Low DPS against Ascendant Council

Lachry on The Venture Co here.

Ran BoT using Flack of Draconic Mind and Severed Sagefish Head and was only doing 8 - 9 k DPS.

I could really use some advice and/or help.

Thanks in advance!

Would help if you showed us your armory first. Also, 10 or 25 man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way
    You say your DPS is low without providing any information about your rotation, region or raid composition and expect people to check their crystal balls for answers?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    One cannot simply walk into Mulgore...

Deleted
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...achry/advanced

Probably 10 man - not much info showing up in their guild armory though.

I did 9k in BH in the holy gear I leveled in without knowing dick about shadow, so I'd say you are just missing some of the finer points of the rotation. Multidotting on this fight will also increase your dps a lot, but moreso than that it seems like having a look at some shadow priest guides could do you a lot of good. I don't play shadow so I can't really give much for advice, though.

Sorry, somewhat new to this level. 10-man, my rotation is SW:P, DP & VT then MF and drop MB when I have at least 1 orb, keep up my DoTs, SW: D at %25. I use Shadowfiend and Lifeblood on CD. DA mainly for mana and Dispersion if I OOM.

I have to move around so much in these fights. It really impacts my DPS. Also, how do you folks do target acquisition? Tab doesn't seem to work some of the time... like when I need it to.
    Last edited by Lachry; 2011-03-08 at 04:31 PM.

You still have a few pieces of gear that you have not reforged. You are still almost 2% shy of hit cap (which some say doesn't matter) and personally I think you need a lot more Haste. Some of your reforges make no sense like your flamebloom gloves (mast->crit?). If I were you I would reforge my gear to get hit cap, reforge the rest for haste and add all the Haste enchantments instead. There are plenty of nice spirit and haste pieces even off the JP vendor like the Mask of New Snow. As a closing note, our Shadow Fiend does a lot of damage and you are not specced into veiled shadows on your Primary (active) Spec. If you are still having dps problems after that then you probably need to work on tightening up your rotation. Make sure you start using SW at 25% since you didn't mention it.

In 10 man especially, you may have been missing some key buffs to up your dps.
    Last edited by Zinzani; 2011-03-08 at 04:37 PM.

You have 2 gathering professions, you should be matching the socket on your hat, skipping the veiled shadows talent for silence decreases how many times you'll be able to shadow fiend in a fight considerably, the gem in your belt buckle should be 40 int, and you should get the 95 int/55 spi spellthread enchant for your legs.

If you're just interested in increasing your dps on this fight, you should be multidotting. Use SW whenever you're forced to move to keep mana up so you don't have to disperse for mana.

This fight is mostly about movement control, i play a boomkin as my main and heres how i handle the fight.

P1. Stand in a central position where you can hit both bosses without moving, this position should also be semi close to a fire trail to remove waterlogged and get back into position in the amount of gcd's it takes you to refresh your dots and mabey pop a cd just to maximise your dps. Reapply your dots to the fire dude when he does his jump and run back to the tank so your not even turning around to refresh them, this is assuming you have ranged on ice and mele on fire. Turning to break the shield should not involve anything but a keyboard turn about half a turn and continue your rotation, when its gone, turn back around and continue.

P2. There is really nothing in this phase you can do to help the movement, you need the winds / grounding buffs so you do what you have to to get them, GTFO with lightning rod, even without the buff you need, no exceptions, and being on arion, the air dude, you will only be in range of her about half the time with all her porting around, so do what you can but your dps will come primarily from P1 and P3. Just survive and nuke in P3.

P3. Get to a spot and keep it. Only move when your out of range or about to be hit with a lava seed. this phase is where you should use your big cd's and be popping your smaller cd's / potion to really squeez out all the dps you can through hero. If you and someone else are chaining the lightning, dont wait for them to move away from you, take the initative and help your healers out, dps isnt everything, remember that.

Hope i could be some help

for fights with non-DPS sections damage meter addons are very very poor, as they basically take your damage done/ time in combat and there is your DPS. for fights with long periods where you arent actually fighting anything this greatly skews the numbers.

so long as the boss dies DPS numbers dont really matter. now if you are hitting soft enrage in P3 then DPS matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

okay, a few hints for that specific fight:

- multi dot, click onto the name plates rather than tabbing. tabbing is never a solution. (tidyplates is a good addon)
    - if you fail at mouseturning between to mobs, set focus target on one mob, you don't need to face a mob in order to place dots (VT and SW:P).
    - sw:death at the end of every phase (the last few percent before they disappear) in order to reg mana
    - get heart of ice buff for damaging the aegis of flame
    - only move when you really need to
    - save dispersion for when earthquake etc. hits, so you can save moving to a tornado and so on.
    - you should also be safe if you shield yourself before every special ability in phase2, and ignore tornados and such. if your healers mana tolerates this, that is.
    - stay in middle, as arion will teleport around and you'll have to readjust range
    - in p3, your tank has to be quick enough with pulling the elementium monstrosity out of the blue puddles - if not, you will do less dps.

last but not least - the only dps race happens in p3 - i do 25k single target, but overall on ascendant council i only manage to keep up 15-20k, depending on how much i have to move.
    its just like that, can't help it.
    Last edited by maquiladora; 2011-03-08 at 04:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    practice multi-dotting on dummies, preferably not two that are directly beside one another.
    profit.

A lot is about getting comfortable with the fight, knowing when you actually have to move. Most people just panic and move a lot more than they have to. There are also ways to save movement. As an example in p1 you can avoid the water bombs so you don't get waterlogged and as thus you don't have to run to clear it off and that would save you movement.
    In p2 you have a VERY LONG time between "ultimates" to get the proper resistance, move when it suits you.
    If you figure that that one whirlwind/grounding field is too far away, just don't take it and disperse the spell effect instead, cancel dispersion right after the spell hits.
    In p3, know what way your tank will move and place yourself accordingly.

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for all the great responses. I obviously have some homework to do.