Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    No NO NO

Physically "AND" Mentally challenging = Sport

Chess is nothing more than a mental exercise
    Horse racing is not a sport either simply because the jockey does nothing other than bounce around on the horse.

Bowling and golf are actually sports because they do require you to both physically and mentally exert yourself even if not pushing and physical limitations.
    ( I like to call them sissy sports)

Oh and Driving/nascar is not a sport as it does not require you to exert yourself physically
    Ever seen them broom?

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice View Post
    But that one placekicker in The Replacements smoked while he kicked field goals. Does that mean that football (the NFL) is not a sport?

On-topic: NASCAR. Driving around in circles for hours and hours does not constitute a sport. Regardless of how hot it gets in the vehicle, its still not a sport.
    let me see you drive that car @ 200 mph, mere inches from the guys in front, behind, and beside you, without wiping them out, oh and Nascar drivers lose on average 15 pounds of water mass a race. yeah, thats more water than any other sport out there. also the g-forces pushed on you are equilent to have a 15 pound baby hanging onto your head. if you do not think Nascar is a sport you have never TRIED it, and thus you cannot talk.

---------- Post added 2011-03-28 at 04:41 PM ----------

No NO NO

Physically "AND" Mentally challenging = Sport

Chess is nothing more than a mental exercise
    Horse racing is not a sport either simply because the jockey does nothing other than bounce around on the horse.

Bowling and golf are actually sports because they do require you to both physically and mentally exert yourself even if not pushing and physical limitations.
    ( I like to call them sissy sports)

Oh and Driving/nascar is not a sport as it does not require you to exert yourself physically
    let me see you drive that car the way they do in nascar (200 MPH, mere inches from the cars around you) for 4 hours, come back and tell me you did not physically exert yourself.
    Actually Mr. Lennon, I can imagine a world with no war, hate, religion, or violence. I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming

I have a simple (at least to me) solution/answer to this argument. We as a society, community, locality, or group can and usually do deem many activities, pastimes, interests, or whatever as a sports. Me and a few drunk friends invented what we called Beer Bong Volleyball. Rules like volleyball but single player per side. The court was the concrete slab under a mobile home awning. Three touches to get the ball over the net. Fail and it's beer bong time. Oh , forgot to mention the ball we used was a beach ball. Pretty redneck huh? My point is that we considered it a sport and we attracted other players from nearby and held tournaments and we started to take it seriously (as much as one can while hammered). So at the local level it was a sport (to us). I bet most of what we call sports or that which we watch on TV as sports started out pretty much the same way. Just about anything we do can considered a sport. So anything you don't think is a sport is a sport somewhere at some level. The question is now moot.

10+ Year Old Account
    No NO NO
    Uh huh. Try getting tossed around by a couple lateral gees for a few hours and say that again.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nascar, driving in a circle and drifting people is not challenging, especially when everyone drives the same bloody car.

---------- Post added 2012-08-30 at 05:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    poker...why is this on espn?

---------- Post added 2011-03-18 at 06:18 AM ----------

bowling is a sport. ill defend it. and yes you can get tired from it.
    Poker, billiards, darts and bowling are not really sports, though bowling is more of a sport then any of the four. Being good at billiards requires strong geometric skills, but that's about it.

Fishing isn't a sport either, and they show that crap on TV as well. Fishing is a past time, that's about it.

I'm no golfer, but anyone who hasn't tried golf, or even been to a driving range, try taking proper golf swings for 1-2 hours and tell me how you feel the next morning. That being said there's differences between recreation and sport. As much as I don't enjoy watching nascar, it is physically demanding and competitive as well. You can virtually call anything sports now. The argument should be more along the lines of "What types of sports don't belong on mainstream sport networks?" or something like that. It bothers me slightly to see a spelling b on espn and poker re-runs.

This feels like a necro thread but whatever Ill go with it

I have 2 Rules into figuring out whether something should be considered a sport or not. And I mean a real legitimate sport. All it has to do is follow these 2 simple rules and bingo you got yourselves a true sport. Here goes

RULE #1: MUST BE PHYSICALLY DEMANDING
    When finished with this activity you should be sweating. You should be required to be in good physical shape to perform it, be it speed, strength, endurance etc. Playing it enough should even make the body sore, real sports require athleticism. Thats why we call them athletes in the first place
    RULE #2: THERE MUST BE DIRECT HUMAN VS HUMAN COMPETITION
    This is the big one that a lot of "sports" these days dont pass. For it to be qualified as a sport you must be going against someone else DIRECTLY. Meaning their actions effect your actions. They are trying to stop you and you are trying to stop them. This disqualifies things such as Racing (on foot racing not NASCAR) where your time is only reflective on yourself, the competition doesnt have an impact on fast you yourself go. So everything must have another person trying to impede your victory and effecting how you play.

So just pass these 2 simple rules and you are a sport in my book. So sorry video games, swimming, chess, X-Games, track and field, NASCAR, golf... you arent true sports to me.
    Last edited by Jibjabb; 2012-09-03 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    nascar and handegg, both were made to fit maximum number of commercials and as little action as possible

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rugby is the sport of real men, none of that frilly NFL nonsense with armor that gives people concussions and causes spinal injuries as a result of how the sport is designed.

