Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What ever happened to the Wrathgate style cinematics?

I remember when Cataclysm was announced Blizzard commented on how Cataclysm will have plenty of epic in-game cinematics like the Wrathgate and Arthas Defeat but we only have two, the Worgen and Goblin ones. Yes we have the action-scenes via NPC actions but nothing like the Wrathgate

what about the cinematics for deepholm? and i dont know if you got around to it but there were some cinematics involving the red dragonflight in twilight highlands, if you managed to do those quests

Have you done all the Twilight Highlands quests? Dunno about you, but Alexstrasza vs Deathwing is pretty epic :-) and yes, i realize it's not a true cinematic, but honestly i prefer it that way. It's more immersive but just as epic

Deleted
    Those wasn't the same as the Wrathgate, Arthas Fall, Worgen & Goblin cinematics

Quote Originally Posted by WinteryToast22 View Post
    what about the cinematics for deepholm? and i dont know if you got around to it but there were some cinematics involving the red dragonflight in twilight highlands, if you managed to do those quests
    He means the action based style where the NPCs move their lips, and perform actions you can't make your own character model do. I wonder this as well.

Deleted
    Yes Blizzard said we would have more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH16531Ny_s

But we got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Tm7HbNLkY

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1187 View Post
    He means the action based style where the NPCs move their lips, and perform actions you can't make your own character model do. I wonder this as well.
    We traded up on one (yes, exactly ONE Wrathgate style cinematic, Wrathgate) in exchange for a much larger quantity of less technically involved cinematics. It's up to you to decide if you like it more or less, but to answer the actual question of "what happened" to them, there you go.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1710171424
    ^Crap like this is why battle.net threads get locked. Blizzard is not on a crusade against you.

I suspect the answer is that the Wrathgate cinematic was immersion breaking in some ways. Simple as that. In-game cinematics are cool, but they're not really that cool when you don't see your character participating in them.

You're also forgetting the Death of the Lich King cinematic. Neither of these were very popular in practice, and things more like the Battle for Undercity were.

Quote Originally Posted by Revengencer View Post
    We traded up on one (yes, exactly ONE Wrathgate style cinematic, Wrathgate) in exchange for a much larger quantity of less technically involved cinematics. It's up to you to decide if you like it more or less, but to answer the actual question of "what happened" to them, there you go.
    Poor trade. The wrathgate cinematic was epic and I remember it still now. I cant remember any cinematic in cata except for the Alexstrasza vs Deathwing. But that wasnt really due to the quality but the epicness of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I remember when Cataclysm was announced Blizzard commented on how Cataclysm will have plenty of epic in-game cinematics like the Wrathgate and Arthas Defeat but we only have two, the Worgen and Goblin ones. Yes we have the action-scenes via NPC actions but nothing like the Wrathgate
    Blizzard said the Wrathgate style cinematics take a lot of time/effort to create and in future would be going for a lot more of the in-game model based mini-cinematic's instead, hence why Uldum felt like there was a mini-cinematic every 5 quests right until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    I suspect the answer is that the Wrathgate cinematic was immersion breaking in some ways. Simple as that. In-game cinematics are cool, but they're not really that cool when you don't see your character participating in them.

You're also forgetting the Death of the Lich King cinematic. Neither of these were very popular in practice, and things more like the Battle for Undercity were.
    The wrathgate cinematic was tremendously popular. I remember the reaction from most my guildies the first time they saw it, it was a sense of awe.

Deleted
    I

In my experience it's been the complete opposite

Folk prefered Wrathgate than the dull Undercity siege

To each their own, btw there are Wrathgate Style Cinematics in Cataclysm, in the Worgen and Goblin starter zones just as Blizzard said they would be. The reaction to scripted events in Uldum and Deepholme were really quite good however, and were very well received.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28096

This was begging for a cinematic

Deleted
    btw there are Wrathgate Style Cinematics in Cataclysm, in the Worgen and Goblin starter zones
    I believe I said this in my OP

Blizz has cut alot of corners this x-pac and you are surprised by this?

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    The wrathgate cinematic was tremendously popular. I remember the reaction from most my guildies the first time they saw it, it was a sense of awe.
    I experienced the same thing. All of my guildmates loved it but I thought it was pretty hilarious (in a negative sense). The dialogue was like taken from a very poor action movie and lore wise it felt kinda odd. The apothecary's very nice voiceacting and the music in the end saved it from being completely ridiculous in my opinion.
    I prefer the Cinematics in Cataclysm much more. Especially the Worgen one was badass and besides that, I'd rather experience something like Liam's speech during the Battle for Gilneas Quest first hand than watch a cinematic in which my character doesn't even show up.

Deleted
    I cba to find the quote now, but they told us in Blizzcon or by a blue post that wrath gate-style cinematics will be rather rare. The reason was that their uniquenesness would wear out if we would see one every now and then.

We'll definately see more of them in the future though. The next raid tier is my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    Poor trade. The wrathgate cinematic was epic and I remember it still now. I cant remember any cinematic in cata except for the Alexstrasza vs Deathwing. But that wasnt really due to the quality but the epicness of the story.
    I remembered about 5 from Uldum to but each his own I suppose. Anyway, we got one wrathgate style cinematic through all of wrath. It just happened to be at the beginning. There's nothing to say we won't get one in 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, or further if they do a 4.4 or 4.5 (given what they turned 4.1 into they probably will to to at least 4.4). We may not get one, but we may. No real telling either way at this point.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1710171424
    ^Crap like this is why battle.net threads get locked. Blizzard is not on a crusade against you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phera View Post
    I thought it was pretty hilarious (in a negative sense). The dialogue was like taken from a very poor action movie.
    That's WoW to a tee though