Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] I need a book!

Hello,

I'm a 17 y/o male, and I just finished LoTR, Hobbit, His Dark Materials.
    I need something else to read. Does anyone have an suggestions?
    I like Fantasy novels.

Thanks,
    Patrickstarr / Funkymonk

The Percy Jackson series is fairly good.
    I've read a few Magic The Gathering novels and they seem to be fairly decent.

Also, a few other series I'd recommend that aren't fantasy....
    -Rangers Apprentice - Sort of a medieval setting with knights and rangers (loosely based on england and surrounding areas)
    -Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series - Bad-ass CIA superhero that fucks shit up... essentially the literary version of Jack Bauer. Possibly better.
    -Tomorrow, when the war began - Aussie series by John Marsden that centres around a group of teenagers and their actions when Australia gets invaded. It's actually an amazing series, and the author 'gets' teenagers.
    -I'd also recommend everything by Matthew Reilly. It's mostly action, not fantasy, but still brilliant.

For reference im a 19 y/o male.

Also, Harry Potter, assuming you haven't read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

It's not fantasy but Frank Herbert's DUNE is an epic read.
    If you are going with just fantasy try the classic dragon lance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the other 2 that follow it are pretty good also.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Read a classic Stephen King novel. Some people love him, some hate him. One way to find out.

My favorite is The Stand.

1984. Just an amazing book.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The Once and Future King" T.H. White I loved this book in high school and everyone should read it at least once.

Not exactly "fantasy" but at your age, I devoured the entire "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. Ditto "The Stand" by Stephen King.

I don't know how mature your reading tastes are. But I'll assume you're an avid reader. If you're up for more adult fare, you can start reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin. The first book is "A Game of Thrones." It's fairly explicit though, so be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    "The Once and Future King" T.H. White I loved this book in high school and everyone should read it at least once.

Not exactly "fantasy" but at your age, I devoured the entire "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. Ditto "The Stand" by Stephen King.

I don't know how mature your reading tastes are. But I'll assume you're an avid reader. If you're up for more adult fare, you can start reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin. The first book is "A Game of Thrones." It's fairly explicit though, so be warned.
    A Song of Ice and Fire series is amazing, great suggestion
    Also everyone should read DUNE, its just that good
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

I'd recommend:

The inheritance cycle (AKA Eragon)
    Percy Jackson (most known for the worst movie adaptation EVER)
    The Horus heresy (Warhammer 40k, si-fi with fantasy elements, dark as shit)
    The heroes of olympus (continuation of the Percy Jackson series)
    Deadtown, and sequel Hellforged (modern fantasy, shapeshifters, zombies and everything else you'd find in a "monster" book)
    Basically everything Robin Hobb has made, really good.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with Ken Follett Start by reading Pillars of the Earth and then followup with World Wihout End

Even though they are comics, and not a "book", per se, I've found the story in The Sandman comics to be incredibly epic and vast, and I'd recommend those to just about everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be a stupid and quite obvious suggestion but, try reading Harry Potter if you haven't already.

Also, if you like teen romance/fantasy (guess not since most guys doesn't) try Twilight, I actually think it's good and I recently finished Lotr/the hobbit and I'm a 17 year old male aswell. Although it's more about the teen romance then fantasy.

Inb4 flame :/

EDIT: I have some fantasy books at home that are quite good, but I can't remember their names, I'll come back and edit it in when I come home. It's about travelling wizards and whatnot.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Rober Jordan's Wheel of Time series (that will kill a LOT of time, 14 books of 700+ pages each and you will love every page of it)
    Sword of Truth Series
    Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin
    Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson
    Dark Tower series by Stephen King
    along the lines of Dune, the Foundation series by Issac Assimov
    The Dresden Files
    The Rachel Morrigan series (aka, The Hollows)
    The Hidden History (Starts w/ Man With The Golden Torc) and the Darksiders series by Simon R. Green

If you don't like all of the above (let alone any) you can hardly call yourself a fantasy fan. Enjoy
    "Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - The Tick

And yes, it is an exploding beer.

Antisaintz - Because, well, I wuv my dk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint42 View Post
    Sword of Truth Series
    This series here is bad... REALLY bad.

It started awesome, but now that it's gone above 18 books, its gone utterly RIDICULOUS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire series is amazing, great suggestion
    Also everyone should read DUNE, its just that good
    I'm actually debating what I'm going to reread next. Ice and Fire to catch back up before this summer's new book, or Dune just because I haven't read them in 20 years. Hehe, I've read all the Dune books at least 4 times each, but it's been a long time, and maybe my (almost) middle age will have a new perspective on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorial View Post
    This series here is bad... REALLY bad.

It started awesome, but now that it's gone above 18 books, its gone utterly RIDICULOUS.
    U think so? i thought it tailed off a bit true, but the last 3 books were great i thought. Really a good way to finish strong. Now, if you want a series that started good and ended up just...terribad, try the Starman series. First 3 when it focused on the Starman were good in a cheesy read-it-on-the-airplane way, the last 3 that focused on his son was on par w/ G-Gundams end for cheezey love > all endings.
    "Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - The Tick

And yes, it is an exploding beer.

Antisaintz - Because, well, I wuv my dk

I recommend The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a trilogy, with the first two books out (second just came out) The first book is called The Name of the Wind, the second is The Wise Man's Fear, both of which are very good reads.

Other books I might recommend are Dusk and Dawn by Tim Lebbon. They are very good reads albeit pretty gory and raunchy.

Deleted
    Start with:

The Farseer Trilogy (my personal favorite)
    Assassin's Apprentice
    Royal Assassin
    Assassn's Quest

The Liveship Traders Trilogy
    Ship of Magic
    Mad Ship
    Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man Trilogy
    Fool's Errand
    Golden Fool
    Fool's Fate

All 9 bookns are from the same author, and take place in the same world. It is heavily discussed whether you should read Liveship before Tawny Man, or the other way around. I read them this way, but shamefully can net tell you which order is better. However Tawny Man takes place 15y after Farsees & Liveship.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint42 View Post
    U think so? i thought it tailed off a bit true, but the last 3 books were great i thought. Really a good way to finish strong. Now, if you want a series that started good and ended up just...terribad, try the Starman series. First 3 when it focused on the Starman were good in a cheesy read-it-on-the-airplane way, the last 3 that focused on his son was on par w/ G-Gundams end for cheezey love > all endings.
    I think i'll stay away from that one then...

Ah, forgot one of my all-time favorite series: the Amber series by Roger Zelazny

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martyris View Post
    Start with:

The Farseer Trilogy (my personal favorite)
    Assassin's Apprentice
    Royal Assassin
    Assassn's Quest

The Liveship Traders Trilogy
    Ship of Magic
    Mad Ship
    Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man Trilogy
    Fool's Errand
    Golden Fool
    Fool's Fate
    Read them in this order, chronologically speaking, this is the correct route