All I can say with the OP of this post is that somebody is completely clueless about drag racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post

I have 2 Rules into figuring out whether something should be considered a sport or not. And I mean a real legitimate sport. All it has to do is follow these 2 simple rules and bingo you got yourselves a true sport. Here goes

When finished with this activity you should be sweating. You should be required to be in good physical shape to perform it, be it speed, strength, endurance etc. Playing it enough should even make the body sore, real sports require athleticism. Thats why we call them athletes in the first place
    This is the big one that a lot of "sports" these days dont pass. For it to be qualified as a sport you must be going against someone else DIRECTLY. Meaning their actions effect your actions. They are trying to stop you and you are trying to stop them. This disqualifies things such as Racing (on foot racing not NASCAR) where your time is only reflective on yourself, the competition doesnt have an impact on fast you yourself go. So everything must have another person trying to impede your victory and effecting how you play.

So just pass these 2 simple rules and you are a sport in my book. So sorry video games, swimming, chess, X-Games, track and field, NASCAR, golf... you arent true sports to me.
    NASCAR - Is both physically demanding and the actions of others very much affect your performance, to question this is to be clueless about the sport or motorsports in general.

Swimming - The other swimmers around you and the affect they have on the water near you has an effect on your performance, which is why people have preffered lanes.

X-games - Includes a lot of head to head sports.

But even with that said I disagree with your concept of a sport. This thread seems to be a bunch of people stating sports that they don't understand and/or dont like. With motorsports in specific, those who think this is not physically demanding really need to just sit in a racing car for 1 lap to be proved wrong, let alone a whole race.

Just an example of Formula 1.

Taking a corner at 4g? braking at 5g? high temperatures in an uncomfortable tight cockpit with a hard floor, for 2 hours? Enough that drivers often used to pass out or collapse after a race, because of the sheer battering their bodies take during that time.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-09-03 at 03:50 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Purgex View Post
    I have done each sport. Baseball is not a sport. Bowling and golf are activities.
    In that respect, anything can be an activity and not a sport. But they are sports to those that have put in the time and excel at it.

---------- Post added 2012-09-03 at 08:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post

Sorry, but there is direct human competition in sports like swimming and track and field, and the majority of it is in the next lane. And yes, it affects how you perform. They push you to excel.

Besides, your rule #2 sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cauzt1cz View Post
    I'm no golfer, but anyone who hasn't tried golf, or even been to a driving range, try taking proper golf swings for 1-2 hours and tell me how you feel the next morning.
    Not to mention that you have to walk to the holes in professional play, no golf carts.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post

Sorry, but there is direct human competition in sports like swimming and track and field, and the majority of it is in the next lane. And yes, it affects how you perform. They push you to excel.

Besides, your rule #2 sucks.
    No there isnt their speed does not affect your speed. "Pusing you to excel" is one of the dumbest things Ive heard you run your fastest thats your job, they are not effecting you, "mental games" is not a direct competition as you could claim that for just about any facet of life. Nobody is asking you to like the rule but in my mind running around for a short period is not a sport. I can have people do wheelbarrow races competitively too, the rest of the world can sit here and call it a sport and Id just call it a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    INB4 NecroLock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Poker, billiards, darts and bowling are not really sports <snip>
    Fishing isn't a sport either, <snip>
    The only reason any of these were labeled "sports" was so networks could justify airing the crap when proper, real sports were between seasons. Yes, I point all 8 fingers and 2 thumbs squarely at ESPN/ESPN 2 for starting that trend, and facepalm them along with every other network that perpetuates those activities as if they are sports.

#FlightIsImportant

Deleted
    This question can easily be solved by our old friend, the flow chart.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/a...isitasport.jpg
    Last edited by mmocb3fb419dbb; 2012-09-03 at 10:20 PM.

ITT:

Butt-hurt people complain about other people getting praise for something they themselves are bad at.

With the exception of some really bizarre ends of the spectrum almost all the sports mentioned here is not just something you can roll out of bed and do. It takes skill and hard work. Mentally and Physically. People who mentioned car and horse races? You being serious? You have clearly have no idea what professional racers have to go through to hone their crafts. The pure ignorance in this thread wants me to call troll on most of these posts...
    Last edited by Commander Jaco; 2012-09-03 at 09:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346
    no, didnt you get the memo? only whites can be racist

Deleted
    Climbing Everest takes a lot of skill and hard work, that doesn't make it a sport.

Everest is a mountain, climbing a mountain sounds like a sport I know of... Oh yeah, Mountain Climbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy1346
    no, didnt you get the memo? only whites can be racist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Jaco View Post
    Everest is a mountain, climbing a mountain sounds like a sport I know of... Oh yeah, Mountain Climbing
    Mountain climbing isn't a sport.

If you consult the chart you'll see that it fails the first question. Mountain climbing is an activity.

Only problem I have with that chart is that it says if there are judges its not a sport. While in many cases thats true but in the case of Boxing I dont see how that cant be considered a sport.