Healing Wave will go down if you spec restro.
    I changed to restro @ lvl 25 and its really great to have Earth shield.
    Before that I didn't to randoms.

ppl will get annoyed if you are element, but only if someone die.

The only thing speccing resto lets you do is afk more, since earth shield can pretty much keep a tank alive by itself up to about level 80, unless you're fighting 3 packs at once. I've been leveling a blood DK the last few weeks, and in most instances I don't even need healing. Things die in seconds and the healer (usually actually a dps) follows me around either doing nothing or dpsing.

Deleted
    Our heals, except Healing Surge have casttimes of 3 seconds plain. This is made because elemental shamans shouldn't be able to heal(Edit: like a healer). It's one of the factors that are similar to other classes.

Ret palas not having int on gear like in BC
    Balance Druid sacrificing moonkinform
    Shadowpriest sacrificing Shadowform

etc.

You get instant 0.5 sec casting time cut off just by choosing resto, so you can have that in mind. Respeccing resto at lower levels isn't necessary though, if you're good. You just have to live with no "oh-shit" instants or fast/efficient casts.